IGNORED

Player/Missile, a new Atari 8-bit game podcast

Thanks, Paul! I had another music clip lined up but once Gyruss came to mind the theme wouldn't leave my brain. Love it love it love it, even better than the arcade theme.

I agree with you. The Atari 8-bit Gyruss music IS better than the arcade version. It might be because it's more prominent in the sound mix. Or the fact that they had 4 sound channels to work with (I'm not sure, but I don't think the arcade version did).

Great job on the Caverns Of Mars episode, Rob. As a kid, that was one of those games that impressed me as well. I remember my friend Darren getting it for his 800 well before I had my 800XL. We played it quite a bit. But, like you, by the time I got my 8-bit, it wasn't a game I picked up. I had moved on to other games by that point.

Still, an impressive game, and at the time, pretty unique - more than just a shooter, as you had the element of getting out once you triggered the 'bomb' at the bottom of the cavern.

It could be very frustrating though, especially at the higher levels. One tiny miscalculation and the unforgiving collision detection would punish you instantly.

And, I must say, the Mike DesChenes interview was a wonderful surprise. Nicely done. There was no indication that this was your first interview. It flowed like a casual conversation, and your questions were well chosen and gave me a great deal of insight into a magazine I loved and devoured as a kid.

Bottom line.. I'm really impressed by your podcast. Please keep doing what you're doing!

-Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And, I must say, the Mike DesChenes interview was a wonderful surprise. Nicely done. There was no indication that this was your first interview. It flowed like a casual conversation, and your questions were well chosen and gave me a great deal of insight into a magazine I loved and devoured as a kid.

Bottom line.. I'm really impressed by your podcast. Please keep doing what you're doing!

Paul,

Sorry for the late response -- I've been traveling. As a bonus, I was able to a slight detour on this business trip to hit the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, so I'll have an overview of that for the next episode.

I want to thank you for the encouragement. It's high praise indeed, considering the quality show and interviews you do. I really appreciate it. Mike was a great first interview as I found him extremely personable and easy to talk to. I had had a few conversations with him prior to recording the interview which I think helped reduce my nervousness.

Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hmm wonder if I had a hand in building Michael Current's magazine collection, as we were both S.P.A.C.E. (Atari club) members. He was club president at the time. I've since moved on, but before leaving I donated my ANTIC mag collection to the club. I had March '85, Jun-Jul '85, then subscribed from Nov '85 thru the next-to-last issue in 1990(?)

The meeting place had a storage room where lots of Atari stuff was kept, & the club paid a monthly fee to do so. Maybe he took them on...?

Also, just as he began his BallBlazer story, I thought it was gonna be about me....we both attended the 1st ever JagFest* & played against each other in BallBlazer. I beat him handily though he blamed the controller. So his brother isn't the only one he cannot defeat! :)

*This evolved into Midwest Gaming Cliassic

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Listening to the Shamus ep, specifically the Michael Portuesi interview, I didnt catch what program he wrote for COMPUTE! or what issue it appeared in.

I dont see his name listed over on www.atarimagazines.com under the index of COMPUTE! magazine authors.

Rob doesnt follow this thread? :(

Ha! Woops, I had unfollowed it accidently.

So Michael's articles were accepted to be published by Compute!, but they never made it clear to him what magazine issue it would have been in. Then instead of publishing it in one of the issues, they decided to publish it in one of the best-of books, https://archive.org/details/ataribooks-computes-atari-collection-vol-2

I'll update the show notes to include the link to that book in there.

Looking them over, I think for starters I'll type in the first game, Guardian by Heath Lawrence- I remember his name from past ANTIC magazine submissions. IIRR his games were pretty good.

& I also remembered correctly that Heath sent in a bunch of games to ANTIC & they accepted & printed most of them. Im thinking Guardian is one ANTIC didnt accept, for whatever reason...

"(It was a dull afternoon at the Antic Submissions Department-until we opened the unusually bulky envelope from Canada. Heath Lawrence's cover letter explained that he'd been working on a book of type-in Atari games that publishers kept turning down because "Atari products are not marketable anymore." Now he had seven completed games to offer Antic. Were we interested? Well since Heath's games were clearly right up there with the best we have ever published here, we were more than interested-we delightedly accepted most of the collection! The current plan is to put all our Heath Lawrence games into print by the end of 1987, publishing one game approximately every other month.-ANTIC ED)"

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Wow what are those type-in game ratings based on over at AtariMania? I typed in Heath's game Citadel when it was published BITD & I thought it was much better than a 1.5/10. I had Cliffhanger & Vectron too, fun games IMO. I might type in Vectrron to play with my kids.

• 1 year later...

I think it was October? I'm taking a break as I figure out how to streamline my production process and collect physical copies of the magazines.

On that note, if anyone has some spare copies of ANALOG before issue 9, or any extra Compute!s or Creative Computing, I'll happily take them off your hands! Until the UK magazines come up in the timeline, I think I'm going to focus on the 4 magazines I read regularly: ANALOG, Antic, Compute! and Creative Computing. I'll still probably look at the others, but just a cursory summary. That's my current thinking, anyway.

• 1 year later...

I've been working so much on Omnivore 2.0 that I haven't had time to record anything. I'm going to resurrect the podcast in 2019, changing the game segment from a review to reverse engineering.

Each episode, I'm going to look at a different game and some aspect of it to be the focus of a tutorial on some feature of Omnivore.

• Like 4

I've been working so much on Omnivore 2.0 that I haven't had time to record anything. I'm going to resurrect the podcast in 2019, changing the game segment from a review to reverse engineering.

Each episode, I'm going to look at a different game and some aspect of it to be the focus of a tutorial on some feature of Omnivore.

Woohoo! Glad to hear the podcast is returning!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...