IGNORED

Bravely Default (3DS): I heard it through the grapevine

Folks,

After spending hours playing this game and getting my characters up to level 22, I heard tell that it's "not necessary" to grind for this game at all. I believe it was a review of the game itself that indicated "grinding" wasn't needed to be able to play through. I was a little taken aback about this, as some areas I've been to thus far required gaining a couple of additional levels to beat a particular boss. Since I'm an old-school Final Fantasy fan and player, I figured this game was very similar to that framework and grinding was just a part of it. I'm curious if folks out there that have played this needed to grind. Thoughts?

Steve

No you MUST grind (after you have a full party). There are spots you can find that you can do it and set things like auto-battle, increase or decrease random battles and speed up the animations (Right d-pad).

Battles give you both XP and JP so its important that you grind to make the set story battles easier.

I'm not sure where you read that review but there's no way you get through the game with just a straight play and no grinding. At least I know I can't. :P

• Like 1

I can't remember what review it was, but they were like, ".....traditional grinding? Not in Bravely Default." Something to that effect for a quote. Maybe it was IGN or Gamespot. I was skeptical, as there's NO RPG I have played, especially the Final Fantasy series, that doesn't require grinding at some level. I automatically figured that's what I had to do here.

Hmmm I think they may be saying that its not as much of a chore because you can adjust a lot of things. As I mentioned above you can speed up battles and also adjust encounter rates. Example: You can raise encounter rates in settings and battle monsters almost constantly and then when your done you can turn off encounters completely so you can simply walk to your next destination easily.

Traditional JRPG's usually had a timer or something where you walk in circles endlessly hoping to encounter monsters and then when your leveled up you still had to deal with low level annoying slimes just to get from point A to point B.

I remember that in FF. There was one game that didn't seem to allow you to take more than 10 steps without encountering something. Then there's the ones where you can see the enemies to either fight them or avoid them entirely.