IGNORED

Best Electronics Review/Endorsement Thread

mipaol

I'm not really good at writing reviews and such but after my very poor customer experience with atari2600.com I continued my search for another retailer that specialized in Atari products, and I found one that I have had an excellent experience with so I thought I would open this topic to share my experience with others who may also be new to Atari collecting and looking for a reputable source of high quality Atari stuff.

The place I am referring to, which I saw mentioned here on AtariAge no less (I wish I could remember who made the post so I could thank them) is Best Electronics. For those who may not know Best Electronics of San Jose California has for the past 30 years been one of the (if not apparently thee) leading source for new and refurbished Atari products as well as replacement parts on the planet. When Atari's Sunnyvale headquarters closed Best Electronics were among those who won an auction to clear out Atari's Sunnyvale warehouses, as such they now have warehouses full of new Atari products, OEM replacement parts, accessories, collector items, as well as prototype and engineering items from Atari's Corporate Headquarters. When I received my package it was wrapped in Atari "tamper proof" tape, in a thank you email I wrote them I asked if the tape was original and commented that I thought it was a nice touch, in their response this is what they had to say:

"Among the 8K to 10K pallets of Atari goods we got out of the Atari Sunnyvale Warehouses (over a 10 to 15 year period) as they shut them down one by one, was a 6 X 6 X 7 foot high pallet of Atari boxed up Atari shipping tape. The reason why I remember that specific pallet of Atari shipping tape (among the thousands of Atari pallets we got) is I remember that the Atari Fork lift could not pick it up (over 5,000 pounds) and more it onto our 18 foot truck. We had to one box by one box break down that pallet of Atari shipping tape on to 2 or 3 smaller pallets. By the way, the manufactures date code on most of the new boxes of Atari shipping tape is around 1983!"

So if you want what is basically the closest thing left to "factory direct" Atari products Best Electronics is the place to go. As for my order I picked up a new Atari Universal TV Switch Box for ten bucks and a new unopened copy of Galaxian for the VCS (gods I love opening video games almost as old as I am) for twelve dollars which arrived promptly and as mentioned above very well packaged. One thing that should be mentioned is that Best Electronics does not have an online order form. These guys are totally old school and do their business over the phone voice to voice (or via email) in order to ensure the best possible customer service, especially when dealing with orders concerning replacement parts and such. While some who are used to dealing with more impersonal online checkout methods may find this inefficient or perhaps quaint, keep in mind these guys have been at this for decades, long before the internet even existed, providing the sort of great customer service that is only possible by actually talking with their customers, and I for one find actually speaking to a human being when I place my order not only reassuring but a sign of the great customer service that Best Electronics is known for.

Also for those unaware its worth mentioning that their website is very "low-fi" and for some who are used to more graphic intensive modern websites it may seem cluttered and difficult to navigate, also due to the huge volume of items they have in stock they apparently do not have to update the website's inventory as often as most other sites would. But once you get used to the layout finding the prices and items you want is simple enough (we had nothing but websites that looked like that back in the 90s, deal with it) and you will find that their selection of items is unsurpassed. I will diffidently be doing business with Best Electronics again, hopefully for some time to come, and I hope others will too. :grin:

• Like 12

I have placed several orders with them over the years and have had excellent experiences. Brad is always helpful and seems to have excellent knowledge of the Atari product line.

edit: I'll add that he has always shippped my orders very quickly. The last one went out the same day. :)

• Like 3

Thanks for the in-depth review! I've also been buying from Brad for many years (since the late 90s), and my experiences have also been very positive. I never knew the story of the "Atari packing tape" before; very interesting!

I'm not troubled at all by Best's 90s-looking Web site and lack of online ordering. I think I can understand Brad's reasons for keeping it as it is: a revamped website and e-store, easy enough for anybody off the street to use, may only attract the "wrong kind" of customer.

I explained it this way in an earlier thread:

Best Electronics caters to eccentric hobbyists like us, who are looking for esoteric replacement parts for decades-old consoles and computers that were usually pretty finicky to begin with. These are people who are knowledgeable enough to maintain their own gear (and to have mastered such black arts as looking things up in a printed catalog, talking on the phone, and composing an e-mail), so they're already perfectly capable of using the site exactly as it is. They're probably also a more intelligent and lucrative customer base than most, and by all indications, there are already enough of them buying to keep Brad quite busy. Upgrading to a more "accessible" website will only attract annoying n00bs who want to be "retro gamerz", but would only be a headache to deal with. Perhaps Brad has kept the website as it is to scare away all but the most motivated and knowledgeable hobbyists.

• Like 3

Hmm, I've tried to contact via email twice now, with no success, never getting a reply. I gave up after a month, still no reply. (And yes I checked junk folder)

Quoted from their website:

"Because of the big volume of Spam E-Mails we receive everyday, we had to install E-Mail Spam filters on our server. When sending an E-Mail to Best, Please put the word "Atari", Atari item or Atari part number, Atari Question or Atari Sales inquiry in the Subject line. E-Mails with the typical Spam subject matter like: Urgent, Must read, Regarding, FWD, HTML Code, Blank subject line (RE:) or other SPAM E-Mail Subject lines you receive, will be automatically deleted on our E-Mail Server and never reach us.

After sending your E-Mail to us, if you do not hear back from us within a day or less, please resend your E-Mail inquiry with a different Subject matter information or from a different E-Mail address. We do 100% respond to every Atari E-Mail we receive. But sometimes Spam Filters on your Internet Service Provider or your own personal E-Mail Spam software filter you have installed may delete or send our return Atari E-Mail to your Trash can."

Of course if that doesn't work you could always try calling them at the telephone number listed on their website during the time specified.

Edited by mipaol

Great idea to start a thread commending a business.

To often it always is one of a critical nature.

That being said,I dealt with Brad for several years and never once had an issue with him or the way the business

was run.Sure the web site is a bit clunky,but I also found quite a few interesting stories and how to look for a certain fix or part.

I also had one of his early catalogs that had pricing and availability.Man,if I knew then what I know now,I would have bought the

entire business.

• Like 3

I've had nothing but GOOD experiences from Best, over several years. My emails were always returned, orders were shipped quickly, and the packing has always been top-notch. Due to the use of Atari packing tape, I always save the boxes (nerdy!!!) that the stuff ships in, and use them for Atari storage.

We're extremely lucky to be able to buy so much *new* Atari stuff from Best Electronics and B & C Computervisions. One has to wonder how much longer it will continue, but it sure is nice to have! Perhaps when they (either one) retire, one of the moguls from this site will buy them out and continue.

• Like 2

I just got my modded 7800 from him a month or so ago & he was very helpful to me. It shipped super fast & I was amazed at the amount of care put into the packaging. Layers upon layers of bubble wrap, styrofoam & peanuts...& yes, all in an actual Atari logo-ed out box wrapped up in Atari packing tape ;-) ....I ordered some stuff from him in the late 90's too & its totally awesome to see Best is still around...The website is laughably outdated :-D , but there is really no reason why you should have problems browsing through it & finding what your looking for....It's a great feeling to support ppl like him..Gotta give him credit & appreciate that here in 2014 a business that specializes in ATARI PRODUCTS is here for us & apparently doing well..haha

• Like 1

Hmm, I've tried to contact via email twice now, with no success, never getting a reply. I gave up after a month, still no reply. (And yes I checked junk folder)

Just using something like "Atari 2600 Items Wanted for Purchase" in the subject line seems to work fine. Try keeping the subject simple and direct like that and you should be fine.

He has been in business for some time and therefor has both glowing endorsements and the exact opposite.

From all the threads I've read over the years the one thing to remember is that he is THE source for certain things. If you want to haggle or fixate on changes he may just refuse to deal with you.

I don't expect to have any problems as long as I keep those things in mind.

My experiences with him have been great! I wanted some spare parts for my 820 printer. He not only had the entire printing mechanism in stock, he actually found some individual pieces that I requested that I believe he had to take off a used printer.

• Like 1

I've placed multiple orders with Best Electronics in the past. Every transaction was smooth but one: an OEM 2600A replacement board was defective. I shipped it back and got a replacement quickly. 30+ year old items can't always be perfect! Overall I give them 5 Stars for service and value.

I'm as understanding a person as they come, but I have to say the website is rough.

Edited by tremoloman2006

My experiences with Best have always been great. Brad's a no-nonsense kind of guy which I've always appreciated.

Wish I could say the same about B&C and atari2600.com. At least atari2600.com 'tries' to describe the condition of their wares accurately. B&C will send you the crappiest of whatever IF you don't specify and even then, the quality of their stuff is hit or miss. Mostly miss. My experience anyway.

Video61 is a mixed bag too. Lance is a super nice guy - just don't believe he's got the same eye for detail as I do. Packaging could be better too. Latest order I placed, box was large enough and there was plenty of packing material - but the boxed games were placed along one corner of the box, which means they were not protected by *any* packing material at all and guess what happened? Yep, you guessed it... one of the game boxes were needlessly damaged as a result. Incredible how many people that *should* know better - have been space cadets lately. Starting to believe *everyone's* gone retarded. Too many microwaves floating around the air or what?? :lol:

But yeah, Best Electronics is *still* the best as far as quality, expediency of ordering/shipping and you know your items will be packaged properly and appropriately for today's lack of care in handling practices and standards.

• Like 1

My experiences with Best have always been great. Brad's a no-nonsense kind of guy which I've always appreciated.

Wish I could say the same about B&C and atari2600.com. At least atari2600.com 'tries' to describe the condition of their wares accurately. B&C will send you the crappiest of whatever IF you don't specify and even then, the quality of their stuff is hit or miss. Mostly miss. My experience anyway.

Video61 is a mixed bag too. Lance is a super nice guy - just don't believe he's got the same eye for detail as I do. Packaging could be better too. Latest order I placed, box was large enough and there was plenty of packing material - but the boxed games were placed along one corner of the box, which means they were not protected by *any* packing material at all and guess what happened? Yep, you guessed it... one of the game boxes were needlessly damaged as a result. Incredible how many people that *should* know better - have been space cadets lately. Starting to believe *everyone's* gone retarded. Too many microwaves floating around the air or what?? :lol:

But yeah, Best Electronics is *still* the best as far as quality, expediency of ordering/shipping and you know your items will be packages properly and appropriately for today's lack of care in handling practices and standards.

My experiences have been pretty much identical to yours with B&C, Video 61 and 2600.com. I will say that the only concern I have with Best is that Brad is more than willing to assemble his own "rare" Atari items from original Atari components and has no issue with reshrinkwrapping games or other items that may not necessarily be factory new.