IGNORED

8bit version of Space Invaders

Master Phruby

I believe that Allan is incorrect. In the 5200 version, when the invaders are moving to the left side of the screen, they never reach the edge. This is because the spaceship that is normally there in the 400/800 version was taken out, but their movement is still coded as if it’s still there.

The 5200 version (by Eric Manghise) is a modified (hacked) version of the 400/800 version (by Rob Fulop). Besides removing the spaceship, Eric "tweaked" the graphics of the invaders.

See screen shot.

post-291-0-65980100-1405868084_thumb.gif

I highly doubt Space Invaders for the Atari 5200 was "programmed from scratch".

From a business point of view, it makes no sense for Manghise to create the game from scratch. My theory is that management knew Fulop's 400/800 version would run on the 5200 platform and they assigned Manghise to simply modify the code. This allowed Atari to get the game available for sale and add it to the 5200 library of games as quickly as possible so people could buy it.

If he actually did, please post your reference.

It was reprogrammed from scratch. I believe the programmer said so.

Allan

Edited by timdu

I never likes this version much. Having the invaders enter from one side makes it too easy, and the low point values for the saucers makes them not worth going after. The animations of the invaders on the 5200 is great, though.