IGNORED

Release or not release it?

Hi.

I have this in mind for some time but never asked you here but now I think its time.

I have a file of a game that was one of the many ideas I usually post here.

This one was started by a coder and although not finished it is playable.

After the initial talkings there was indeed other one that ended doing the gfxs and two others on messenger talking and getting the updates from the coder.

At some point the coder disappeared, I tried to contact him in all the ways I had but he never read them. This is now for about three years and hope not but he was a known and active guy here on the community so probably not a good a thing maybe happened.

Of course I will first contact the gfxs man but wanna know what you guys say... isn't it time and can I post the file?

It is a single level game but with new playing and lookings on the A8 game scene, the final version will only have some better music on sfx but the playing is now, more or less working.

Also the game was intended to be a public release so I don't think that is bad to release it.

What to do?

Edited by José Pereira

O.K. the reality is the coder never answered more on our personal talkings from Easter 2012 and was here at AA once at June of 2013 but not on messenger where he had new messages.

Is it bad to release the file? I don't know my tomorrow so isn't best to put the game than it will be lost forever?

Edited by José Pereira

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Here it seems like you are asking for the community blessing, but no matter what the decision is only yours.

If you release it and the guy gets pissed it's on you, if you don't release it and the game gets lost and the guy gets pissed it's on you.

So no matter what, if the guy gets pissed it's on you.

The core here is how much do you care for the game being lost or not?

And again it's your decision, alone.

My first sentence tells you what I would do, but it is no blessing.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

I'll wait for the guy that did the final version of the background gfxs.

Of course that it will always be my decision, if with the gfxs guy the better.

I don't want nor will have any profit in releasing this but the coder disappeared, is he good?

If I release what we have and he appear the better, I think.

And more, like me how mamy others have and are in the same situation as me? Maybe more than this particular game the important is a free talking on this subject: "If the coder doesn't answer for 2, 3 or more years isn't it best to put it in public than it is lost forever?"

And I am talking of free public intended releases.

Jose, there is no right or wrong.

The only fully autonomous decision you can take relates to stuff you entirely built on your own, everything else is a compromise.

Preservation of a project just for the sake of preservation also is futile, I wouldn't care to release my first "Hello world" even if it has been preserved that is, there's something to be said in favor of oblivion you know.

So ask all the questions you need to all the gfx artists you want, then release it or not.

In the end if the author of the code is mad at you there's no amount of community backing that would make it better for him.

If instead he's happy with your decision there's no amount of community backed hostility that would change that.

I understand your point about the general guidelines about what to do, at the same time why holding onto it at all?

[it is a rhetoric question that can have an answer only by and for yourself, nobody else]

Edited by phoenixdownita

My opinion, for the 5 cents its worth: Release it.

We're a small community, and having more software out there is only a good thing. Maybe this might spur your friend on to working more on the project, but it's better out there, than sitting on your hard drive gathering dust and slowly decaying.

Again only my opinion. Take of it what you will. :)

Don't release it.

It's nothing unusual for a project being on hold for only 2-3 years! (Think about 'Space Harrier'.)

This is no question of preservation, the coder is still reachable - you may destroy a contest participation.

AFAIK you also haven't the latest version - plus I think the latest one doesn't make much sense as many aspects for a game worth playing are missing.

Don't release it.

It's nothing unusual for a project being on hold for only 2-3 years! (Think about 'Space Harrier'.)

This is no question of preservation, the coder is still reachable - you may destroy a contest participation.

AFAIK you also haven't the latest version - plus I think the latest one doesn't make much sense as many aspects for a game worth playing are missing.

So where is he? And why he didn't answered anymore and I'm not talking of our thread.

I am just saying that don't want to think in bad but have you any contact with him after he's last answer there?

If you have contact with him and can say he is well then the best :)

Maybe I am like this because in my particular case of Uwol Gauntman disappeared here and our two mails for about 3 or 4years with all the code.

Altirra = Video Recording = Upload video as non listed and post link here... ;)

I personally don't think he would be pissed off? and if at least video is released he might turn up and say hey... this is mine :D

Ask Irgendwer... I started with the game here like many others but then he did the gfxs :) so if he wants or have connection to the coder that I lost for about two years then its up to him.

I thought it was lost forever but if he is saying that he has a more modern version then I'm out now ;) and I hope that at least the coder is O.K. :)

Personally, I think that if you've tried to contact the coder then try once more and leave a message saying something like, "I would like your permission to release the code, but if you do not reply within 1 month, I will release the code". Then send it to as many of his emails addresses / inboxes / home addresses that you have and wait for a reply.

If you get no reply, then release it.

• Like 2

I think that releasing it unfinished to the public is probably not the right move. I say, instead, upload a video of what there is at this point. Set a date, maybe 3 months from now, at which time you will let the coders on this site decide whether or not it is something any of them would like to finish developing. If you are solicited by a known, trusted party to resume development on it, trust it to their hands. Otherwise, hold on to it. But if it's not a complete game, then releasing it destroys the promise of what it could have been.

"I would like your permission to release the code, but if you do not reply within 1 month, I will release the code".

* he hasn't the code, just a little bit more advanced xex

* I would see no justification for such 'blackmail'...

Edited by Irgendwer

Ask Irgendwer...

My last contact is nearly exactly one year ago.

I'm sure simonl will inform us, if he has something new.

I told you already that delays and frozen projects are nothing unusual. If you don't believe me, ask 'Heaven', 'Popmilo' etc. how many projects they have started and are on hold.

I have here an other collaboration which was nearly four years frozen due to several reasons, but some months ago the coder started to finish the project...

Sometimes 'life' simply interrupts 'higher endeavours'...

Edited by Irgendwer

* he hasn't the code, just a little bit more advanced xex

* I would see no justification for such 'blackmail'...

Point 1: Hmm, ok, fair enough.

Point 2: I wasn't meaning it as a form of blackmail, I mean it as "I am trying my very best to contact you and I want to give you every chance to choose whether I release this or not. But if I cannot get a reply from you then I need to make a choice myself".

Really no need to do so. Just take the 'xex' from

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/183817-a-jaguar-game-with-parallax-scrolling/?p=2314954

and imagine some progress...

Wow. That thing looks fantastic. I like the several scrolling layers in the background. The main screen title is pretty nice too. I'd hope we get to play that one finished.

Didn't remember of that thread and if there's already a file posted by Simonl I think I can post other with something more...

Use Altirra, there's still no lost of life when you fall but there's new platforms and objects to pick-up on them:

EDIT: Link removed by moderator.

(just see it scrolls down and those nice lots of different objects, for me they are the most beautifull little PMGs objects colouring and multicolour mode I've ever seen :) )

The point here is not that this or any other game takes years, of course that many here has their projects for years and I also know of some but these people are here all days. What I am saying is that in case of Gauntman or Simonl they just disappeared from one day to the other.

You have to agree that if me or any other suddenly disappear it may not be a good thing... I hope not.

• Like 1

What I am saying is that in case of Gauntman or Simonl they just disappeared from one day to the other.

You have to agree that if me or any other suddenly disappear it may not be a good thing... I hope not.

Yep, that is never a good thing. It could be a disease, car/plane accident or depression. Even if you have a lot of work, you can always lurk a bit.

I, as a coder, if I'm not communicating with my artist, that would mean I don't give a damn about the project anymore, so you would be free to release it in its current form.

Even if it is just a WIP, it could spark an interest in someone else, and that could lead to another new project.

In fact, I am pretty sure you have been patient enough and everybody here knows you (since you do post a lot) try to get along with everyone else, so no one in their right mind could accuse you of releasing stuff that should not have been released without the fear of them being laughed out...

Didn't remember of that thread and if there's already a file posted by Simonl I think I can post other with something more...

Use Altirra, there's still no lost of life when you fall but there's new platforms and objects to pick-up on them:

(just see it scrolls down and those nice lots of different objects, for me they are the most beautifull little PMGs objects colouring and multicolour mode I've ever seen :) )

Thanky José for the accolade, but publishing this tad more advanced version was exactly what I was trying to prevent. Congratulations - your are just not trustworthy! :mad:

Why not publishing other assets of other projects too - while the incontinence takes place?

What is the bennefit now?

(BTW: Ignoring two other members in the private conversion telling you not to release too is really a merit!)

I, as a coder, if I'm not communicating with my artist, that would mean I don't give a damn about the project anymore, so you would be free to release it in its current form.

It may wasn't that clear, but I as the artist never had any problem to contact simonl. I just don't like to bother someone constantly because of boredom... - knowing that piority changes.