IGNORED

[Aquarius] information about correct YPbPr colours from the palette

so, for replacing the lines 14..32 from https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mess/video/aquarius.c , i guess these values are the most closer to the reality? (i based on the TEA1002.xls, using dec2hex function on Gnumeric)

static const rgb_t aquarius_colors[] =
{
	rgb_t(0x00, 0x00, 0x00), /* Black */
	rgb_t(0xC4, 0x00, 0x1B), /* Red */
	rgb_t(0x07, 0xBF, 0x00), /* Green */
	rgb_t(0xC9, 0xB9, 0x08), /* Yellow */
	rgb_t(0x00, 0x06, 0xB7), /* Blue */
	rgb_t(0xB8, 0x00, 0xD2), /* Magenta */
	rgb_t(0x00, 0xC7, 0xA4), /* Cyan */
	rgb_t(0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF), /* White */
	rgb_t(0xBF, 0xBF, 0xBF), /* Grey */
	rgb_t(0x41, 0xA6, 0x95), /* Dark Cyan */
	rgb_t(0x83, 0x28, 0x90), /* Dark Magenta */
	rgb_t(0x06, 0x0E, 0x69), /* Dark Blue */
	rgb_t(0xBA, 0xB2, 0x56), /* Dark Yellow */
	rgb_t(0x3C, 0x98, 0x2F), /* Dark Green */
	rgb_t(0x7F, 0x19, 0x2A), /* Dark Red */
	rgb_t(0x00, 0x00, 0x00)  /* Black */
};
Edited by nitrofurano
  • Like 2

Thank you very much! Thanks also for the information and pictures for the composite circuit! I think I'll include the composite components on the PCB, to make the installation as easy as possible.

It would be nice to combine this upgrade and my "SuperFont" reprogrammable characters upgrade into a single board that is small enough to install inside the RF modulator footprint. Shrinking it down that much may require the use of programmable logic, but once I have a working "SuperFont" prototype (I'm waiting on some parts at the moment), I'll see if I can make them fit.

Hi Jay and Bruce,

This sounds very good to me, but please don't forget us PAL users ;)

Edited by Aquaman
  • Like 3

so, for replacing the lines 14..32 from https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mess/video/aquarius.c , i guess these values are the most closer to the reality? (i based on the TEA1002.xls, using dec2hex function on Gnumeric)

I just tried those color values in Gimp, and they perfectly match the sample posted by Bruce in #10, so it looks like your conversions were correct. I'd say it's a much closer approximation of the Aquarius palette than what MESS has been using so far.

As for supporting PAL ... I do have a PAL Aquarius that Martin generously sent to me, but I don't yet have a PAL CRT which accepts composite or RGB inputs, or a suitable power converter. There are CRT monitors (such as the JVC TM-A13SU) which can accept either PAL or NTSC, so perhaps that's an option.

btw, i guess (and hope...) both NTSC and PAL palettes are the same?

Yes. Color encoding in the Aquarius is the same for both PAL and NTSC.

The TEA1002 was designed to only produce PAL video. In an NTSC Aquarius the 8.866MHz crystal frequency is changed to 7.159MHz, and a circuit added to correct the color burst phase for NTSC. The timing of the PAL Switch signal (generated by ULA1) is also changed to support the burst phase correction, and to prevent the phase from inverting on each alternate line. But the TEA1002 still 'thinks' it is producing PAL!

• Like 2

That looks marvelous! Thanks once again for your work on this, and also for your explanation of PAL vs. NTSC with regard to the TEA1002. Interesting little chip.

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds as if your RGB/Composite upgrades will work in both PAL and NTSC Aquarius machines without modification. If so, I'll proceed to use this latest version of your design verbatim in my upgrade kit. If there are any changes that need to be made to accommodate PAL and/or NTSC users, just let me know.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

great news! MESS will come with palette fixing next version (or now, if some of you want to compile the sources from GitHub!!)

http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97634&page=2

and here is a tip: the forum there is really active, and the GitHub account as well - so if any of you still find something might need fixing or improvement, be welcome posting there (even better with detailed technical information, like this one)

it's really a great day for Aquarius! \o/

• Like 1