IGNORED

AtGames Sega flashback ?

Draikar

Just bought this year's console at Toys R Us today. Was actually there for my toddler and I ended up picking up the AtGames Genesis! I turned the corner and there it was! Manufacturing date on the box said it was made July 2014, so I assume this is the current version. I started up Sonic and it appears the sound issues that others have talked about from past years are still there. But, overall, love having Eternal Champions and Chaken at my disposal now!

• Like 1

I think the cartridge port on the Flashback Genesis is awesome.

Yes, that's great they included it! I bet the Mega Everdrive works with it...

-edit-

No need for the Everdrive with this as there's a Firecore Passport SD solution!

So I finally hooked it up and first thing I noticed was the fact that they reversed the power supply plug! Tip is now negative, unlike the other recent Flashback systems.

Haven't tested too many games, but Eternal Champions has an annoying black line toward the bottom running through the first stage. Not sure if all the stages are like that.

System is not compatible with the original 6-button Genesis controllers! Need to hold the 'mode' button in while powering the system up, but of course, you lose the 6-button capability then. Bummer! Have to use the wireless controllers to play 6-button games I guess. :(

Oh and just discovered that the game Fish Story is basically a Shark! Shark! clone. Nice graphics on some of those 'other' games. Anyone know where those other games came from? Seeing some mid 2000's copyrights on 'em. Was there another game system that used the same or similar hardware that they ported over or what?

So far, really digging the tiny little system - flaws and all!

• Like 1

Just bought this year's console at Toys R Us today. Was actually there for my toddler and I ended up picking up the AtGames Genesis! I turned the corner and there it was! Manufacturing date on the box said it was made July 2014, so I assume this is the current version. I started up Sonic and it appears the sound issues that others have talked about from past years are still there. But, overall, love having Eternal Champions and Chaken at my disposal now!

i think the sound might be a little bit better than the previous Firecore emulations they've done, but perhaps I'm just hearing what I want to hear. The bass line in Sonic and the splash noises are pretty bad. :-(. Nonetheless, I'd still buy a portable that had this tech, especially if it allowed me to save progress in RPGs.

Oh boy. Some more of that overly simple, quickly programmed kiddie filler, but on a cartridge huh? Yikes. Going through all the trouble to produce cartridges and labels, rather see them licensing real Genesis game multi-packs. :)

​Is the pursuit of licensing games preventing them from properly marketing their Firecore SD cart?

Oh boy. Some more of that overly simple, quickly programmed kiddie filler, but on a cartridge huh? Yikes. Going through all the trouble to produce cartridges and labels, rather see them licensing real Genesis game multi-packs. :)

​Is the pursuit of licensing games preventing them from properly marketing their Firecore SD cart?

No idea. I'd love to try out the Firecore SD cart to see how well it works with the real thing. It's supposed to work well with the Classic Console, so I'd assume it's fairly seamless.

I think we need to look at this from a mass market standpoint. The average consumer might not know what an SD cart is, but they will know that they get 12 bonus games on one cartridge. It probably just comes down to simple marketing strategy.

That dino cartridge is probably just leftover stock, too; see the second paragraph in this post of mine from last year. It's been part of a "deluxe" package before. However, and I'm not sure why, the Amazon.com link no longer corresponds to the same SKU as it did at the time I wrote the post, now just being a double of the other cartridge-included SKU I mention in that paragraph.

onmode-ky

I kinda want one of those SD cartridge adapters. ATgames is closed for the week while taking inventory (they're probably dealing with a container ship full of Flashback consoles), and I don't see them anywhere else for sale. Does anyone know of a better source, or should I just buy from Atgames?

$30 is kind of hard to argue with, but I'd personally feel safer with an EverDrive. Of course, I have an EverDrive and don't have a Passport, so I can't really speak to the latter.

Are there reviews on their flashcarts anywhere?

Also, what price do the portable Genesis units with SD card slot retail for in the US?

And were the Gophers, the portables with actual cart slot also official atgames products? I am interested in some portable Genesis solution. The Gopher impressed me as it even played Pier Solar, which atgames systems usually can't, but they seem to be out of stock now.

Yowtch, the Everdrives seem expensive to me. Hmm, decisions, decisions

Well, you could argue that quality has its price, and Everdrive carts are the defacto standard when it comes to flashcarts these days. they also offer a multitude of features, like supporting SMS and 32X games, working as backup ROM for Sega-CD, and allowing the Sega-CD to boot with PAL, US or Japanese BIOS at your choice, enabling imports.

Edited by 108 Stars

$30 is kind of hard to argue with, but I'd personally feel safer with an EverDrive. Of course, I have an EverDrive and don't have a Passport, so I can't really speak to the latter.

Have you tried the EverDrive with the Sega Flashback yet? Wonder how well that works... and any chance the SMS games work too?

Have you tried the EverDrive with the Sega Flashback yet? Wonder how well that works... and any chance the SMS games work too?

I have not, but I see no reason why at least the Genesis side wouldn't work. I don't know if I'll have time to test that, though, anytime soon.

Are there reviews on their flashcarts anywhere?

Also, what price do the portable Genesis units with SD card slot retail for in the US?

And were the Gophers, the portables with actual cart slot also official atgames products? I am interested in some portable Genesis solution. The Gopher impressed me as it even played Pier Solar, which atgames systems usually can't, but they seem to be out of stock now.

Well, you could argue that quality has its price, and Everdrive carts are the defacto standard when it comes to flashcarts these days. they also offer a multitude of features, like supporting SMS and 32X games, working as backup ROM for Sega-CD, and allowing the Sega-CD to boot with PAL, US or Japanese BIOS at your choice, enabling imports.

There are a couple of reviews of their flash cart on the AtGames site. You can buy the portable Genesis from them (http://www.atgames.us/Sega-Genesis-Ultimate-Portable-Game-Player-GP2628-80.htm) or via a reseller on Amazon. I have an orange one from 2010, and the sound wasn't perfect. I think the blue one from 2012 is the same thing, except with a different color case and a different lineup of games.

You MIGHT want to wait though ... it sounds as if an updated version of the portable might be coming along soon. Then again, it could be yet another rehash of what we've seen before, just like the plug-in console.

Point taken regarding the Everdrive. I'm more interested in keeping things cheap, though. :-)

The Nvidia Shield and OUYA are also fine Genesis machines, if a bit more expensive than the "flashback" (actually, "Classic Game Console," for some reason)

• Like 1

You MIGHT want to wait though ... it sounds as if an updated version of the portable might be coming along soon. Then again, it could be yet another rehash of what we've seen before, just like the plug-in console.

Not until 2015, but the portable will definitely be worth the wait. I'm not aware of changes, if any, to the 2015 console version at this point.

• Like 1

Not until 2015, but the portable will definitely be worth the wait. I'm not aware of changes, if any, to the 2015 console version at this point.

Bill, you are SUCH a tease. I want it now, and if I can't have that, I want to know when it's coming, what features it will have, what it will cost, and most importantly, if the sound and music is right!

Oh who am I fooling. Even if I had a perfect SD-card reading, state-saving Genesis emulator in my hand for $40, then I'd just want the same thing for Super Nintendo.

Why are you so knowledgeable about it? I mean sure, you write about games, but I didn't think atgames would inform the press so early. :)

I'll probably wait a bit longer; maybe a European distributor will be found again, like Blaze, and if the unit doesn't improve enough for me I can probably get a bargain on the old model by then.

Why are you so knowledgeable about it? I mean sure, you write about games, but I didn't think atgames would inform the press so early. :)

I'll probably wait a bit longer; maybe a European distributor will be found again, like Blaze, and if the unit doesn't improve enough for me I can probably get a bargain on the old model by then.

I'm an independent contractor for AtGames. I've been consulting for them for a number of years now, though only since June under a formal contract.