IGNORED

7800basic programmers: what is your PC screen resolution?

Whether you use 7800basic now or plan to in the future, what is your PC screen resolution?

Mine is:

1360 x 768

I copied the batari Basic page, eliminated most of the content, and made it wider as a test:

www.randomterrain.com/7800basictest.html

Please let me know if you guys can stand it that wide.

Thanks.

• Like 1

The reason I asked is because I'm thinking about using a wider page for the 7800basic guide. It starts out pretty early with a chart and that chart might fit in the center between the table of contents and the index if the page is wider.

• Like 1

I copied the batari Basic page, eliminated most of the content, and made it wider as a test:

Please let me know if you guys can stand it that wide.

Thanks.

On my 1366x768 laptop that is perfect. I like it.

• Like 1

Since there are no complaints so far, I'll go ahead and use that new wider version.

it's going to be a bother for me as every machine I use bB and 7800Basic on has that side clipped. Does it really give you that much more space to not make it OK on 1024x screens?

Not complaining. It's an actual question. I'll never have your web skills :)

it's going to be a bother for me as every machine I use bB and 7800Basic on has that side clipped. Does it really give you that much more space to not make it OK on 1024x screens?

Not complaining. It's an actual question. I'll never have your web skills :)

If I had Web skills, I could make the page adjust to whatever screen size you are using. But since I don't know how to do that without making everything look like crap, I'm stuck picking a specific width.

Take a look at the test page again and be sure to refresh the page so the updated style sheet will kick in:

Scroll down until you see a chart. Do you see how early in the guide that the chart appears? it will be between the table of contents and the index area.

The only thing I can think of would be to move the table of contents over to right side above the index and totally get rid of that yellow section on the left side. Then the page wouldn't have to be so wide. It would look kind of like this:

www.randomterrain.com/7800basictest2.html

If nobody minds having the table of contents above the index, the page won't have to be widened.

Thanks for looking into this, R.T. 7800basictest2 works AOK.

I just thought of another solution: I've almost never used the links on the left-hand side. What about swapping them for the links on the right?

It would probably be better to just get rid of the yellow section on the left. The table of contents on the bB page was smaller than the index and was pretty much static, except for when the DPC+ section was added, so it could go down for a certain distance and quit, then there would be more room for the actual text. The index is a continually growing beast, along with links to example programs and other things, so it wouldn't work out on the left side.

The 7800basic page will probably follow a similar pattern, with a smaller table of contents, and a larger index and various useful links to example programs and so on. Can you see the full yellow section on the right with 7800basictest2?

• Like 1

I think having the table of contents above the frequent links is a UI improvement in itself. They serve a similar function, so putting them near each other makes sense.

When I get done with the first draft of the 7800basic page, I can see about doing the same with the bB page. That skinny text area in the middle has been bothering me since I added the table of contents.

• Like 1