IGNORED

CV ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases - v1.1

Ikrananka

Around one year ago I commenced a project to redump ALL of the commercially released ColecoVision cartridges (including publisher and regional variants). Why do this? Well, it is a known fact that many of the ColecoVision ROM files and ROM file collections available in the public domain are a mess and include major inconsistencies, multiple incorrect versions, missing versions, bad dumps, overdumps, underdumps, etc. This project seeks to rectify this situation by compiling the definitive ColecoVision ROM package for all titles that were commercially released throughout the 1980s.

The objective of this project is to compile a complete and clean set of ROM files for all of the titles commercially released for the ColecoVision from inception through to, and including, the 1980s Telegames releases. This project specifically excludes all non-commercial and unofficial releases such as demos, prototypes, hacks, bootlegs and test cartridges, but does include reproductions where they were commercially released as well as fixes to ROMS with known issues. The intent being to provide the definitive go-to commercial releases ROM set.

It's been a long haul, and now after finally tying up the loose ends on Sector Alpha, the last ROM I had issues with to resolve, I am pleased to announce the very first public release of this new ROM set. The attached zip file includes the following:

• ColecoVision ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases (1982-198x) - v1.1.pdf - this provides details of the project, the methodology used for rom dumping and naming as well as details of the major findings, the latter will I'm sure make interesting reading.
  • CV ROM Update Project Needs List v1.1.txt - although this ROM package is deemed to be complete there are a number of rare carts that the project contributors were unable to provide. As such it has not been possible to verify if the ROMs in these carts match those of their corresponding main release or if they may in fact be a variant. If you have any of the carts in the needs list I would be extremely grateful if you could send me a PM. My normal approach is to ask if you can send me the cart for dumping and I will return the cart to you within 24 hours of receipt. Return shipping is at my expense but I do ask that you contribute a little to the project by paying for shipping to me.
  • Coleco ColecoVision - Commercial Games - folder containing ALL of the new ROM files for the commercially released games. The folder also contains a DAT file that can be used to verify the ROM set using a tool such as Clrmamepro or ROMVault.
  • Coleco ColecoVision - Commercial Educational - folder containing ALL of the new ROM files for the commercially released educational titles. The folder also contains a DAT file that can be used to verify the ROM set using a tool such as Clrmamepro or ROMVault.

Due to the size and complexity of this project I cannot guarantee that I have not made any errors in its compilation. That said, I have done my level best to be careful and diligent throughout and honestly believe that if there are any errors they are likely to be minor in nature (e.g. incorrect name). Nevertheless, if you do spot any errors or problems then please let me know. As mentioned above, I would like for this ROM collection to become the definitive package and as such your help in correcting any problems is essential.

I would also like to thank both Pixelboy and NIAD for their extensive help with this project.

In the meantime, download and enjoy!!!!!!

ColecoVision ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases (1982-198x) - v1.1.zip

• Like 23

Thanks for this. :) There's been so many bad dumps on the net... there really needed to be someone to step up and try and archive a good set. Kudos. :)

What utility methods are being used to dump these?

I see a lot of Canadian variants on the want list. Are these known to be different, or is it just dumping to see if it is different?

I see a lot of Canadian variants on the want list. Are these known to be different, or is it just dumping to see if it is different?

Those on the needs list may well turn out to yield exactly the same ROMs as those already dumped. It's just that unless they are dumped we will never know.

Amazing and very useful info! :) :thumbsup:

Impressed by the fact it took you one year to get all this together :)

The dumping process was very time consuming in itself, but the most time consuming piece was the resolution of some of the issues that arose such as with Sector Alpha which you solved for us :-D

• Like 1

By the way, there's no mention of "Super Sketch" in your documentation. If you don't want to dump the cart and include the ROM in the collection, you should at least mention why in the docs. ;)

The question is why didn't you mention this before - :-o :grin: ???

I think the reason for non-inclusion is obvious in that it is useless without the rest of the hardware (and I seriously doubt anyone will ever emulate the hardware). Nevertheless, when I release the next version of the pdf I will include a description of why it is not included.

Congratulations on finally getting this project into a release state and making it available for all to benefit from. I figured Sector Alpha was the last item delaying this official release and now not only do we finally have a good rom image of Sector Alpha, but now we have a GOOD and CLEAN rom set of original ColecoVision commercial releases. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of hours you spent on this project, but just know that your hardwork is very much appreciated and as was mentioned above... inspirational.

BTW, I hate to admit to playing a small part in the mess of rom images that have been floating around the Internet for years and I was very happy to play a small part in helping you clean things up once and for all.

Looks like it's gonna be a late night! :thumbsup:

Why did you put the Rom of Ghost'n Zombies in your package?? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm just kidding.. ;-) ;-)

You did a fantastic work!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tons of Thanks!

LOL - and thanks. I was very careful to ensure that I didn't put any homebrew games in the package other than yours :-o :D :D :D

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the positive feedback everyone - certainly makes all the hard work worth it.

I'll post a little more insights into my findings over the coming weekend. Plus I will post an updated needs list, the one included in the attachment is not fully up to date.

Do you think it would be useful if this thread was Pinned?

Around one year ago I commenced a project to redump ALL of the commercially released ColecoVision cartridges (including publisher and regional variants). Why do this? Well, it is a known fact that many of the ColecoVision ROM files and ROM file collections available in the public domain are a mess and include major inconsistencies, multiple incorrect versions, missing versions, bad dumps, overdumps, underdumps, etc. This project seeks to rectify this situation by compiling the definitive ColecoVision ROM package for all titles that were commercially released throughout the 1980s.

The objective of this project is to compile a complete and clean set of ROM files for all of the titles commercially released for the ColecoVision from inception through to, and including, the 1980s Telegames releases. This project specifically excludes all non-commercial and unofficial releases such as demos, prototypes, hacks, bootlegs and test cartridges, but does include reproductions where they were commercially released as well as fixes to ROMS with known issues. The intent being to provide the definitive go-to commercial releases ROM set.

It's been a long haul, and now after finally tying up the loose ends on Sector Alpha, the last ROM I had issues with to resolve, I am pleased to announce the very first public release of this new ROM set. The attached zip file includes the following:

• ColecoVision ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases (1982-198x) - v1.1.pdf - this provides details of the project, the methodology used for rom dumping and naming as well as details of the major findings, the latter will I'm sure make interesting reading.
  • CV ROM Update Project Needs List v1.1.txt - although this ROM package is deemed to be complete there are a number of rare carts that the project contributors were unable to provide. As such it has not been possible to verify if the ROMs in these carts match those of their corresponding main release or if they may in fact be a variant. If you have any of the carts in the needs list I would be extremely grateful if you could send me a PM. My normal approach is to ask if you can send me the cart for dumping and I will return the cart to you within 24 hours of receipt. Return shipping is at my expense but I do ask that you contribute a little to the project by paying for shipping to me.
  • Coleco ColecoVision - Commercial Games - folder containing ALL of the new ROM files for the commercially released games. The folder also contains a DAT file that can be used to verify the ROM set using a tool such as Clrmamepro or ROMVault.
  • Coleco ColecoVision - Commercial Educational - folder containing ALL of the new ROM files for the commercially released educational titles. The folder also contains a DAT file that can be used to verify the ROM set using a tool such as Clrmamepro or ROMVault.

Due to the size and complexity of this project I cannot guarantee that I have not made any errors in its compilation. That said, I have done my level best to be careful and diligent throughout and honestly believe that if there are any errors they are likely to be minor in nature (e.g. incorrect name). Nevertheless, if you do spot any errors or problems then please let me know. As mentioned above, I would like for this ROM collection to become the definitive package and as such your help in correcting any problems is essential.

I would also like to thank both Pixelboy and NIAD for their extensive help with this project.

In the meantime, download and enjoy!!!!!!

THANK YOU!