IGNORED

New external power supply?

iscout62

I lucked into a box of brand new external frame power supplies that work exceptionally well for the colecovision.

This is a real switching supply, and it's pretty small form factor wise.

+12@2A

+05@3A

-05@350mA

If I was to put these supplies into an enclosures, would there be any interest in the community?

This would be a replacment supply, using the the cable end of the wall wart you already have. I'll put a molex fixture on the dc side of the supply, all you would have to do is crimp it together.

In the case of someone without a existing Coleco wall-wart, I could supply a pin type cable that would fit into the existing 4pin male plug on the console..

What say ye?

It all depends on the encolsure, but I'm looking to make a little for my time.

A used supply (Coleco) runs about $20-ish on the auction sites.

The supply alone is $25.00, adding a decent enclosure with an AC/EFI filtering socket and (fabricated) console cable would be about $25.00

I could build and ship a complete unit (to US destinations) for about $60 dollars, I have enough parts laying around in my bin to make a run of eight right now.

I know the suzo-happ supplies are significantly cheaper, however I believe this is a better for a console application.

:)

and what if someone want to send you a stock powersupply to pull the cord from

you do the work to add the connector to the cable the send me the finished product.

kind of like a core credit for the old power supply as long as the cord is good.

would that make a difference in the cost?

just asking to give ideas on keeping the cost down.

If I get a good cable, that will shave a few bucks off for sure. It would be best to just send just the cable in a padded envelope however, otherwise the savings is eaten up by shipping the old transformer. I could sell a complete unit for $50 with a good user-supplied cable.

I also have regulator modules that can be added to the Coleco supply that can be configured for any voltage range you need within (+3.0 to +35.0) VDC.

:)

Edited by iscout62

Updates!

Not shown, LED indicator, and optional power rail for a 2nd and 3rd console.
(This supply can be fitted with additional power fixtures, This will provide regulated voltages for three sepearate gaming consoles.
Coleco, Atari, Nintendo, Sega.
I can build any configuration to order.
Anyone interested?
Thanks!
Edited by iscout62

Considering you can buy arcade PS's that put out the proper voltages for $10-$15 all day long online, umm no.

I totally understand where you are coming from.

However, this one won't accidently shock the kids, the cat, or the wife.

Not one to be a fan of live mains being exposed, this seemed to be a good solution.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it just be easier and less expensive to get a working OEM power supply from ebay? They sell for around $20-$40, and you could sell your broken power supply for around $10-$20 on ebay. A lot of Colecovision power supplies died over the last 30 years, but a lot of them are still working fine. And If the seller says the item is working, and it doesn't work when you get it, you file a claim with ebay and they force the seller to give you a full refund.

Point well taken, however OEM Coleco supplies are pretty darn old at this point in time.

Also, the darn Coleco brick doesn't fit well on a power strip, and there is no fixture for attaching it to a wall.

The few OEM that I have are / or just just about dead, due to cable fatigue and old leaky capacitors. One has a failing -voltage regulator circuit.

And they look horrible after opening them up for repair.

Honestly, just trying to figure out what people would like. This specific supply could handle an ADAM and a CV at the same time. It's well built.

I've put together all sorts of supplies, linear, biploar, switching, torrodial low RF. Most of the supplies I've made are for music applications, so they end up being pretty clean on the output side.

I'm going to install a couple appropriately rated din(x) sockets into the enclosure this weekend and make up a pair of strain-relief pigtails for a CV and an ADAM.

Stay tuned.

Understand completely about the CV Power Transformer and glad to see more people like yourself are looking into alternative solutions. As far as the dilemna of plugging the CV Power Supply into a power strip or even the wall outlet, you could always use one of those 1' long Power Transformer Extension Cables that cost about $1.50.

While it's only for use with the CV (in fact, all versions of the CV sold worldwide), this Modern Power Transformer that is being sold on eBay is a nice option. Again, unlike what you are discussing about power multiple systems, this one only supports the CV:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2515948701181?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=251594870118&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The external supply is also a world supply, in that it will work with an input voltage of 100-240vac single phase.

Simply switch the nema input cable.

Additionally I have sourced an internal pcb power supply, AND this one has the old style COLECO DC input socket.

Unfortunately it requires a case modification, but here is what I came up with to accomidate the needed real estate.

I'm adding two DB9-M sockets to the front of the upper case half to accomidate the joysticks. This will be located near the power switch.

Yes, those are legos, however this could just as easily be made out of HDPE or ABS.

(I have a CNC machine to make slip in covers if these proove to be popular)

I can offer an purchase-exchange program for the case modifications, as I have a stockpile of ready for this modification.

I also provide chip socketing services, and VDP / DRAM / buffer replacements.

This specific pcb assembly provides the correct current levels and output voltages for the Colecovision.

coleco mod2

Edited by iscout62
  • Like 1

The external supply is also a world supply, in that it will work with an input voltage of 100-240vac single phase.

Simply switch the nema input cable.

Additionally I have sourced an internal pcb power supply, AND this one has the old style COLECO DC input socket.

Unfortunately it requires a case modification, but here is what I came up with to accomidate the needed real estate.

I'm adding two DB9-M sockets to the front of the upper case half to accomidate the joysticks. This will be located near the power switch.

Yes, those are legos, however this could just as easily be made out of HDPE or ABS.

(I have a CNC machine to make slip in covers if these proove to be popular)

I can offer an purchase-exchange program for the case modifications, as I have a stockpile of ready for this modification.

I also provide chip socketing services, and VDP / DRAM / buffer replacements.

This specific pcb assembly provides the correct current levels and output voltages for the Colecovision.

Lego and ColecoVision. Fun. When worlds collide.

Lego and ColecoVision. Fun. When worlds collide.

LEGOs and ColecoVision, that's next on my project agenda. As proof of concept, here's the ADAM version I made as the prize for this year's Mighty Mitchell Award at ADAMcon XXVI in Cleveland, Ohio:

IMG_2694_thumb.jpgIMG_2702_thumb.jpgIMG_2703_thumb.jpg

IMG_2693_thumb.jpgIMG_2711_thumb.jpg

The Cabbage Patch Kid is playing my hacked version of Time Pilot in the gold cartridge from last year's MMA. It's fully-functional, everything plugs together, all the cables are removable. I haven't had time to write out the instructions yet, or post higher-res pictures (and I have lots more). You can learn about this year's contest here. The NFL Browns wristwatch is to signify that we were in Cleveland.

*Dr. D.*

Edited by Dr. D.
  • Like 1

I do like alternate power supply to power a Colecovision reliably. My Coleco PSU still works. As long as the cable doesn't get touched or walked on by a cat, the VRAM is safe. I worked out the gimmick once the Colecovision loses it -5 line, I was able to adjust the plug until the scrambled graphic look right. Once the game reload the graphics to VRAM, it should look right.

new product.

for the economy crowd, i have slapped together a transformer based bipolar supply.

the 12v modulator is powered by a buck stepper from the positive 5v rail.

this can be easily installed in one of the radio shack project cases.

-cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any other sources or replacement power supplies available? I'm just pricing the OEM on ebay now and while they go for around $20, which is reasonable, in Canada I end up having to pay another $20+ shipping.

You'd think there'd be a Chinese replacement out there that you could just swap in. How about the universal power supplies they sell at radio shack and places like that?

20 plus years ago, Radio Shack sold a replacement supply.

there is a German vendor on ebay has a coleco power supply for sale.

The rub with the coleco supply is -5v needed for the stock 4116 dram, and roller interface.

I have a small stock of open frame trivoltage switching units on hand if you want to swapover your cables and do a bit of soldering.

Is there any other sources or replacement power supplies available? I'm just pricing the OEM on ebay now and while they go for around $20, which is reasonable, in Canada I end up having to pay another $20+ shipping.

You'd think there'd be a Chinese replacement out there that you could just swap in. How about the universal power supplies they sell at radio shack and places like that?

Actually you would be better off finding a canadian colecovision power supply in Canada since those never seem to break.

• 3 months later...