Photo

7800 XM update

1387 replies to this topic

#1376 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Industry Veteran

• 5,481 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:43 PM

I don't, and have never had a horse in this race, but as a casual and occasional outside observer, there doesn't seem to be any reason for the 7800XM to exist anymore. Nor has there been for some time, from what I gather.

When/if it finally comes out, there will only be, what, two or three games for it? And it's probably a safe bet that there won't be any more since, as Shawn pointed out, we have the Versa board now. Even those once-exclusive XM games won't need the XM anymore.

At this point the project seems to be about simply trying to recoup, as much as possible, the investments that were made and just being done with it. Which is certainly understandable. But even when/if it's finished and people finally get theirs after so many years, then what? They can play a better version of Donkey Kong that's already going on five years old?

To be clear, I don't mean to dump on the 7800XM project or the people involved with it at all. It was ambitious and would have been an impressive device at the time it was originally planned to have been released, but due to unfortunate circumstances--some of which couldn't have been helped (devastating health problems) and some which could (feature creep)--its time has simply passed.

[/$0.02]

#1377 Zoyx OFFLINE  

Zoyx

Stargunner

• 1,538 posts
  • Prominent Internet User

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:47 PM

First I've heard of the VersaBoard. Where can I get one?

#1378 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,096 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:10 PM

I think the xm would be great so we don't have to depend on Ballblazer carts for pokey . I am not sure what all is trying to be added or done to the xm but if simplified to just being for pokey and maybe even yamaha and thats it . Would that speed up and simplify the project ?

#1379 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 2,650 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:50 PM

Wish somebody would put a fork in this one.

#1380 philipj OFFLINE  

philipj

Moonsweeper

• 366 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:02 PM

I ordered mine three or four years ago...and I actually got a tracking number the next day so I thought it was finished.

I am still holding my breath, if for no other reason that Homebrew developers are *still working on games for it*.

To be honest, I am to still kind-of holding my breath on the release of this thing... When it's released, everyone (7800 owner) will want one immediately thus I want to be ahead of everybody. I still, also too, have my tracking number archived so I'm still waiting, but I understand that the long waiting period has kind of got me exhaling some if you catch my drift.

Wish somebody would put a fork in this one.

Not likely... I still have hope.

Edited by philipj, Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:05 PM.

#1381 Zonie OFFLINE  

Zonie

Stargunner

• 1,471 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:08 PM

At least you got a tracking number...

#1382 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 3,490 posts

Posted Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 PM

How did it turn into this nonsense again?..
We had a update that Curt had a valve job done and we all wished him to get well. Can we leave it at that till the next update comes from tep?
Stay positive everyone! Please.

#1383 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 696 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 AM

How did it turn into this nonsense again?..
We had a update that Curt had a valve job done and we all wished him to get well. Can we leave it at that till the next update comes from tep?
Stay positive everyone! Please.

What nonsense? These are two separate issues at this point. The human factor is obvious and no one seems to take issue with that. The other factor is discussing scenarios to bring this project to some conclusion that one or more people may be OK with as yet another year passes and more potential stumbling blocks arise. I don't see the issue with that. No one is making this personal. We all know how bad this is in all ways. Discussing scenarios responsibly on a discussion forum doesn't seem out of place.

#1384 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,839 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 AM

Well, *I* had a reason for the XM, but eh.  Until I had a way to even develop and test for the system in its full (keyboard and SIO) configuration it would be academic anyway.

#1385 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 3,490 posts

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:10 PM

What nonsense? These are two separate issues at this point. The human factor is obvious and no one seems to take issue with that. The other factor is discussing scenarios to bring this project to some conclusion that one or more people may be OK with as yet another year passes and more potential stumbling blocks arise. I don't see the issue with that. No one is making this personal. We all know how bad this is in all ways. Discussing scenarios responsibly on a discussion forum doesn't seem out of place.

nonsense... people asking again and again if they can buy VersaBoards that will replacce the xm. People stating the the ym chip was an afterthought when it was there from day 1. This has all been harshed out so much people have changed the facts.

#1386 tep392 OFFLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• 2,570 posts

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:49 PM

Regarding the YM chip, I've heard it work and don't know of any roadblocks to including it.  I believe Curt has all the chips as well.  Regarding Curts health, he's said he is feeling much better since the surgery and sounds enthusiastic to get back to work on the XM.  When it's time for another update, which will be when he has new proto's built, we will probably publish it in a blog post and retire this thread.

#1387 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• 4,422 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:51 PM

I try not to enter into this discussion too much because I currently have no skin in this game, but I just wanted to add my opinion to recent comments about XM being obsolete.

If the XM comes out this year or later, the world absolutely has not passed it by. Ballblazer carts are only getting more rare - there's a premium price on AA carts using POKEY as a result. I'm pretty sure Al would be happy to do without the extra hassle in sourcing and harvesting a chip that's only becoming rarer. Personally I'd rather see POKEYs go to repairing A8s and arcade boards, if we can have our POKEY cake and eat it too.

I plan to keep adding features to 7800basic that don't require XM functionality, but will absolutely take advantage of it. When XM is released and I get my hands on one, I'll add XM exclusive features to 7800basic. I'll be absolutely giddy to support the YM chip... I've already harvested a bunch of instrument patches from various sources.

I get that some people have given up and are pissed. Totally their right, totally understandable. I'm just saying that if Curt's health does turn around and the project gets completed, it won't be for naught.

#1388 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 3,490 posts

Posted Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 PM

Regarding the YM chip, I've heard it work and don't know of any roadblocks to including it.  I believe Curt has all the chips as well.  Regarding Curts health, he's said he is feeling much better since the surgery and sounds enthusiastic to get back to work on the XM.  When it's time for another update, which will be when he has new proto's built, we will probably publish it in a blog post and retire this thread.

That would be great!!:)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users