IGNORED

The TI-Pi

S1500

Nicely done indeed. For all practical purposes this is will become a full fledged TI with emulation on board.

Hmmm....

1. Take out the blue lights.

2. Put a cartridge port connector in so it works with real TI Cartridges.

3. Make it ONLY emulate a TI.

...then maybe you've got something.

Gazoo

Will this qualify as "real iron"? Or somewhat closer to it than a mere emulation?

I know some of you have more sympathy towards the real hardware, but eventually, in my view, this looks a bit like a body/soul discussion.

- If the emulation behaves in a way virtually indistinguishable from the real hardware, does it make sense to make a distinction?

- How much change or enhancement can be applied to the real hardware before it ceases to be TI computer?

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 3

Hmmm....

1. Take out the blue lights.

2. Put a cartridge port connector in so it works with real TI Cartridges.

3. Make it ONLY emulate a TI.

...then maybe you've got something.

Gazoo

I think that's too strict of a definition IMHO. I have to agree with mizapf here that in the end it is a philosophical question.

The clincher in my book is the fact that the emulation resides in a real TI case and they are using a real TI keyboard. These 2 items I think are essential to conveying the true feel of a machine. I'm not particularly wedded to the cartridge port myself. As for the blue lights, one could add them to a real TI and make it snazzy (I might actually do it :D ) without taking anything away from the machine.

Will this qualify as "real iron"? Or somewhat closer to it than a mere emulation?

I know some of you have more sympathy towards the real hardware, but eventually, in my view, this looks a bit like a body/soul discussion.

- If the emulation behaves in a way virtually indistinguishable from the real hardware, does it make sense to make a distinction?

- How much change or enhancement can be applied to the real hardware before it ceases to be TI computer?

Quite esoteric, nicely said.

What a horrible thing, destroy a nice TI99 working system to turn it into something that DOES NOT EVEN emulate a TI99, as they using RetroPie and it DOES NOT SUPPORT the TI99 system:

Supported systems/emulators

Version 1.9 of the RetroPie SD-card includes emulators for the following systems:

• Amiga (UAE4All)
  • Apple II (LinApple)
  • Apple Macintosh (Basilisk II)
  • Armstrad CPC (CPC4RPi)
  • Arcade (PiFBA, Mame4All-RPi)
  • Atari 800
  • Atari 2600 (RetroArch)
  • Atari ST/STE/TT/Falcon
  • C64 (VICE)
  • CaveStory (NXEngine)
  • Doom (RetroArch)
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Final Burn Alpha (RetroArch)
  • Game Boy Advance (gpSP)
  • Game Boy Color (RetroArch)
  • Game Gear (Osmose)
  • Intellivision (RetroArch)
  • MAME (RetroArch)
  • MAME (AdvMAME)
  • NeoGeo (GnGeo)
  • NeoGeo (Genesis-GX, RetroArch)
  • Sega Master System (Osmose)
  • Sega Megadrive/Genesis (DGEN, Picodrive)
  • Sega Mega-CD (Picodrive)
  • Sega 32X (Picodrive)
  • Nintendo Entertainment System (RetroArch)
  • N64 (Mupen64Plus-RPi)
  • PC Engine / Turbo Grafx 16 (RetroArch)
  • Playstation 1 (RetroArch)
  • ScummVM
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System (RetroArch, PiSNES, SNES-Rpi)
  • Sinclair ZX Spectrum (Fuse)
  • PC / x86 (rpix86)
  • Z Machine emulator (Frotz)

If you would like to have another emulator supported by RetroPie, feel free to post it!

So what was the point of all this hacking, all these other systems get a TI99 keyboard, but you can't play or run any TI99 stuff?

Crazy, nice video but sad to see a TI99 console hacked apart and turned into Frankenstein Monster..

They even destoried a Speech Box just to use it for SdCard slot, they could had used the cartridge port door for that instead!

Edited by Gary from OPA

They even destoried a Speech Box just to use it for SdCard slot, they could had used the cartridge port door for that instead!

Isn't that what the original intended feature of the speech module was? You open the door & put in expansion modules, not unlike the Speak & Spell.

What a horrible thing, destroy a nice TI99 working system to turn it into something that DOES NOT EVEN emulate a TI99, as they using RetroPie and it DOES NOT SUPPORT the TI99 system:

So what was the point of all this hacking, all these other systems get a TI99 keyboard, but you can't play or run any TI99 stuff?

You also see that none of the emulations are contributed by MESS (only MAME), so the reason may be that MESS has too high hardware requirements that the Raspi cannot deliver. Maybe another emulation like Classic99 (via wine) would have made it.

You also see that none of the emulations are contributed by MESS (only MAME), so the reason may be that MESS has too high hardware requirements that the Raspi cannot deliver. Maybe another emulation like Classic99 (via wine) would have made it.

no wine on a pi.. wine requires an intel proc.. probably could get dosbox working on it and run v9t9 or pc99 on it though.. on my list for things to do

no wine on a pi.. wine requires an intel proc.. probably could get dosbox working on it and run v9t9 or pc99 on it though.. on my list for things to do

Yeah, dosbox might be an answer to the problem, either that or you own boot-os designed from ground-up to run your emulator, the problem is there not much info on broadcom graphics chip, leaving you in dark in writing your own video driver.

I recently installed dosbox turbo on my android tablet which is 7" and has a nice small keyboard in the carrying case, and ave v9t9 running on it, very nice and smooth enough to run most things, so now I got a mobile TI99, all tho the battery drains in one hour from all heavy cpu usage to make it happen. I should post up how-to and youtube video for others with android tablets, there is one already out there similar using asus transformer machine i thnk, i remember watching it recently.

Edited by Gary from OPA

Yeah, dosbox might be an answer to the problem, either that or you own boot-os designed from ground-up to run your emulator, the problem is there not much info on broadcom graphics chip, leaving you in dark in writing your own video driver.

I recently installed dosbox turbo on my android tablet which is 7" and has a nice small keyboard in the carrying case, and ave v9t9 running on it, very nice and smooth enough to run most things, so now I got a mobile TI99, all tho the battery drains in one hour from all heavy cpu usage to make it happen. I should post up how-to and youtube video for others with android tablets, there is one already out there similar using asus transformer machine i thnk, i remember watching it recently.

I have successfully run v9t9 under Dosbox on my Nexus 7 android tablet and it works great, albeit a tad slower than normal. Coupled with a small external bluetooth keyboard, it's a great portable set up as you mentioned.

It does not even emulate a TI-99/4A? Okay, now that is phuqtarded. Seriously -- the short-comings of the TI keyboard alone versus other systems would be enough to ruin that experience. So you can use a USB keyboard with the Pi... big whoop... why even bother to put it in a TI. Much better to put it in a Commodore 64C clam shell, or a dead Atari 800XL (tons of those around,) etc. ad naseum.

• Like 1

Bah, I already did this with a full-featured PC, it ran Windows and emulation, and the TI keyboard was converted into a standard PS/2 keyboard (I got the giggles running the BIOS setup screens with FCTN E/S/D/X).

I unfortunately tried to bring it back online just a month ago and it seems the motherboard bit it somewhere in the last couple of moves... couldn't make it boot. :/

Still: http://harmlesslion.com/gtwo/v/Projects/ti99pc2/

It does not even emulate a TI-99/4A? Okay, now that is phuqtarded. Seriously -- the short-comings of the TI keyboard alone versus other systems would be enough to ruin that experience. So you can use a USB keyboard with the Pi... big whoop... why even bother to put it in a TI. Much better to put it in a Commodore 64C clam shell, or a dead Atari 800XL (tons of those around,) etc. ad naseum.

Yeah, I also thought the TI was emulated. Bummer...

I was thinking the same thing as OLD CS1 when it comes to the keyboard. And the fact that Retro Pie doesn't have a TI emulator made me wonder why they did this in the first place.

As for the distro itself, I see that there is an Amiga emulator for it, in addition to some later generation video game systems. From what I'm seeing online, the newer the system, the slower it runs, at least at this point. Trying to figure out why older computers would run slower than, say, a SNES. More parts to emulate?

I was thinking the same thing as OLD CS1 when it comes to the keyboard. And the fact that Retro Pie doesn't have a TI emulator made me wonder why they did this in the first place.

As for the distro itself, I see that there is an Amiga emulator for it, in addition to some later generation video game systems. From what I'm seeing online, the newer the system, the slower it runs, at least at this point. Trying to figure out why older computers would run slower than, say, a SNES. More parts to emulate?

More parts, more complex circuitry, far more complex chips. There is a lot of work involved.

More direct to Amiga emulation, I would rather go for a MiniMig than a Retro Pi. At least it is designed by an Amigoid and based on real hardware: it has a real 68000 on the board as well as an FPGA to emulate the custom chips.

The PI is just a linux box, so I don't see why you can't compile MESS on it, and run a 4A in MESS in full-screen mode. Ta da... Instant TI on modern hardware in an original case.

A year ago I started a discussion on the MESS forum

http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=90230&page=1

Maybe the situation got a bit better over time; haven't tried yet.

The PI is just a linux box, so I don't see why you can't compile MESS on it, and run a 4A in MESS in full-screen mode. Ta da... Instant TI on modern hardware in an original case.

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!"

The robocop reference put a smile on my face.Thank you :)