IGNORED

HOW TO Catalog Your Games

Every serious gamer wants a good solution for cataloging their game collection. But which site or application should you choose? I demo 6 of the most popular methods of organizing your game collection and show you the Pros & Cons of each.
Sites Shown:
RFGeneration.com
Collectorz.com
Backloggery.com
VGCollect.com
GameVault (iOS app)
Delicious-monster.com
What are YOU using?
  • Like 7

I've used Collectorz for around a decade now, I was about to stop when they announce the "subscription" deal but its not that bad. If you decide to stop you can keep your current build and even download it as many times as you want and keep using it.

The only reason I haven't switched to something else is because I have over a thousand games in it and really dont feel like re-entering in everything on something else plus its pretty damn good.

Collectorz also has a solid import export feature, so if you have tons of Steam games you can use notepad\Excel to make a list of those (from your purchase history) and import them into Collectorz.

Excel works too and I also have an account on RFGeneration.

Excel is a great option, especially if you are willing to put in the work. However... I do like how Delicious Library calculates REPLACEMENT value on the entire collection automatically. Very handy for insurance purposes.

What is this based on? I assume something like pricecharting.com? How complete is the coverage on the really rare stuff?

Nice video. I actually started a thread a while back wondering what options were out there cuz I was planing on starting an inventory of my stuff. I found most people do use spreadsheets which was an option I had been considering. Maybe I'm being a little OCD but I never found an option I really liked and have to admit even your list doesn't seem to do what I want. My issue is I don't want to use stock photo's. I wouldn't mind putting in the time it would take to make a photo inventory of all my games. The reason is, I want to see my actual games so while I'm out thrifting I can check to see if I have that particular label variation. Or perhaps I'll find a game with a pristine label and I wonder "I know I have this game but maybe it would be worth picking this one up cuz maybe my label has some kids name written on it". Anyway I'm actually kind of surprised something like this doesn't already exist. It seems like it would be a great thing to have for any collection, or maybe just to inventory my whole house in case of a fire or something. I kinda wish I was some kind of a programming wiz. I think you could make some real cash off an app like that. I started a spreadsheet but never finished cuz it didn't do me much good on the go. I think I'm going to give some of your options a try and see how they works.

Excel is a great option, especially if you are willing to put in the work. However... I do like how Delicious Library calculates REPLACEMENT value on the entire collection automatically. Very handy for insurance purposes.

That is pretty cool.

I started playing around with RFGeneration after I watched your video, and I do like that you can look at what other people have and whether other users are selling/trading something you're looking for, and vice versa. The networking aspect of that is very nice since it's a great way to build collections.

The problem I run into with these database sites is that I have so many random things that none of the databases have, from subtle Atari 2600 label variations to cassette-based computer games to entire platforms (mostly in the realm of computers), that it would take me an absurd amount of time to upload/submit entries for all of them.

That is a very nifty feature. I'll have to check it out. I use an Excel spreadsheet and I've entered what I've paid for the games but that's not the same as replacement value. Something to check out. Thanks!

I use DataCrow, a GNU software working on multi-platforms.

cat.png

It allow for software, books, music albums, and other stuff.

You can customize many aspects and use them to sort your games : platform, editor, developer, year, etc...

Also, with the title you can do an online search for filling out most of the form, which can be helpful sometime.

• Like 1

Good video, I keep my stuff rather simple and just use Excel spreadsheets with C/I/B columns.

C/I/B?

I also use a spreadsheet... started out in Excel but I moved it to Google Docs for portability. I don't record anything other than the games' titles, except for NES, where I'll also list the publisher.

I've had an account on RFGeneration for years but have yet to complete the list. In fact I went on there in the first time in ages and just added 14 games simply because you reminded me of it, MJ. It's just so damn time consuming and frustrating.

C/I/B?

I also use a spreadsheet... started out in Excel but I moved it to Google Docs for portability. I don't record anything other than the games' titles, except for NES, where I'll also list the publisher.

Cart/Instruction/Box. For some systems where I only collect complete games, I just have a simple checkbox column for whether or not I have the game. Actually now that I think about it, US N64 and Atari 7800 are the only collections I have in this format.

In the old days I used PFS on my Apple II. It became limited and slow and had a max # of about 1000 entries. Good for the time, but wholly inadequate today.

Today I use an eclectic mix of Excel, Word, and the NTFS file-system directory layout. Hey! It works for me!

Important fields are:

Name

Date of release

System

Hardware or Software

A photo (up to 6)

There also 3 "notes" fields to provide for future commentary.

I've been keeping my list local since the mid 1970's and it's fantastic! Like I say I started out with pencil and paper, and then on to PFS. I stayed with that till I got my 486, then I did the Excel and Word gig. When I got into XP and emulation I added in the NTFS directory structure.

Edited by Keatah

I don't like that most solutions for cataloguing are "online" and require you to make an account on someone else's system. I would like to purchase a software application and add my collection, that's it.

For the moment, I use a Numbers spreadsheet on a Macintosh to track my Intellivision game collection. Mostly what I track are the title, genre or category, publisher, and status (new, CIB, cart only).

So far it works for me. I use it to understand what I have, to know what I'm missing, and to know what I have available to trade.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Right now, I use flat text files for games of certain systems, a binder full of partially printed, partially hand-written checklists for hardware, and my memory for everything else. Yeah, it's not the best solution, and finding something new is on my to-do list. Thanks for the video!

• Like 1

I'm using an android app called My Game Collection. I needed something I could easily access on the go while in a store so I didn't end up purchasing games twice by mistake. You just type in a portion of the game's name and it searches a database and you simply pick the game and add it to your collection. It shows some nice artwork for each game and lets you browse by system, etc. I couldnt live without it. Its also free.

Edited by jeffbab

• 6 years later...

How do you catalogue games that are  in a compilation ? Take Castlevania Anniversary Collection for example and Super Castlevania IV.

So I own Super Castlevania IV on the PS4 which emulates the SNES version.

How would you catalogue it ?

a). Super Castlevania IV on PS4

b). Super Castlevania IV on SNES

c). Not catalogue it at all and just catalogue the compilation 

d). Something I haven’t thought of.

Sorry if this is anal but it has been bugging me for ages and I can’t seem to stick to any one method. So thought I would ask how everyone else would catalogue it.

Edited by sut
Grammar

It's part of a PS4 compilation -  you list the compilation in your catalogue. You can then sub-list the games in the compilation, noting that this is emulation of SNES on PS4.

You can also list it separately, and note that it runs on PS4 via emulation and is part of a compilation. Name the compilation as a note or in parentheses.

Or both ways. Both ways are totally valid.

• Thanks 1