IGNORED

PAL or NTSC Jaguar?

Gamer888

Assuming I had to choose between both (PSU, money, TV being irrelevant matters), which one should I pick and why?

I know most if not all games are compatible but beside this??

Thanks!!

NTSC/60Hz, whenever possible.

End of.

If you only have access to a PAL/50hz unit, they can be modded for 60Hz VERY easily...

Quick, straight to the point, fast answer...thanks!!

As for modding, if it is that easy, I guess a noob like me can do it.

Depends on your sKillz?

Personally, I had someone else do it. Someone I knew (locally) who was handy with a soldering iron etc. Cost me a pint of beer!

But literally, it's a simple as this:

Jag50hz60hz.jpg

The resistor is lacquered onto the pcb, or I would have physically just cut it away myself with nail clippers or something equally as crude. Trust me - I opened it up and gave it serious thought, but it was best just to get someone with the right tools to quickly do it for you :)

Hope this helps...

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Thanks Zerosquare. It would be interesting to know if there is actually a difference in terms of visuals.

the ntsc has a larger screen than pal at some games, doom for instance. And ntsc runs faster at some games, a faster ball in pinball fantasies for instance - that has to do with visuals, right..?

• Like 1

you can read about it here, at the bottom of the page:

http://www.atarijaguar.co.uk/search?updated-min=2015-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2016-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=8

qvote, about ntsc being better than pal:

"Certain games are improved to the point that the increased speed makes them feel like totally different experiences. Games like Doom and Wolfenstein are examples of this, and Doom in particular moves so much more smoothly than the 50Hz version that it's actually quite stunning. Super Burnout too, feels a little quicker...if that's actually possible. There doesn't seem to be any particular rule at play here - some games benefit massively from the switch to 60Hz, while others (rather disappointingly) do not. One game that I thought might be sped up by the change is AvP...but alas the only difference on display is the increased real estate on the screen. This is probably more to do with the actual game engine than the frequency of the console, but I was hoping for more. That said, this is a really interesting subject and below is a selection of screen shots from various games that illustrate the increased play area if nothing else."

Edited by Atlantis
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if there's (more) issues with linking a PAL Jaguar with an NTSC one (eg. for DOOM)? I've just picked up a PAL Jaguar (in addition to my two NTSC ones) and will likely sell off one of the NTSC ones to a mate so I have one of each if I ever get off my arse and code anything and need to test it on both varieties.

I've looked at soldering a 60Hz switch on the PAL console...not keen to do it myself, I'm not that good at soldering, lol.

Weill PAL Jaguar games work on NTSC machine? and will NTSC Jaguar games work on a PAL machne?

There are no different PAL/NTSC games versions thus Jaguar games work on both PAL and NTSC Jaguars. In general Jaguar games detect if they are running on PAL/NTSC and adjust accordingly.

However some early releases like Raiden, Crescent Galaxy and Dino Dudes did not take into account the extra lines of PAL and display a black border at the bottom of the screen. Later releases of these games (with the E after the product number) fixed this by either using the extra lines or centering the screen vertically.

Further there are two CD games (Dragon's Lair & Space Ace) that do not work on PAL probably because of timing issues. But it is easy to add a 50/60Hz switch to a Jaguar. A PAL Jaguar switched to 60Hz can play these two games without problems.

Robert

• Like 4