IGNORED

Trak-ball help

Star castler

Centipede and Galaxian don't work with the outer buttons on my system. You could try to clean the contacts on the inside of the controller.

Ok so then I guess that's how it is supposed to be then unless someone else here can verify. Just got this from an ebay seller and wanted to make sure I didn't get a defective one. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

5200 Trak-Ball uses a bumper pool cue ball. This is not the standard size pool cue. I found perfect replacements at a local pool / spa / recreation room center that dealt in bumper pool (among other things). The Trak-ball I ordered is slightly off-white but is *much* cleaner than the yellowed, aged ball that was original to my unit. This place had to order them from a manufacturer overseas, and I think I paid about $9 for the cue.

Any billiards / pool / sporting goods retailer should be able to acquire this part. The new ones are much cleaner and brighter than the old.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there anything that can be done with the fire buttons? Mine have to be pressed really hard to register. I took it apart and cleaned and oiled the rollers and now it rolls fine. The fire buttons look good the plastic that covers the leaf is intact and the springs are there but they still don't work right.

• 2 months later...

I have a CX-53 Trackball, everything works EXCEPT the cursor will not move up and down. I tried to clean out the light sensor chips with some electronics cleaner and a small piece of cotton which I moved around the inside of the sensor chip with a really tiny screwdriver (being careful NOT to touch the sensor with the screwdriver. That did not help. It still won't move the cursor up and down. I took the sensors off of the motherboard, then I noticed two small pieces of metal about 1/4"x3/8" which I don't know where they came from, so I don't know where to put them back into! Duh, stupid me, I should have been more careful. Anyway, can anyone help me get my trackball working again? Help me find out where these two small pieces of metal (with a tiny slot in the middle of each) came from, and how to get the cursor to go up and down when the trackball rolls that direction. Thanks. - Ed (Where can I find a schematic for the CX-53, and a diagram of parts that make up the CX-53 so I can see where everything goes? Thanks again!

Edited by rolccone

I have a CX-53 Trackball, everything works EXCEPT the cursor will not move up and down. I tried to clean out the light sensor chips with some electronics cleaner and a small piece of cotton which I moved around the inside of the sensor chip with a really tiny screwdriver (being careful NOT to touch the sensor with the screwdriver. That did not help. It still won't move the cursor up and down. I took the sensors off of the motherboard, then I noticed two small pieces of metal about 1/4"x3/8" which I don't know where they came from, so I don't know where to put them back into! Duh, stupid me, I should have been more careful. Anyway, can anyone help me get my trackball working again? Help me find out where these two small pieces of metal (with a tiny slot in the middle of each) came from, and how to get the cursor to go up and down when the trackball rolls that direction. Thanks. - Ed (Where can I find a schematic for the CX-53, and a diagram of parts that make up the CX-53 so I can see where everything goes? Thanks again!

https://console5.com/wiki/Atari_5200#Controller_.2F_Keypad_.2F_Trackball_Schematics has schematics.

http://www.atariguide.com/pdfs/Atari_5200_Field_Service_Manual.pdf - section 7 of the Atari 5200 Field Service Manual has trak-ball info, including diagrams. Page 142 of the PDF is where up/down cursor troubleshooting flowcharts begin.

Can you post a photo of the metal pieces?

Edited by Ballblaɀer

Sure, I can post a photo of the two "phantom" metal (actually, I think they are metal covered plastic) pieces...I've attached them as as a JPG file to this reply. I put the pencil in the photo so you can get an idea of what the relative size of the pieces are. Hope you can help! Thanks for the info. on the service manual covering the trak-ball! I'll check that out!

- Ed

post-46706-0-52954700-1471619576_thumb.jpg

I'm not immediately familiar with what they are, and I haven't opened up my Trak-Ball in a long while. Might they be two of the retaining clips mentioned on pgs 150-152 of the Service Guide PDF?

There doesn't seem to be anything that looks like them on the silkscreen (or the parts list), so the retaining clips is just my best guess. Hopefully someone else can jump in here to help further.

Thanks for pointing me to the proper place in the Service Manual. Right now, it all means Greek to me, but I will find someone who can help me or I'll figure it out...I'm just that kind of person, I don't give up. Thanks for all your help. I didn't see the small metal pieces in the diagrams, they aren't the hold-down pins, they almost look like gaskets of some sort. I really think that it may be one of the opti-sensors or even the connection cable! Thanks again. - Ed

Does ANYBODY know where I can purchase parts for the CX-53 Atari 5200 Trak-ball (optisensors, optisensor LEDs, rollers, bearings, etc.)? I simply can't find them ANYWHERE and I've scoured the web for days now. Where can I get parts for this thing? Thanks!

- Ed