IGNORED

Kids React to...Game Boy

A few days ago a classmate wandered into my workplace. At that point I realized I was old enough to have high school acquaintances with receding hairlines. I quickly loaded up all the dub-step and mindless pop music I could until youth set back in!

That sounds like a lot of work. For me, I just plucked the gray beard hairs. Voila! I'm young again!

Oh jeez. These kids.

I need to play some Game Boy tonight. I got a nice fatty clear GB off of AA a few months ago and it hasn't been used nearly enough.

You know this screen seemed genius compared to what else we had at the time, aka Tiger Electronic games

I saw this when Joystiq posted the video. I felt less disgusted by the kids comments (to be fair we all teased our parents technology when we were young) and more disturbed by how many of these kids had iPads and I phones. Seriously some of these kids aren't even ten and they have devices that make a 3do look cheap.

I grew up in an upper middle class family and my parents hardly ever bought me much of anything. Because it was expensive! I remember coming home from toys r us with a new copy of super Mario brothers 3. I felt like king for a day. When you got a game it was a special occasion. Systems, if you were lucky, were only Christmas presents.

I donno. Kids today just feel more entitled.

• Like 8

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the comment about it being state-of-the-art at the time... figured the Lynx fans would flip when I watched this.

Meh, you can't expect the kids to actually know the history behind handhelds, much less that a culturally important piece like the Game Boy was technologically inferior to its competitors.

I saw this when Joystiq posted the video. I felt less disgusted by the kids comments (to be fair we all teased our parents technology when we were young) and more disturbed by how many of these kids had iPads and I phones. Seriously some of these kids aren't even ten and they have devices that make a 3do look cheap.

I grew up in an upper middle class family and my parents hardly ever bought me much of anything. Because it was expensive! I remember coming home from toys r us with a new copy of super Mario brothers 3. I felt like king for a day. When you got a game it was a special occasion. Systems, if you were lucky, were only Christmas presents.

I donno. Kids today just feel more entitled.

I just chalk it up to different times. I had a similar experience growing up (though I did have a console and computer from pretty much fifth grade on), but my daughters, ages 9 and 7 (and a third on the way), have never had a want for electronics. My youngest presently has an iPad 2, DSi, Windows Ultrabook, and access to all of my stuff (which is more or less endless). My oldest presently has a 3DS, DSi, Asus Android tablet, Windows gaming laptop, and also access to all of my stuff. Most of that stuff was simply hand-me-downs when I or my wife moved on to something else.

I suspect if you transport my childhood to the modern era, while it likely wouldn't have been quite as robust (after all, this is one of my passions), I bet I would have still ended up with several modern devices. I think that's just the way things are today unless you're really struggling financially or have some bizarre bias against kids having their own electronics. Generally speaking, today electronics are far more pervasive and generally affordable because of the general abundance and competition. When we grew up (at least when I did, in the 80s (I was born 1972), it was still early times, with a lot of people simply not grasping the concept. Lots of time has passed. I suspect my kids' kids will have even more, simply because again, there will be more of it at a lower price, and it will be even more tightly integrated into day-to-day activites, i.e., something you can't be without.

• Like 3

My kid loves Pong (I have a radio shack model) and my Atari 2600 although she'll only ask to play once in a while. She understands thats it old but just loves the controls lol. She currently uses an iPad and 3DS (and computer at times) for gaming. iPad is #1 though....

I am kinda getting tired of the kids react to old stuff bit. What makes it worse is that they all seem like wannabe child stars.

That said I think I am maybe expecting too much of a 9 year old to see and understand technology that predates them by a decade or two for what it is. Or to even make the link that their current devices like a DS is a direct descendant of the original Game Boy.

But what struck me as even more odd is that they didn't really get sucked into Tetris.

• Like 4

I agree; kids having $800 electronic devices of their own to drop in the sand and man-handle with their kool-aid fingers just seems wrong to me. How does a kid learn to appreciate things and appreciate the value of a dollar if they always have everything, up to and including the same electronic gizmos mom and dad are using?

• Like 3