IGNORED

Where's the TI-99/4A podcast?

S1500

I've only seen 3 podcast episodes dedicated to TI topics. I know, since I did 2 of them.

But why no dedicated podcast for all the TI-99/4A news and such? To give you a frame of reference, there's now 2 Atari 8-bit podcasts. TWO.

There's even a miniseries for the Channel F game console. The Channel F, kids.

There should be one. And a fun one. Not having a microphone recording the goings on of a user group meeting. No, we need to aim higher.

I got my wish for a ColecoVision podcast. Yes, I know I'm taking a page out of the homebrew gaming beg manual (ie ask for, but make someone else do all the work), but darnit, we need one.

Why did you stop your postcast? Why not re-start it?

I didn't stop. I did just individual episodes about/around the TI: one was about the TI in general, and another episode dedicated to Tunnels of Doom. The other 'cast episode dedicated was an episode of Retrobits.

There should be one. And a fun one. Not having a microphone recording the goings on of a user group meeting. No, we need to aim higher.

I got my wish for a ColecoVision podcast. Yes, I know I'm taking a page out of the homebrew gaming beg manual (ie ask for, but make someone else do all the work), but darnit, we need one.

I agree, it's time for the TI-99/4 stuff to be taken to the next level. You should definitely attempt a podcast and see where it goes. I'd also like to see a proper history book, a la what I did with Boisy Pitre for the CoCo. It's the last major platform I can think of lacking such a book that's not already spoken for. I'd do it, but don't necessarily have the time (or interest) in tracking down all of the former TI movers and shakers still around myself.

• Like 2

It seems to me that some kind of video series on YouTube would be more interesting than a podcast for classic computers and video games, given the visuals at hand. I'm not the biggest fan of podcasts though, by and large, as a lot of the ones I've heard seem to come off as rambly and unprofessional. I'd rather see a short, well-edited, thoughtful 'show' put together with screenshots, interviews, and photos than listen to someone gassing for an hour.

• Like 3

It seems to me that some kind of video series on YouTube would be more interesting than a podcast for classic computers and video games, given the visuals at hand. I'm not the biggest fan of podcasts though, by and large, as a lot of the ones I've heard seem to come off as rambly and unprofessional. I'd rather see a short, well-edited, thoughtful 'show' put together with screenshots, interviews, and photos than listen to someone gassing for an hour.

I do have a channel with tons of Videos on TI99/4A

https://www.youtube.com/user/CarbonicHolyPally?feature=mhee

I'd like to do something like this, but a few things are stopping me, first and foremost being lack of free time. Then the fact that I don't have any real TI equipment any more and don't really have the space for any even if I decided to go the "real metal" route doesn't help. And even though the TI was my first computer, I really only had it for about three years before moving on to an Apple ][, then an Amiga, and finally a PC as my "main" computers. Due to that, there is a LOT of history I'm sure I missed and am a definitely still getting accustomed to the lingo and acronyms associated with it. I've been trying to visit this site every day to at least get keep up with what's happening, to relearn what I've forgotten, and to continue learning more about the TI.

I think Keith's idea is a good one and Rich has already got a good start. It would be cool to have a video presentation somewhat like The Angry Video Game Nerd, although not necessarily as comedic as that is. Certainly would be a nice addition for us all.

• Like 1

Yeah but you can't watch YouTube videos while driving or working. They frown on that.

Podcast potential titles:

OLD CS1

Press Podcast Play and Press Enter

PHM9900 - The TI-99/4A podcast

Cosby's Kids

MicroPodium

Segments
Game of the Month - focus on a game, whether it's good or bad

This month in MicroPendium - talk about an article from Micropendium

Developer interviews - past or present

The Omega Factor - ----(omega) --- can talk about anything he wants, including what's wrong with America. His fans will be called Omegans

Hardware Corner - we talk about hardware

eBay listings - See what prices are fluctuating for hw & sw

Tursi's Den - Tursi can talk about programming, hw, etc

High Score club - high scores, nuff said

Listener Feedback

Segments not to have

Learn Assembly! - a 38-part series on how to learn TMS9900 Assembly. Hosted by Buzz KIllington.

CGE promo

Ti-99/4A music - I have a bunch of files of various songs made by the TI. It wasn't pretty.

For the opening theme, you can use the "Pirate Adventure" song which has the cassette program data sounds in the background.

• Like 1

Yeah but you can't watch YouTube videos while driving or working. They frown on that.

True, but a GooTube video which does not absolutely need the visuals would work well. It amazes me on one hand how many "videos" are nothing but audio with still pictures, slide-shows, or just static text of the title. But then again, most people uploading are not the professional production types, let alone really amateur production types. For that matter, just look at how many people use YouTube as a jukebox (there was an article about this recently, showing that many people use YouTube to listen to music rather than appropriate streaming services, which I suggest led to Google's attempt to impose contracts on "indy" artists.)

Podcast potential titles:

OLD CS1

I support this.

I suppose if I had more technical skill and knowledge of the platform, I would be willing to take on the eponymous "podcast," myself :) I find myself, frankly, standing in the shadow of giants and often intimidated*. But, then again, a good "podcast" from the perspective of a technology professional might not be so bad. Especially considering I could then chronicle (and encourage) my foray into doing more in-depth with the system. If I were to run it as I do when introducing things to my customers, broken down to make the technology both interesting and relevant.

* Of my own doing, of course. I know of not a single wizard here who wields his or her skills abusively or in malice. I think it is really more of a "phuq, that's where I'd like to be and what I'd like to be doing," but the reality of the multitude of my unrelated activities pushes me into a kind-of melancholy, perhaps with a tinge of envy. I will have to bring that up to my therapist during our next session ;)

"Good" being subjective.

A podcast or Vlog for the TI 99 would be great. I'm a fresh face to the scene so I couldn't possibly do it that and my voice doesn't translate well in recordings (sound like a 9 year old boy). Maybe some fun videos or game reviews can be done about the TI.

For the sheer convenience I'd prefer an online magazine in .pdf format with in-bedded links. I could read an online magazine at my leisure and follow the links for in-depth information if I choose, or I could print it out and have my own modern "TI-Magazine".

The You Tube video thing is nice as well, for example: << VECTREX ROLI VIDEOS >>. Roland has done a number of good quality videos for the TI and I always look forward to them.

There are also 'blogs', but those never seem to get much traffic (or at least feedback) so without an verified audience, fewer entries get posted and many fade away. Now I *might* listen online, but I'm sure not going to go through all the steps to download one into my phone or MP3 player in the car when I can get my 'daily dose' of TI here.

While I am obviously also not a fan of the format, it's different strokes for different folks. If someone picked up the ball and ran with it, they might have some fun, however the man said it best...

... I'd rather see a short, well-edited, thoughtful 'show' put together with screenshots, interviews, and photos than listen to someone gassing for an hour.

There are also 'blogs', but those never seem to get much traffic (or at least feedback) so without an verified audience, fewer entries get posted and many fade away. Now I *might* listen online, but I'm sure not going to go through all the steps to download one into my phone or MP3 player in the car when I can get my 'daily dose' of TI here.

I don't know what steps you're referring to, but any decent podcatcher app automatically downloads new podcast episodes as they become available. The only extra step after setting it up for the first time is pressing play.

For the sheer convenience I'd prefer an online magazine in .pdf format with in-bedded links. I could read an online magazine at my leisure and follow the links for in-depth information if I choose, or I could print it out and have my own modern "TI-Magazine".

The You Tube video thing is nice as well, for example: << VECTREX ROLI VIDEOS >>. Roland has done a number of good quality videos for the TI and I always look forward to them.

While I am obviously also not a fan of the format, it's different strokes for different folks. If someone picked up the ball and ran with it, they might have some fun, however the man said it best...

I never heard of this "vectrex roli" guy, I just watched his Ti-99 video and found it enjoyable. His accent puts a smile on my face, makes me feel like arnold schwarzenegger is tell me about his Ti-99. :)

I enjoy Roli's videos too, although he reminds me more of the legendary voice-actor Paul Frees combining his higher pitched Inspector Fenwick voice with the accent of Burgermeister Meisterburger. Talk about your obscure references...

• Like 1

Yes, Roli should be also on the mythical podcast.

I just thought of something. You could add cassette data in each episode, thus being the only podcast that distributes software within the episode. It's like a disk/magazine combo for a new era. Sure, it would irritate the listeners.....

Ferg could even do that with Atari 2600 supercharger games!

Edited by S1500

Yes, Roli should be also on the mythical podcast.

I just thought of something. You could add cassette data in each episode, thus being the only podcast that distributes software within the episode. It's like a disk/magazine combo for a new era. Sure, it would irritate the listeners.....

Ferg could even do that with Atari 2600 supercharger games!

Its funny many people think that software over sound is old and dead but I have a "korg monotribe synthesizer" that came out about 2-3 years now. It updates its firmware that way. Just download the mp3 file, plug it into the headphone jack of your computer and it updates like we are still in the 80's.

• Like 1

Didn't the BBC used to broadcast cassette tones over the airwaves for people to record and load into their computers? I can't imagine what some poor old duffer thought when he turned his radio on and heard that. Probably thought the war was back on.

Obviously, anything we can get is good and whatever anyone actually steps up and does, I will be thankful for. I really enjoy the YouTube stuff I've seen so far. The user "NiceAndGames" does a lot of humorous game reviews, including a number of them for the TI 99/4A. He even reviewed the Pitfall! cartridge. I like his approach.

Obviously, anything we can get is good and whatever anyone actually steps up and does, I will be thankful for. I really enjoy the YouTube stuff I've seen so far. The user "NiceAndGames" does a lot of humorous game reviews, including a number of them for the TI 99/4A. He even reviewed the Pitfall! cartridge. I like his approach.

Nice! I'll be sub'n to his youtube channel he gave me a good chuckle. This was pretty funny http://youtu.be/253dy7wsrVc?list=UUuuXbkNIvy01YOHMGtkYIxg.

His voice reminds me a lot of the guy from lazy game reviews. https://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee

I don't know what steps you're referring to, but any decent podcatcher app automatically downloads new podcast episodes as they become available. The only extra step after setting it up for the first time is pressing play.

The RSS reader built into my phone does the same thing. I use it to download a couple of daily radio shows automagically.

Didn't the BBC used to broadcast cassette tones over the airwaves for people to record and load into their computers? I can't imagine what some poor old duffer thought when he turned his radio on and heard that. Probably thought the war was back on.

I think you are right. Computers on cassette was a bit more common in Europe(at least the UK). Heck, I have a '45 from a new wave band where the B side is not a song, but 3 computer programs(same program, 3 diff platforms).

• Like 1

So far I have 5 TI-99 related videos on my channel and what I can see from the statistics is that people seem not to care that much about the system at least on my channel.

Only my review of the MBX expansion seems to be slightly more interesting for my viewers.

But my channel is quite small so of course it does not say much about how much interest about the TI-99 is out there in general.

I will for sure show also some more TI-99 stuff in the future. ;-)

• Like 6

So far I have 5 TI-99 related videos on my channel and what I can see from the statistics is that people seem not to care that much about the system at least on my channel.

Only my review of the MBX expansion seems to be slightly more interesting for my viewers.

But my channel is quite small so of course it does not say much about how much interest about the TI-99 is out there in general.

I will for sure show also some more TI-99 stuff in the future. ;-)

I think you have plenty of fans here ;).

I sometimes question the youtube statistics, as it seems to only count complete views (i.e., from beginning to end).

I sometimes question the youtube statistics, as it seems to only count complete views (i.e., from beginning to end).

Thanks. Well I watched a lot of TI-99 game videos from the niceangames Youtube channel and I really enjoy those. He has about 4.600 subscribers now and his TI-99 videos only got 1.500 to 3.000 views in avarage so far and those videos are already 2 to 3 years old.

So even I really like my TI-99 not many people seem to care much about it. But I guess for us TI-99 fans that does not really matter... ;-)

At least my TI-99 videos don´t get as much hate as my Virtual Boy videos! :-)

• Like 2

Thanks. Well I watched a lot of TI-99 game videos from the niceangames Youtube channel and I really enjoy those. He has about 4.600 subscribers now and his TI-99 videos only got 1.500 to 3.000 views in avarage so far and those videos are already 2 to 3 years old.

So even I really like my TI-99 not many people seem to care much about it. But I guess for us TI-99 fans that does not really matter... ;-)

At least my TI-99 videos don´t get as much hate as my Virtual Boy videos! :-)