IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

I received an e-mail from Curt last week that he is ordering 4 of the latest board design to build up for testing. I was going to wait until he had the boards in hand to post an update but it's been a while and it's clear that everyone wants to know what is going on. Thanks for your patience. :)

Thanks for the update!

• Like 1

I received an e-mail from Curt last week that he is ordering 4 of the latest board design to build up for testing. I was going to wait until he had the boards in hand to post an update but it's been a while and it's clear that everyone wants to know what is going on. Thanks for your patience. :)

Excellent news!

The added bonus now is that you can post another update once he does have the boards in hand. :)

tep392, on 01 Nov 2016 - 1:43 PM, said:

It will be more fun to post an update when I have a test unit in my hand. :)

Tep, I don't have a horse in this race, I'm just curious...I seem to recall reading that a prototype 7800 XM was shown off by Albert at the PGRE LAST year. What's changed so much between now and then that is requiring so much more work to be done? From what I had heard the unit shown then was fully playable and working, or did I mis-read the facts?

• Like 2

Just looking at 2 7800 projects it appears there were many 7800 revisions. Getting the 7800 projects working on every revision is holding things up I think. At least with the Concerto that seems to be the case. It doesn't seem like to far of a stretch to compare them and their issues.

Tep, I don't have a horse in this race, I'm just curious...I seem to recall reading that a prototype 7800 XM was shown off by Albert at the PGRE LAST year. What's changed so much between now and then that is requiring so much more work to be done? From what I had heard the unit shown then was fully playable and working, or did I mis-read the facts?

The XM that has been at the shows is the same unit for the last several years. There are a few problems that I know of. The Yamaha chip didn't work properly on the previous design so the audio circuit needed to be redone. Changes were made to the board to reduce noise. The high score cart was not working properly. The big change, which is driving a need for a larger CPLD, is a bus divider has been added to improve the stability of the system. There may be other issues that I'm not aware of.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It ain't coming. Get over it. This man shouldn't have taken anyone's money for it either. This thing was promised to come the year after unveiling. Then the run around updates that leave you with the same story for 6 years. Either you're going to do something or you don't. You don't half ass it and put time into it when you feel like it. You $%!#Ing do it, its cool while its just an idea in your head but completely different when there is peoples money on the line. I didnt even order the XM and I'm pissed off for those who did. Maybe this will be the year I deem this project dead in my books and stop following it, clearly at this rate it will ship in the year 2032 or never.

Some of you may be insulted but this is ridiculous. I swear the KnightRider 2600 game has made more progress. Don't do business if you can't handle business. Ed Laddin came out of nowhere and made $#!% happen. People were hesitant in the beginning and thought they would be ripped off by some unknown user, clearly they all didnt and received great things in return. What has anyone got out of this? Other users have offered services and always delivered. When I needed Missing In Action, someone here with the help of a few others made it happen. Need some other odd game made, they deliver when called upon. Answer questions and concerns, not go dark and return with yet another useless update.

For the sake of this entire community, I hope he proves me wrong. Then everyone will finally be happy and hard earned money wouldn't have gone to waste.

It ain't coming. Get over it. This man shouldn't have taken anyone's money for it either. This thing was promised to come the year after unveiling. Then the run around updates that leave you with the same story for 6 years. Either you're going to do something or you don't. You don't half ass it and put time into it when you feel like it. You $%!#Ing do it, its cool while its just an idea in your head but completely different when there is peoples money on the line. I didnt even order the XM and I'm pissed off for those who did. Maybe this will be the year I deem this project dead in my books and stop following it, clearly at this rate it will ship in the year 2032 or never.

Some of you may be insulted but this is ridiculous. I swear the KnightRider 2600 game has made more progress. Don't do business if you can't handle business. Ed Laddin came out of nowhere and made $#!% happen. People were hesitant in the beginning and thought they would be ripped off by some unknown user, clearly they all didnt and received great things in return. What has anyone got out of this? Other users have offered services and always delivered. When I needed Missing In Action, someone here with the help of a few others made it happen. Need some other odd game made, they deliver when called upon. Answer questions and concerns, not go dark and return with yet another useless update.

For the sake of this entire community, I hope he proves me wrong. Then everyone will finally be happy and hard earned money wouldn't have gone to waste.

Wow... haven't been on here in a while, I see things haven't changed.

I feel you. I was excited about this thing when I first heard about it, now I couldn't care less about it. I understand the technical delays, but since money was put down on it by so many people... this "project" should be prioritized. The best thing would have been NOT to take money for it. I actually think people should be refunded. They can always buy it if and when it does get completed... and I'm sure they will. No need to hold people's money hostage until then.

• 3 weeks later...

Blarg. Look, the money was paid so long ago, what does it matter? It's not like it's real money any more.

I've wasted hundreds of dollars on even less worthwhile crap since then (Butterfinger candy-bars and sugary soft drinks, I'm looking at you! >_<). Why bitch about this? $100 six years ago is the least of most of our worries right now. I believe Curt started the project in good faith. I think most of us do.

Is the wait ridiculous? Sure. Ill conceived and poorly planned out. Should be done by now. It's the principle of the thing. A thousand other complaints and arguments repeated ad infinitum for six year. Blah blah blah.

Still... This is a hobby. Put it into perspective.

As vintage gamers and collectors, many of us waste hundreds of man hours (not to mention loads of gas money) every year going to thrift stores and garage sales and searching craigslist ads hoping to score a big one and not finding anything. Not to mention the tens of thousands of hours spent playing games that earn us nothing but wasting time. (Or how about time wasted bitching on forums. Does that count too?) Translate all that time (and gas) into money and all of us have wasted insanely more than what was paid for this project.

People put up money hoping to get something cool. We all do that any time we spend time and resources on our hobby.

So it's not out yet. Maybe it'll never come out. Maybe it will. If it does, we just found the big thrift shop score. If not, well, there be other finds on other days. Either way, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the crap we waste our resources on. Looking at it from that direction, after six years, is it really worth getting upset about any more?

Seriously.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 3