IGNORED

WANTED working PAK 020 for STFM

Theres a couple of us already working on a 16mhz booster, though we want to later add a 020 cpu to it, Though the 020 I have here I cant get working. Ultimately we want something similar to the PAK020 but running at faster speeds, probably 32mhz. Though it would help if I had a working PAK020 to experiment with.

You might want to check my pages out on progress.

http://exxos.www.idnet.com/IMPULSE/atari/last/16mhz/index.htm

The PAK could be re-made I guess, but we want to do out own updated design. We not looking into a 030 CPU or anything as theres another guy already doing those. Though the idea being to speed the system up with minimal software breaking. The 020 is as close to the 68k as you can get, but its faster, and with 25mhz devices out there already, should easily push to 32mhz. ROM speed will also be pushed so TOS/GEM related functions will gain a speed boost too. We may add cache later as this gives a larger speed boost than overclocking, though its getting onto breaking stuff which is what we are trying to avoid.

I do have a 020 in my STE, I dont think it has cache, though running that on TOS206 and almost nothing works software wise. Would just make life easier if I had a working PAK020 to fiddle with on my STFM so I can plot better where to draw the line from hardware mods to breaking stuff :)

Theres a couple of us already working on a 16mhz booster, though we want to later add a 020 cpu to it, Though the 020 I have here I cant get working. Ultimately we want something similar to the PAK020 but running at faster speeds, probably 32mhz. Though it would help if I had a working PAK020 to experiment with.

You might want to check my pages out on progress.

http://exxos.www.idnet.com/IMPULSE/atari/last/16mhz/index.htm

The PAK could be re-made I guess, but we want to do out own updated design. We not looking into a 030 CPU or anything as theres another guy already doing those. Though the idea being to speed the system up with minimal software breaking. The 020 is as close to the 68k as you can get, but its faster, and with 25mhz devices out there already, should easily push to 32mhz. ROM speed will also be pushed so TOS/GEM related functions will gain a speed boost too. We may add cache later as this gives a larger speed boost than overclocking, though its getting onto breaking stuff which is what we are trying to avoid.

I do have a 020 in my STE, I dont think it has cache, though running that on TOS206 and almost nothing works software wise. Would just make life easier if I had a working PAK020 to fiddle with on my STFM so I can plot better where to draw the line from hardware mods to breaking stuff :)

Wouldn't a very fast 68010 be truly closest to the 68000? Maybe a switchable 68010 with a 68881/68882 and Blitter sockets?

As for the 020 breaking software on TOS 2.06, have you tried it with all of the software that's been modded lately to work with hard drive installation, the later versions of TOS, the Blitter, and the 68030?

I have no talent for my ideas but I'd also love to see an upgrade board that adds a socket for the Motorola 56k found in the Atari Falcon. Why not go for broke at this point? :)

There was a reason for not using the 010, though can't remember exactly off hand, I think it was pretty much no use in moving to the 010. It wasn't until the 020 that instructions were done in say 3 cycles instead of 4 kinda thing. So it gives some speed boost in itself. I think the 020 has a instruction cache, and also can run easy at 25mhz. So it was the most logical jump to make. I think the 010 might be hard to find also. Youd have to check the specs as it was some time ago when I looked at it.

There is probably mods to run some software on TOS206, but overall I just want to use what I always have on floppy without looking for possible solutions which may not exist. Clean software such as basic GEM apps etc will no doubt function anyway, but in anycase, the addon board has been made switchable for TOS206.. 030 CPU someone else is already doing that so no use in re-creating someone else's work. If someone wants the fastest TOS machine then there is the CT60 Falcon.

The stock ST IMHO needs a boost in GEM speed, The CPU can be boosted with some instructions, as already proven some games really benefit from a faster CPU, some not so much. Its all "swings and roundabouts". Those who just want to add a nice speed boost to their ST without breaking too much and without spending too much, then this is what this addon aims to do. Plus we are trying to do all this without actually going broke ;)

There was some talks about a re-design of the ST motherboard with much improved mods, but the costs would be huge and the time spent a lot, the end board would likely end up £500+ easily, nobody would buy it, so little point in going down that road. Its more a case of the results would be re-inventing the falcon. So we have to draw the line somewhere as to what people are likely to be able to afford for the stuff.

If the current addon sells well then it gives us funds and motivation to continue to improve the stuff, though the Beta PCB's have been out for some months now, and only 2 sold. So its not really looking likely that there is much interest in boosting the ST's speed anyway. Its more for our own personal interest to see what can be done and how much we can push the hardware.

The PAK68 and the PAK68/2 (both with MC68020 CPU) are published with circuit diagram and GAL Files at the german magazine C´T´ from Heise ...

PAK68 -> pak68_1_sm.jpg

PAK68/2 -> pak68_2.jpg

The article are Online (all in German)-> https://www.heise.de/artikel-archiv/ct/1992/07/196_Hilfskraft

Use the Google Translator and the Google Search ...

Edited by frank.lukas

Thanks, I had not seen the PAK68 before, looks like no TOS and a lot simpler. I do have the german docs but it makes hard reading.

I was told you need TOS206 for the 020 CPU, it would make a good upgrade for the STE 020+206 but currently we are working on the STFM. Its looking like we are stuck with the 68000 for TOS104 for the STFM, and STE is better for the 020 and TOS206.

I think the PAK68 is build without any GALs, just normal TTL Chips ...

The Quartz on the Board is for the FPU (can run async to the CPU) and the 8Mhz Clock is doubled (74xx74) to 16Mhz for the 020 CPU ...

... a TOS 2.06 extension on the STFM Board is no Problem, I think !

Edited by frank.lukas

• 5 weeks later...

exxosuk

Sent updated documents with a few handwritten installation notes, in German of course :)

Check you MSG box.

Soon as I can breeze by the Dutch Rosseta Stone set the wife bought me, maybe German is next :)

BUT, they must revive Atari hardware :)

Any chance you would share these updated documents on the internet ?

Any chance you would share these updated documents on the internet ?

Sure :)

exxosuk said installation and bin file documents I have are the same he's found. Unless you'd like, won't bother to scan and post those.

What is posted here are PAK020 schematic with a few handwritten notes of the previous owner, presumably during installation.

post-19354-0-13933100-1409601249_thumb.gif post-19354-0-54498900-1409601274_thumb.gif

post-19354-0-31714900-1409601305_thumb.gif post-19354-0-73919900-1409601354_thumb.gif

Qurstion the pak/020 did replace the 68000 does it need a modified tos or can it work with the original tos?

Can't say for sure about the PAK020, but my PAK 68/3 requires either TOS v2.06 on the motherboard of

the machine it's being put into, or a modified TOS v3.06.

If you look at that last diagram, it looks like its got jumper settings for TOS v2.06/TOS v3.06...

HTHs.

• Like 1

I replaced a 68010 in my Atari STe, it worked with TOS 2.06...mostly. I found a bug which crashes the system on bootup when reading the desktop.inf file. A disassembly of the TOS shows that they check whether there is a 68030 or 68000 on board, but they don't check for a 68010. To distinguish between a 68030 and 68020, a PFLUSHA instruction causes a line-F trap, so it means it's a 68020. Not sure TOS does this type of check, though.

• Like 1