IGNORED

What was the 1050 Kiwi chip for 1050?

Larry

Sounds like it, there was the Lazer happy Clone in the UK..

Found this...

http://nitroroms.com/show/file-info/39104/unk/unk

And Archiver chip apparently..

It leads to this software but the link is broken..

1050 to Kiwi Chip Archiver (19xx)(Kiwi Systems).zip

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

I would say get some pictures if you ever find one, dump the rom and try to get all info to remake :-D

I got a dozen of different happy's but not the kiwi or lazer one...

One of the rare things is Supermax I believe, that was when I remember correctly also Australian.

I did a little experimenting with the Kiwi Chip to Archiver file using my Happy 1050. The program looks and behaves just like the "Happy Archiver" file that was "floating around" for years and years -- but didn't work correctly. But when the Kiwi disk is booted, it does (apparently) correctly convert my Happy drive to the Archiver format. I could then load the Super Archiver software and it did appear to copy a disk correctly. So I would say that it does make a workable conversion. I have a "real" 1050 Happy Archiver disk, and it is very heavily copy-protected. The big difference between the Kiwi conversion (on a Happy 1050) and the real 1050 Happy Archiver is that the Happy Archiver software is built right into the conversion process (1 disk only). The Kiwi disk requires you to run the program and then load the Archiver software. But looks like the Kiwi guys knew what they were doing.

-Larry

• Like 1

One of the rare things is Supermax I believe, that was when I remember correctly also Australian.

Back in the 80's a mate of mine had a Supermax in his 1050. As you say it originated from Australia, IIRC it came bundled with SuperDOS. The upgrade was basically a tidied-up US Doubler. Just a plugin board containing a rom, an extra 6810 and an empty socket, no wires to solder. Installing it only required removing the 1050 rom and swapping the 1050's 6810 to the empty socket. The board plugged into the 1050 rom socket.

Although the Supermax did double density, the speed improvement was not very impressive. It was a big improvement over a stock drive, though. You could tell the difference in speed between his 1050 and my Copy Card 7 enhanced drive by just listening to the pitch of the datatransfer beeps and length of the pauses between those beeps. After seeing my 1050 in action he upgraded his drive with a CC7 within a few weeks and got rid of the Supermax.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

Back in the 80's a mate of mine had a Supermax in his 1050. As you say it originated from Australia, IIRC it came bundled with SuperDOS. The upgrade was basically a tidied-up US Doubler. Just a plugin board containing a rom, an extra 6810 and an empty socket, no wires to solder. Installing it only required removing the 1050 rom and swapping the 1050's 6810 to the empty socket. The board plugged into the 1050 rom socket.

Although the Supermax did double density, the speed improvement was not very impressive. It was a big improvement over a stock drive, though. You could tell the difference in speed between his 1050 and my Copy Card 7 enhanced drive by just listening to the pitch of the datatransfer beeps and length of the pauses between those beeps. After seeing my 1050 in action he upgraded his drive with a CC7 within a few weeks and got rid of the Supermax.

re-atari

Supermax is a plugin board with one wire to solder. Remove 2 chips (rom and ram) and plug in this board. SuperMAX originally worked like USDoubler except for the special format command and had a delay removed. Also some protected software didn't load due to the removed delay. First thing i did when i got the super products for the 8bit was to dissemble the rom, add in the delay so the protected disks worked and added the Sparta special format command. I also thought about adding smart buffering as the upgrade has a 2K ram chip, ie buffer directory and sector map depending on DOS version but gave it a miss. I did however play around with adding commands to dump contents of ram etc just for giggles.

I still have blank boards.

James

Thanks for the picture.

I have one of those.

It also has one pin that goes into the socket of the 6810 that was removed.

BR/

Guus Assmann

Correct. that is for R/W.

As a side note. The small chip is a HC version. The original maker tried a LS version but it kept playing up or wouldn't work properly or at all. Someone suggested to use the HC as it was faster....

Another note, when i modded the Supermax rom, i added a longer copyright notice to the beginning of the code only to find it wouldn't work. I eventually discovered that if the message didn't go over a certain length, the firrmware worked fine. Only thing i could figure out was a page boundary for a branch was crossed that upset the apple cart somehow.

James

Here is a pic of supermax. The 3 black wires go to a switch for normal 1050 firmware and supermax firmware.

James

That indeed is the Supermax my mate had back then. My memory about the board is completely different to what the picture shows, but now I see it I do recognize it. Don't know where my recollection of swapping the 6810 comes from, I must be getting old. Then again (in my defence) it's been 30+ years...

re-atari

Here is a pic of supermax. The 3 black wires go to a switch for normal 1050 firmware and supermax firmware.

James

BTW: I see a (homebrew?) mod around the trimcap aside the 2793, a 15k resistor and ceramic cap. What's its purpose?

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

BTW: I see a (homebrew?) mod around the trimcap aside the 2793, a 15k resistor and ceramic cap. What's its purpose?

re-atari

I actually have no idea. First time i noticed it. It looks like a factory mod. That trim cap is for the data separator built into the WD2793. Maybe it is for temp stability??

Here is a link on how to setup the data separator in the WD2793 that i found. http://www.s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/ZFDC%20Board/ZFDC.htm.

down near the end.

James

Edited by sup8pdct

Hello James,

Do you happen to know the exact type of the TTL circuit?

The Ram is a 6116, I tried that Ram in my version and it worked fine.

Also on my sample, the numbers on the IC's have been made unreadable.

Once I know the IC, I'll draw the schematics diagram. (Or do you hav ethat as well?)

Then it may be possible to add this to a flopy enhancement that been worked on.

BR/

Guus

I actually have no idea. First time i noticed it. It looks like a factory mod. That trim cap is for the data separator built into the WD2793. Maybe it is for temp stability??

I've never seen it in a European 1050, and back then I have worked on quite a number of them. As you say, it might very well be a stability mod.

Maybe Guus can shed some light on the subject, from his days at Atari Benelux hardware dept?

re-atari

Do you happen to know the exact type of the TTL circuit?

Also on my sample, the numbers on the IC's have been made unreadable.

Once I know the IC, I'll draw the schematics diagram. (Or do you hav ethat as well?)

Then it may be possible to add this to a flopy enhancement that been worked on.

I somehow recall you have a HiLo All-07 programmer. If so, its software contains a module that can identify unknown TTL and CMOS chips, from my own experience this works quite reliably. It´s a big shame the software is DOS only, in Windows it won't even work in a DOS-box.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

Hello James,

Thanks, good to know.

And the modded software would also be very welcome.

I'll get the schematics worked out and once done, will post them.

One remark to the topicstarter: Kiwi is the term used for people from New Zealand... :grin: And mostly not meant in a very friendly way at that. I do like the fruit with that name. :twisted:

The name on my PCB is Supermax II.

BR/

Guus

Hello Guus

A "kiwi" is a bird*. What we call "kiwi" is actually called kiwi-fruit.

Sincerely

Mathy

*: An animal often but not always able to fly, not a woman!

What's hilarious, is the kiwi fruit over here, my 10 year old nephew laughs his ass off, because they look like a hairy ball-bag to him. He lets us know it too.

Hello all,

I managed to get the schematics of the device drawn.

And on the bottom of the PCB the name is Supermax rev 1.0

One small problem, I can't read the Eprom properly with my new Eprom burner. (The Eprom is a NEC D2764 and I guess it's too slow)

But I did manage to make a copy in both another Eprom and a 29F010 Flash. The Eprom copy makes the 1050 spinn and step so I guess it's ok.

But there's quite some space left in the Eprom and that's not what I'dd expect.

So I do hope the binary is ok, but I cannot veryfy that right now.

BR/

Guus Assmann

ULT_II.pdf

Ultimate.bin