IGNORED

Pitfall III "proto" I acquired in 1997

rbudrick

Well, it certainly looks like the same type of hoax cart as in the description of Harriet's Quest.

Your circuit board was also cut and the label looks also like the one that was described in the article.

8)

Yeah, it's very strangely similar on those counts. Grizz didn't say this was one of his though. I think he would have (suspecting he'll say no if he comes back), but still, extremely similar to the point of some real omg coincidence.

-Rob

But you didn't make my cart, right, Grizz? lol.

-Rob

Nope.. made only the 3 in the Seattle area. When we did these, it was at the end of the work day and we were in a funky mood. I grabbed a heat gun and peeled a label of an Activision cart and Ben had shipping labels ready to print in his printer, so we let it fly. I used the heat gun to simulate Actiplaque and the first one looked so good we made 2 more and then decided to "seed" the countryside. We peeled some Goodwill Price tags off of some carts lying around and attached them to the carts. We never expected anyone to post about finding one... Although we were speculating.. what if? Somewhere there are two more... I'd love to have the one Brian found for nostalgic purposes. I think he sent it to Sean Kelly for verification. Not sure if Sean has it anymore.

Damn this brings back some good memories of a magical time in my collecting years. When thrift stores and swap meets were loaded with all kinds of goodies. I miss those days. :-(

It seems Pitfall III was the subject of several pranks back in the day. Back in the early days of eBay I bought an Atari 2600 collection through the site. In the mix was a label-less Imagic cart with a handwritten "Pitfall III" on a piece of masking tape. The thing didn't want to work at first, so I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed the cartridge contacts, until finally the game revealed itself to be... Demon Attack. Of course I wasn't expecting any bigger reveal, especially given it was the case for an Activision game, but in those few minutes before it actually worked, it was fun to imagine what it might look like.

• 2 weeks later...

Someday, the dude who made this cart is gonna google pitfall 3 and just maybe he'll find this thread (unless AA threads are hidden from google...I dunno). He will reveal his hoax and cure me of this mystery. I've gotta say, for the late 90s, this hoax was pretty ahead of it's time for my Podunk area. I wish I knew how those old people got it, though. Stupid. Hate this mystery,

-Rob

Edited by rbudrick