IGNORED

Best Electronics Review/Endorsement Thread

mipaol

Only once did I try to amend my order while he was preparing a quote for me. He very kindly explained to me that he is very busy and can only do one quote at a time. So I paid for my order and a few days later sent him another request, which he answered right away. Try to keep in mind he has a warehouse full of stuff he has to go through to prepare each order. I do not envy his job. He only does it because he loves Atari and the Atari community, and I respect that. \\//,

• 6 months later...

Just placed an order for 10 consoles switches for the XEGS. This is only the second time I've bought from Brad but everything seemed to go fine and he was very pleasant.

On another note, anyone have experience with his 2nd Generation Composite Video cable, about halfway down this page?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power%20guide.htm

I might order one down the road

On another note, anyone have experience with his 2nd Generation Composite Video cable, about halfway down this page?

Highly recommend it. I received mine last week. Thing is top notch quality.

I've bought a few mylar keyboard replacements, some SIO plugs, and a few other things from him over the past month. Brad is super responsive with his emails and I received the items within a couple days.

• Like 1

I fought through the frustration that is the Best Electronics website and ordered two TIA chips because I absolutely could not find any other place to get them. They came quickly and worked, so no complaints on that end.

But there is absolutely no reason for a website in 2017 to be so cluttered and obtuse. I shouldn't have to email my credit card info or order crap I don't want to meet a $50 paypal minimum requirement. I had better luck using google to search the site than looking through listings and such.

If I sound harsh, well, I mean to be. I'm grateful dude that runs it is doing it, but it's like a dude lost in a desert being glad that someone will spit water in his mouth after first completing an obstacle course.

I fought through the frustration that is the Best Electronics website and ordered two TIA chips because I absolutely could not find any other place to get them. They came quickly and worked, so no complaints on that end.

But there is absolutely no reason for a website in 2017 to be so cluttered and obtuse. I shouldn't have to email my credit card info or order crap I don't want to meet a $50 paypal minimum requirement. I had better luck using google to search the site than looking through listings and such.

If I sound harsh, well, I mean to be. I'm grateful dude that runs it is doing it, but it's like a dude lost in a desert being glad that someone will spit water in his mouth after first completing an obstacle course.

Don't like it, buy those TIA chips from elsewhere. Sure the website is outdated but the service is top notch. Would you rather have a nice website with a guy who never responds to emails/call and takes 3 weeks to ship?

Just email Brad at Best and ask him next time. He's super friendly and helpful.

Don't like it, buy those TIA chips from elsewhere. Sure the website is outdated but the service is top notch. Would you rather have a nice website with a guy who never responds to emails/call and takes 3 weeks to ship?

Honestly, that was my experience, which I think I reported earlier in this thread. My order somehow ended up in purgatory for weeks in his email. I had to call, and even then, he would only ship out the items in my original email. For me to get a couple of the additional items I wanted, I had to put in another order. Super super odd for an otherwise such a personal interaction.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Yes the website looks like it was done with original HTML 1.0 back in late 90s but I've always gotten what I wanted quickly. I only had a minor hiccup, a missing part in the last order. Apparently it got overlooked and misplaced during packing stage. They found it and sent it to me.

Google search your desired keyword and add this: site:www.best-electronics-ca.com

A few games for less than eBay price, 2 fully restored 5200 controller (standard not gold edition), 1 new 5200 cart slot, some stuff for Lynx and so on.

Let me break this ridiculous post down sentence by sentence.

"Don't like it, buy those TIA chips from elsewhere.."

-As I stated, I tried to. No one else seemed to have NTSC TIA.

"Sure the website is outdated but the service is top notch."

- Isn't this exactly what I stated? The items arrived quickly, securely, and they worked. I had no complaints about the service.

"Would you rather have a nice website with a guy who never responds to emails/call and takes 3 weeks to ship?"

- I don't understand why it has to be an either/ or situation. Unless the goal is to hold onto product for as long as possible (and maybe it is!), I don't see why one wouldn't invest the stupid small amount of time, effort, and money to put together a decent retail based website and increase sales/ reach. I may be in the minority on this particular forum, but looking around the internet it seems like a decent amount of potential customers don't become actual customers because of how primitive (and thus "sketchy") Best's operation is. I know I'm not the only one to have these issues/concerns and apparently the proprietor doesn't care that he's leaving money on the table. I just don't understand it.

Finally, This is the review/endorsement thread. That's what I used it for.

How is my post ridiculous? I know what you said. You wanted NTSC TIA chips. Best has them. Nobody else does. You ordered them. You got them. Yet you still complained.

As an experiment I decided to try to find a TIA chip on Best's site, I've never bought a single 2600 item from him. Here's what I did: Went to Best's site. Clicked Index Page. Saw a link for "Short list of 2600 parts" and clicked it. Searched for "TIA" in my browser. Done. Took less than a minute.

Best has been around for like 30 years, I hardly call that "sketchy." People come around every few months complaining about Best and asking if they're legit or not and it gets tiring. Personally I'd rather see him continuing to invest money in making new parts like the gold controller parts and the CX30 pots than invest in a new web design.

It's ridiculous because you know what I said and responded by adding nothing to anything except +1 to your post count.

"People come around every few months complaining about Best and asking if they're legit or not and it gets tiring."

Anyway, good day to you.

Just wanted to note that I've always had great dealings with Best in the past, and am sure of many more in the future. And just to note about the website: newer and more "modern" is not always better. What some consider as primitive and outdated most of us here see as perfectly functional and consistent. I would say their website is actually superior to most modern sites, as it is simply basic HTML that just works, and without any bloated JavaScript crap, ads, and Lord-knows how many unnecessary third-party scripts and nonsense. Rather than being deterred from buying from the website because of its look, I'm actually more likely to buy from it because it takes me back every bit as much as the Atari goods themselves do.

• Like 2

I'm not going to get into how I feel about the website, since doing so seems to cause the villagers to storm the castle with torches and pitchforks in hand. :P

Brad is a great guy and his customer service is above and beyond what would be expected. There is a personal touch added to the experience by doing the ordering through emails. He shipped my order extremely fast and even helped me troubleshoot a small issue I was having. If I recall correctly, he even checked back with me a few days later to make sure the issue was fixed. His Lifetime Gold PCBs are amazing. I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it here anyway, "My rebuilt CX-40s with Gold PCBs are my favorite joysticks."

I have no complaints about Brad or the items he sells. I would recommend him to anyone looking for Atari parts.. :thumbsup:

Just placed an order for 10 consoles switches for the XEGS. This is only the second time I've bought from Brad but everything seemed to go fine and he was very pleasant.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power%20guide.htm

I haven't tried the Best 8-bit A/V cable, but I have a couple of the 8bitclassic.com cables that I can recommend. They have a few different versions.

These don't have a custom molded DIN connector, it is a solder type with the slip-on cover. I have plugged mine into multiple 800/800XL/130XE systems without any issues, of course s-video only works properly on those with chroma connected.

https://www.8bitclassics.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=atari&category_id=60

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...