IGNORED

WANTED: Y - Splitter Cable DB9: for Atari, ColecoVision

SiLic0ne t0aD

Hello everyone, I am looking for a Joystick Y Splitter Cable (2 controllers into 1 gameport) for my ColecoVision, Atari and Genesis.

Its a DB9 type plug and Loose would be fine.

Not looking for CIB ..but if one is available cheap enough, i may be a buyer still..

post-37932-0-56474900-1404274149_thumb.jpg

Here's some names of the companies that produced these cables:

- Wico

- Dynamics

- Newport Controls

- Questar Controls

- Gemini Industries

I don't prefer one company over another.. ANY brand will do and have been looking for one for months now. Never thought it would be this tough! Anyway..

If anyone has a working one to spare, you will be rewarded handsomely.

I might even consider non working cable since i might able to repair it but it would have to be very cheap.

Please PM me if you are able to help in any way, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for looking and for your time..

-Todd

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

Hey Silicone, the pictured Y-cable in your post looks like the one Coleco produced specifically for their 2600 clone system, the Gemini. They made it in order to hook up the Kid Vid Voice Module along with the two system controllers and even though you would think it's all wired up the same, I don't think it will work correctly on the CV. It's been a long time since I had one of these and can't remember for the life of me now. Anyway, just an FYI.

• Like 1

The one you have pictured looks like the two I own. I got them not as a part of any system so I don't know their intended use. They say Taiwan on one side, and TOP and MM 1 on the other.

The single end is missing 3 contacts.

Looking at the connector, the top right 2 contacts are not there, and the bottom right one.

1 1 1 x x

.1 1 1 x

This is the same as Atari (and Commodore brand) paddle connectors.

I do not know if you need all 9 wires.

Possibly all Y-cables are not made the same?

• Like 1

If the Y cable is an adapter of some sort, the pinout might be screwy. Do you need a strait through splitter where each plug duplicates the pinout of the other, or some other type of wiring, for instance to wire in a player two for those Coleco 2600 controllers which use built in paddles?

I don't mean to thread crap, but there's no way of knowing if a particular Y-cable has the proper pinout or not. You may be better off splicing your own based on existing controller pinouts, depending on what your exact needs are.

• Like 1

I have a couple of different types of Y-cables, and the one pictured above does NOT work with a CV controller + 2600 controller. The pictured cable has "blockier" connectors than the one that works. The one that does work for me is Gemini brand (not Coleco Gemini).

• Like 1

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.. I dont know how I missed my own content, but somehow i did.. lol. :P

Anyways, thank you all for the replies and info.

The adapter im looking for would ideally be 9-pin, Straight-Through wiring.. pretty much for CV exclusively. The other pin configurations mentioned will not work since the CV only uses 7 wires in most cases (i.e. standard controller) but just as long as the Y adapter has that same pin-out and is wired straight through, it should be fine.

I found that pic and since it said 'Coleco' on the ends, i assumed it was for CV but forgot about the Coleco Gemini (which I have, but no y cable though). As far as value, I'm not sure what the value of an original Y cable would be or what offer to throw out.. but feel free to chime in here or via PM if anyone has an extra to sell (or trade). :)

On another note, I did make some progress over the past few days and ended up buying a serial DB9 straight through cable off eBay until I find an original cable meant for game consoles.. Until then, this will work for now.. here is the link if it helps anyone else out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280706325316?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Originally I shaving the Female side of the plug down to get it to fit into the CV port (had to do all 4 sides since it was so large and turned out to be a waste of time).. I experienced strange behavior (multiple buttons being activated when only pressing one) with it plugged directly into the console, so I unhooked it and plugged in a standard Genesis extension cable into CV port 1, Then hooked up the y cable at the other end and split it from there. Finally, both controllers worked perfect.. ran the SAC Test ROM on Atarimax SD cart to confirm everything.

On a side note, Im also working on a project using spare DK carts, one cable coming out on one end and two male db9 sockets on the other.. this will be a nice looking splitter box when i get the rest of the parts in, ill post pics when completed. :)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

Sounds like you are on the right track. I was going to say you might be better off building your own. The Colecovision controller is a bit more complicated than a simple Atari joystick, two of them connected in parallel were likely interfering with each other. If I were building one of these I would add a switch to disconnect the controller that is not in use.

I have a project at the back of my mind that supports n controllers to n systems, e.g. has Atari/Coleco/NES/SNES/Genesis (and maybe USB ) inputs and outputs. Play 2600 games with a NES pad, plug a Coleco controller into a PC, etc.

Edited by galax
  • Like 1