IGNORED

File transfer from PC

blacka013

Hi,

hope someone can help. I have downloaded some Atari 8 bit software from the net, but it's not in .ATR format, it is a .com file. Can you tell me how I can transfer this to a 5 1/4" disk from a PC please.

Thanks in anticipation of the Help. :)

Hi,

hope someone can help. I have downloaded some Atari 8 bit software from the net, but it's not in .ATR format, it is a .com file. Can you tell me how I can transfer this to a 5 1/4" disk from a PC please.

Thanks in anticipation of the Help. :)

'makeatr' for PC. Load an .ATR and you can add a .COM file to the .ATR

Don't forget to 'close' or 'save' your work.

And you can't have the .ATR you're adding to open in APE or ASPEQT. ie. The .ATR must not be in use in another application when you use makeatr.

makeATR_v0.06.zip

Edited by russg

If you want to write directly to a 5.25" floppy, you are better off creating an ATR like the above suggestion and using an SIO2PC interface to talk to a real Atari with an Atari floppy drive in the SIO chain. Then you can just use standard DOS commands or disk copy utilities to make a real floppy.

An SIO2PC interface can be made very cheaply with an FTDI FT232RL breakout board and an SIO cable.

There is a MS-DOS utility that will natively read and write to Atari DOS 2.5 format ...

Can't remember the name but I think it is on here, along with some other solutions:

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-how-can-i-read-write-8-bit-atari-disks-on-an-ms-dos-pc_85.html

I believe you will need to get a 5.25" drive for your PC as well.

Personally, I'd spend about $100, get an SIO2SD, it's a really great tool for running your .ATR's on real hardware.

There is a MS-DOS utility that will natively read and write to Atari DOS 2.5 format ...

Can't remember the name but I think it is on here, along with some other solutions:

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-how-can-i-read-write-8-bit-atari-disks-on-an-ms-dos-pc_85.html

I believe you will need to get a 5.25" drive for your PC as well.

Personally, I'd spend about $100, get an SIO2SD, it's a really great tool for running your .ATR's on real hardware.

LIke he says, it is an MS-DOS application.

I believe the DOS 2.5 one is 'imageman.exe' for PC. It only works on DOS 2.5, maybe DOS 2 single density .ATR and it won't work in Windows, you have to use

DOSBOX on Windows PC to use it. It is therefore extremely limited.

imageman.zip

DOSBox0.74-win32-installer.zip

Edited by russg

Step 1. Install an emulator like atari800 or Altirra.

Step 2. Tell it to create a new disk. Input format parameters.

Step 3. Boot emulated atari, format disk.

Step 4. Use the Explore Disk functionality in either emulator to drag files onto disk. Both emulators support Atari DOS 2 and SpartaDOS formats.

-Thom

• Like 1