IGNORED

Troubles with the CompuMate

drozdevi

Hello AtariAge!

I have recently picked up a CompuMate (from Venezuela, of course), serial # BC 0100028381. Right now there is a bit of an issue with mine. Every time I switch it on, either I am stuck with a blank black screen or a mess of different coloured bars, accompanied with a buzz. The coloured bars and hum are different colours and pitch every time. It might just need a good cleaning, but if anyone else has any other tips, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Here are some photos of whats been happening

post-39800-0-32065000-1406169639_thumb.jpgpost-39800-0-97825800-1406169678_thumb.jpgpost-39800-0-11609700-1406169710_thumb.jpgpost-39800-0-02101900-1406169658_thumb.jpgpost-39800-0-73428100-1406169618_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sucks these don't work. Cool they came with keyboards. What software used them?

FTR, my Atari exhibits the same symptoms when I turn it on with no cart plugged in. Random color bars and/or noise/pitch.

Could it be a cart connection issue?

EDIT: Nevermind...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompuMate

Edited by stardust4ever

I just bought one of these, got it for $75 which seemed like a steal (I believe I sold my used one for $125 several years ago)

Looks like I now know the reason why I got it so cheap, lol. Im afraid to even try it. I would have just left it sealed but customs took a box cutter to it and sliced the top off like a pizza box...oh well.

Ill report back if mine works. Im currently playing atari games through a coleco, should probably hook up an actual atari to test it :)

Hmmmm...my auction actually states "tested and working"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261610864687?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

maybe mine will be ok afterall, I'll have to test it, just need an ac adapter for an atari jr...

The Atari Jr don't use a 9V positive tip headphone plug? Check out the 5-in1 Frankendapter I built with spare parts. Note how I spliced in a stereo headphone plug...

post-33189-0-47494000-1382588941.jpg

Even if you get it running, you're likely to end up with problems with the touch pad keyboard. I've had two Compumates from Venezuela: The first worked for a couple months before the touch pad went haywire; The second was messed up upon arrival. At this point, I wouldn't buy a Compumate from any source -- I think they're just too old to be reliable.

Somebody beat you to it

attachicon.gifadaptor front.jpg

It's also 100-120 and 200-240 compatible, though it's not auto sensing.

attachicon.gifadaptor back.jpg

Yes, but those "universal" adapters often are not regulated and read higher than rated on a multimeter. Also due to user error it is easy to fry a device if it is not set properly. My adapter is pretty foolproof. If the plug fits, it works. You could still fry a Jag with it though as those used positive barrel tips.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig this up... i am a sad owner of two dead units. One used to work and now only shows blank and i got another NIB hoping it would work but only shows artifacts... i had this crazy idea... since the rest of the hardware is common and only the chip seems to have gone bad, would it be possible to replace the faulty IC with a newly programmed one? There is a rom available.

I certainly dont mind testing it on my opened one.

Your move wizards...

Edited by Ethaniel

I got this from walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerLine-1300-mah-Universal-AC-Adapter-w-USB-Power-Port/16778839

There is a 600mah version also for 9 dollars and 36 cents. I have the one in the link 1300 man version.

I have a broken nes-002 ac adapter says for nes-001 only. Doesn't say 101 also like some did but works on both my toaster and top loader. The adapter it self is fine I checked thew internals. But the case is cracked. My super nintendo adapter same issue. Case is cracked but works and the internals are fine.

But not to risk long periods of play and I have others like a xavix that needed ac also. This is perfect. I like the tip has no polarity. Its with a switch on the side. So it doesn't matter what direction you put the plug. And the pins are is one thicker than the other so it only goes in one way.

Anyhow I set this to 9 volts and keep the polarity on negative. And it powers my toaster nes. Haven't tried the top loader. Don't know if they have voltage regulators or not. Or if mine are good for that matter. Or if ithe top loader is also negative tip. But works on my toaster. And also my xavix.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig this up... i am a sad owner of two dead units. One used to work and now only shows blank and i got another NIB hoping it would work but only shows artifacts... i had this crazy idea... since the rest of the hardware is common and only the chip seems to have gone bad, would it be possible to replace the faulty IC with a newly programmed one? There is a rom available.

I certainly dont mind testing it on my opened one.

Your move wizards...

Great news everyone!

I managed to pursuade a friend of mine to reprogram my eproms on the compumate!

IT'S ALIVE!

The only problem he encountered was that he didnt find a single 8k eprom to add an IC base, so he used the two 4K without a base.

So, although my unit now works again, I discovered a "new" fault.

Using it on my modded 2600 (AV and pause v1), only one diagonal row of keys work (7,U,J,M).

My 2600 works fine as I have tested both ports with controllers and my compumate keyboard works fine on UN-modded 2600 console.

Could any of you guide me to repair the issue?

Do i have to live with it?

• 3 years later...

I wish I had read this topic earlier :(

I also got an Compumate from ebay (seller from Venezuela) and it has the same problem. Probably a faulty ROM.

I contacted the seller to see how we can solve this problem. Let's see...

post-63708-0-99076600-1548184680_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dionoid

• 2 months later...

Great news everyone!

I managed to pursuade a friend of mine to reprogram my eproms on the compumate!

IT'S ALIVE!

The only problem he encountered was that he didnt find a single 8k eprom to add an IC base, so he used the two 4K without a base.

So, although my unit now works again, I discovered a "new" fault.

Using it on my modded 2600 (AV and pause v1), only one diagonal row of keys work (7,U,J,M).

My 2600 works fine as I have tested both ports with controllers and my compumate keyboard works fine on UN-modded 2600 console.

Could any of you guide me to repair the issue?

Do i have to live with it?

That great!

For those of us who are not electronically-savvy, can you provide a bit of a run down on what is needed to reprogram an eprom? I know you’ll need an eprom eraser and programmer. But would any external code be needed to program the eprom again. Or is it just a matter of writing some assembly code and uploading that to the chip?