IGNORED

Parallel and Serial output via joystick?

Plastik

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/joytalk/joytalk.html

Got this on my to-do list. I actually remember this article from, i think, 99er. Had one company at the time selling a pre-made version.

Thanks this link has the full info I was looking for, most other links show the schematics but no legend to know what resistor is R1 or R2.

These are neat little devices. Just be aware most programs will be unable to use them since there is no DSR (device driver code) to manage the device at a low level. You'll be limited to whatever program(s) were written specifically to control the hardware...if any exist.

My idea was using the joytalk for a serial mouse, which need driver anyway, and terminal program that could be modified.

Also, not using the power off the video port (I think that looks tacky) but just using and external power supply.

My idea was using the joytalk for a serial mouse, which need driver anyway, and terminal program that could be modified.

Also, not using the power off the video port (I think that looks tacky) but just using and external power supply.

I don't think that is possible with Joytalk. If I read the circuit properly, and the first paragraph of the article, Joytalk is a serial output device only. There is no serial input capability nor is RS232 pin #2 is connected.

I you do create the joytalk let us know how it goes, I want to create one eventually too.

Will do, I'm sure with the help of the knowledgeable Ti enthusiast on here we can find a program that will allow printing and also allow it to be connected to a modem or serial to ethernet adaptor.

Have you seen this mouse on the Ti video? http://youtu.be/mhafwKxP5E8

I don't think that is possible with Joytalk. If I read the circuit properly, and the first paragraph of the article, Joytalk is a serial output device only. There is no serial input capability nor is RS232 pin #2 is connected.

hum, not good. may have to look at it closer.

Yep, I built and used Joytalk back in the day. It was a neat hack, but, I don't see how they got parallel (unless it used a serial to parallel converter), because at best there are only two output pins on the joystick port.

It's definitely output only, and IIRC the other output pin was used for control.

I found it in my archive:

attachicon.gifJOY TALK rs232 on joyport - 4.JPG attachicon.gifJOY TALK rs232 on joyport - 1.JPG attachicon.gifJOY TALK rs232 on joyport - 2.JPG attachicon.gifJOY TALK rs232 on joyport - 3.JPG

The manage program for this Item was in MiniMemory Assembly

Oh wow that is excellent! It's great you saved it! What is the 5 pin din used for? Is it another output instead of using the parallel?

• Like 1

Oh wow that is excellent! It's great you saved it! What is the 5 pin din used for? Is it another output instead of using the parallel?

There are 2 DINs. One plugs into the monitor port to get the 12VDC. The one you're asking about is where you now must plug in the monitor cord.

...lee

• Like 1

There are 2 DINs. One plugs into the monitor port to get the 12VDC. The one you're asking about is where you now must plug in the monitor cord.

...lee

oh I see, inventive way of getting 12V without opening the case.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

This is interesting - Looks like someone in Australia (Ross Mudie) back in 1989 had an additional hardware/software solution that used the Joytalk RS-232 (output only) printer interface

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/user%20groups/Sydney%20Australia/TIsHUG-1989-06.pdf(pg 7/8)

Ross also brought along a serial to parallel conversion for his very interesting Joy Talk printer interface. This piece of hardware, together with software written by Ross, can be used as an economical printer interface (requires Extended BASIC and 32K).