IGNORED

Why didn't Datel make an action replay device for the LYNX?

Prosystemsearch

First of all the Lynx was not a big seller. They did not release one for the TurboGrafx either, and that machine probably sold the same if not a little more in the west as the Lynx.

And secondly, especially for the Lynx model 1 such a device would have been impossible with the card slot on the side. You couldn't hold the Lynx to play anymore because the game card would stick out so far.

• Like 1

First of all the Lynx was not a big seller. They did not release one for the TurboGrafx either, and that machine probably sold the same if not a little more in the west as the Lynx.

And secondly, especially for the Lynx model 1 such a device would have been impossible with the card slot on the side. You couldn't hold the Lynx to play anymore because the game card would stick out so far.

The Sega game gear managed to get both a game Genie and an action replay., and it sold just above 10 million units. Why not the Lynx. as well?? Also, a cheat device for the Lynx 1 would be possible if made correctly, such as parts of it made to be a pass-through machine. Just take a look at the original North American and European NES. it loaded through a direction other than the top, and it had both a game genie, and action replay devices. It would have been best to have made a cheat device just for the Lynx 1, and another one just for the Lynx 2, just like they did with the sun visors.

guesses from 500,000 to 5 million still dont come close to the 11+ million game gears, and as far as the NES, well you didnt have to hold the console where the cart port stuck out to play it

Not mention that the Lynx wasn't sold at as many places as Game Gear. I remembered the Lynx wasn't being sold at Kmart, Target, Walmart for sure where I lived.

• Like 3

Not mention that the Lynx wasn't sold at as many places as Game Gear. I remembered the Lynx wasn't being sold at Kmart, Target, Walmart for sure where I lived.

I didn't go into Kmart or Walmart but I swear the Lynx was sold at Target, KayBee Toys [later KB Toys], Montgomery Ward, Sears [catalog], Toys R Us, The Good Guys, etc. I don't ever remember seeing it at Circuit City or any Atari Corp products for that matter.

My bad, I was a bit off with the history. Tramiel left Commodore before Amiga came around and bought Atari about the time Commodore bought Amiga. Tramiel wanted a deal with Amiga but wasn't happy and made Atari computer line to compete with Amiga in revenge.

Regarding the Amiga no that's not what happened at all, that's actually the myth that spread.

First, Jack bought a division of Atari Inc. not the entire company itself, and used the assets from that to form a new Atari company called Atari Corp. Second, the ST (or RBP as it was initially known) was 95% planned out before he even formed Atari Corp. and was never planned around any Amiga technology and had zero to do with any sort of revenge. Likewise, Jack had no idea about Atari Inc, and Amiga's dealings with each other until the end of July when his son Leonard discovered the cancelled check from the bridge loan that past March. (Even then Amiga's immediate deal with Atari Inc.was for a game console only and usage in coin, nothing was allowed with computers until '86.) Additionally, the Amiga deal stayed with Warner as just like with GCC, their actual contract was through Warner.

Where the "revenge" story came from is a twisted version of what actually happened: Commodore filed a suit against Shiraz Shivji and several other ex-Commodore engineers now working for Jack, claiming theft of trade secrets. That included injunctions against them which effectively stopped them from doing any computer work for Jack for the entire month of July, delaying them being able to wire wrap the prototype until August. At the end of July, Leonard discovers the check and then in the beginning of August Jack negotiates with Warner to get the Amiga contract and uses it to launch a countersuit mid August against Commodore via it's new subsidiary Amiga.

Bottom line, the ST had nothing to do with losing Amiga technology and creating the ST in revenge. Completely made up myth.

• Like 4