IGNORED

Raycaster for the 2600 (Discussion) (2014)

Gip-Gip

I don't understand what you're doing so maybe this is non sequitor

do you understand that the collision flags get set during drawscreen

and will reflect the missile position at that time

also c01d2 has missile1y = missile1y + 1 is that really what you wanted?

In render ws01 = 4 is not in your test range(s)

Thank you for pointing out that I was making the missile go in the wrong direction in c01d2! Also, i did not know that collision flags are set when drawscreen is called. will be fixed!

Alright, after a small code fix it is partially working! Walls aren't changing sized properly, but that will be fixed soon! Also, due to the extra drawscreen, the screen flashes on an off constantly! So, if you are an epileptic, be wary!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102110774/2600DEV/RAYCASTER.txt

Edited by Gip-Gip

Alright, I have decided to use sprites instead of the playfield for level making, getting rid of the flicker and speeding up the process but loosing a sprite and the render distance.

For some reason, the screen doesn't appear to be drawing. Code: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102110774/2600DEV/RAYCASTER.txt

Edited by Gip-Gip

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to stop development of the raycaster because I feel like I am too ill researched on how they work and I also have almost no understanding of the required math, and I have almost no time to learn any of it or work on the project itself. I have appreciated all your help and I have learned so much! I will continue development when I have a better education and more time, but until then, sadly, development will halt for my edition of the raycaster.

Edited by Gip-Gip

as opposed to what I said in the last post, I am still working on the raycaster, just using arrays instead of sprites or playfields. the new version is hopefully more fast and stable than the last concept. Still having problems, though, so please help me debug if you can:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102110774/2600DEV/RAYCASTER.txt

• 1 month later...

Sorry nothing has been accomplished lately, I have been learning how frustrating it is when hard drives fail. Now since I have had more experience with DASM when I eventually remake the raycaster it will most likely be programmed in DASM. But it might be a while, so don't expect anything anytime soon.

• 4 months later...

After being idle for about 5 months I got a few ideas down:

The display will be 15x11 playfield pixels. It could be considered unbearable, but the raycaster will be able to render the scene in just 1 frame(hopefully).

The raycaster will be programmed in DASM assembler, taking away from the readability but allowing me to increase the vsync so the Atari can have more time to render.

The raycaster will mainly be programmed for NTSC televisions.

The height of each playfield pixel will be 2 scanlines.

Since I have not finished the raycaster this is about what it should look like:

post-39755-0-97911700-1428758617_thumb.gif

Once I get more of the code done I will post a link to the source.

Edited by Gip-Gip

After being idle for about 5 months I got a few ideas down:

The display will be 15x11 playfield pixels. It could be considered unbearable, but the raycaster will be able to render the scene in just 1 frame(hopefully).

The raycaster will be programmed in DASM assembler, taking away from the readability but allowing me to increase the vsync so the Atari can have more time to render.

The raycaster will mainly be programmed for NTSC televisions.

The height of each playfield pixel will be 2 scanlines.

Since I have not finished the raycaster this is about what it should look like:

post-39755-0-97911700-1428758617_thumb.gif

Once I get more of the code done I will post a link to the source.

Edited by Gip-Gip

• 7 months later...

So I finally came up with an alternate render method, which goes though an 256 byte array and draws the walls in accordance to the player's location. The flagging(wall detection) and actual rendering will occur in different blanks(the flagging in VBLANK, as it will take longer). While it may be a few months before I actually update you on this, I will try to implement this some way within the next week.