http://ataribook.com.../businessiswar/

Works for me. Someone added spaces to the link... :ponder:

Database error...

#127 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,788 posts

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2016 11:18 AM

Was thinking of adding stuff to an Amazon order and remembered this book. *Still* not available?    :(

#128 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,129 posts

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2016 10:30 PM

:sleep: *crickets*  :sleep:

#129 Troyzilla OFFLINE  

Troyzilla

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Thu Dec 8, 2016 1:12 PM

So has this book been shelved permanently? It kinda seems so. Too bad. I ordered the first one and wanted to read about the details what went wrong from the 16-bit era on...

#130 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,129 posts

Posted Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:11 PM

So has this book been shelved permanently? It kinda seems so. Too bad. I ordered the first one and wanted to read about the details what went wrong from the 16-bit era on...

Hi welcome to AA.

16-bit era was supposed to be the third book. Business is War was goind to cover the latter half of the 80s, duing the Traimel years when Atari split up their arcade and consumer divisions, 7800 and SMS were getting scraps after NES took the lion's share, Tengen and the infamous Tetris scandal, and plenty of other juicy tidbits I could sink my teeth into. Unfortunately Curt is MIA with health issues and other project failures that will remain nameless, and I don't think the other coauthor, Marty aka RetroRogue has posted here in quite some time. It is unfortunate. I just wanna read the end of this saga, and frankly I don't even care if it's riddled with grammatical errors like the first book... :sad:

#131 dj_convoy OFFLINE  

dj_convoy

Dragonstomper

• 562 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:28 PM

The first book... it irks me. I like it, in some regards (I bought it twice, after all) but it needed a real editor so badly. Maybe more than one. The whipsaw between tenses and timeframes and so on... it's so much great information... a great story... but presented in a baffling way. 

I still would have checked out the second book. 

#132 calimero OFFLINE  

calimero

Chopper Commander

• 195 posts

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 PM

So no word from Marty or Curt????

What was last infromation regarding book "Business is war"?

EDIT:

I just saw Curt post at "Atari Museum" group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/105586892805903/ 

I leave him a message...

Edited by calimero, Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:10 PM.

#133 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Dragonstomper

• 513 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:50 PM

So no word from Marty or Curt????

What was last infromation regarding book "Business is war"?

EDIT:

I just saw Curt post at "Atari Museum" group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/105586892805903/ 

I leave him a message...

Correct link: https://www.facebook...105586892805903

#134 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,129 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 PM

Geeze, will the second book ever happen? :sad:

#135 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 599 posts
  • Still Atarian

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 AM

Geeze, will the second book ever happen? :sad:

Who knows, guess many people don't care about post-2600 Atari... :(

#136 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,129 posts

Posted Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:01 PM

Someone could write a whole book on Tengen and the Tetris saga alone. Tengen was the arcade branch of Atari games who would rather port stuff to the NES as an unlicensed company than make 7800 games. Traimel ran the Home console and PC division of Atari at that time. IIRC Atari were split into two separate entities with arcade and home console/PC doing their own thing. Traimel struggled to even get licenses for Atari Games arcade titles, though luckily Food Fight did arrive unscathed on the 7800 and XEGS.

So yeah up until the video game crash and immediate aftermath (pre nes) was only part one of what was proportedly a three part saga. The fact that the promise of a revised edition of the first book never came doesn't give me confidence a second book is coming...

#137 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,788 posts

Posted Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 PM

Nah, they're fully aware of their audience: us old farts. lol

Relase the frickin' book already. Before those of us that actually do care, die. :lol:

#138 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,129 posts

Posted Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 AM

Relase the frickin' book already. Before those of us that actually do care, die.

A bit harshe, don't you think? Writing a 700 page non-fiction documentary requires a ton of research and planning. Despite the typographical and grammar errors of the first book, it was quite a masterpiece.

#139 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,788 posts

Posted Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:03 AM

Whoops, forgot to add the smiley. They should know it was meant as flattery. :) ...There you go, now not as "harsh". :lol:

#140 atarian1 OFFLINE  

atarian1

Dragonstomper

• 580 posts

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:28 AM

Actually save2600 has a point, but mine is a little different. What I am afraid of is the people Curt/Marty are interviewing dying. That's why I got pissed off when the 7800XM got the priority over the Business Is War book. :mad: To me, the stuff in the 7800XM will be here for a while. There will always be FPGAs, circuit boards, etc. that can be scrounged together to make a piece of technology like the 7800XM. 

THAT IS NOT THE CASE WITH PEOPLE! We are all getting older and people are going to die. I think most of the people Curt/Marty are interviewing are at least in their 50s or 60s now. Sure, we are living longer now, but all of us who are old know that it's not fun. One example I can think of is Sam Tramiel who has a history of heart disease with a heart attack that drove Jack to reinvest Atari funds into something else (JTS). Unfortunately, having one heart attack increases the risk of another and other diseases. We already lost Jack before he could be "fully" interviewed by Curt/Marty (by one week IIRC what he told me at CGE). Once one of these important people to the book dies, they take all the information that we would love to know about with them. It's lost forever. You can't just look for "something better" like a better chip which one can do when making something like the 7800XM.

I don't know how the 7800XM development is going, but I wish Curt can tell his 7800XM critics to eat dirt and concentrate his time on the book. We can replace chips, but we can't replace people.

P.S. I am a pre-paid buyer of the 7800XM and a big Kickstarter supporter of the Business Is Fun book (my name is in the book).

#141 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,603 posts

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:57 AM

Atarian1 makes a very valid point about the ravages of time.

Having dabbled in misc games research alongside Unseen64 and GTW etc myself..

It was so often brought home just how lucky we were to be able to chat, either online or in person with likes of Richard Joseph and Les Player..

We had questions we would of loved to of put to Mike Singleton and Fergus McGovern.. but they are sadly no longer with us.

The other factor is that people simply don't remember events with the same degree of clarity as the years pass.

How many times have we seen a person reply with honesty they simply don't remember.. or hazzard a guess but make clear their memory is hazy, it's been so long since..

Or an answer is given..but Historians are able to cross reference and point out they probably meant...

You also find people sometimes change stance when commenting again on a subject discussed years earlier.

Also..even if you get hold of the likes of Leonard Tramiel, a single source isn't enough..

It's evident Leonard had very little idea of European software development for the Panther and if you took his statements as sole source..You'd miss what was going on elsewhere.

Interviewing and fact checking is a real time drain.

Frustrating and often unrewarding..

Edited by Lost Dragon, Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:01 AM.

#142 Wyluli Wolf OFFLINE  

Wyluli Wolf

Moonsweeper

• 318 posts

Posted Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:28 AM

I've been waiting and watching for this book as well.  After 5? or more years...I think I have given up on this ever being completed/published.

It's too bad as the first book, although flawed, was epic.  TONS of great information.  Really enjoyed reading it and so looked forward to the second book in the series....

Perhaps one day.....?   :(

#143 H.E.R.O. OFFLINE  

H.E.R.O.

Moonsweeper

• 261 posts
  • New leader of the Bungeling Empire

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:53 PM

It's too bad if this never comes out. Would have been a great companion to Brian Bagnall's Over The Edge about Commodore so we would have had accounts from both sides of the Tramiel War.

#144 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Dragonstomper

• 513 posts

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:57 PM

I care. I want to know:

1) How Atari became profitable again?

And:

2) Why did they fail again?

Even if you aren't interested in Atari, or technology, or video games, these questions are important; answering them would provide lessons to future business men.

Edited by pacman000, Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users