IGNORED

TG16 inbound, paranoia ensues!

Well, not really :D

Well, really the TG16 is inbound, but I have to laugh: either I got extremely lucky or, as I've had a tendency in the past to do, think something was GOIN' ON BEHIND THE SCENES! :D

I mean, I didn't think it was too much to ask ebay to get me a nice TG16. After a few issues over some other retrogear lately, I want to make sure I get stuff that's quite minty. And TG16 consoles just seem to be going up in price, at least the last 10 months or so I've been paying attention.

I've been getting sniped, so this time I said to myself, "Just bid your max, and let the chips fall where they may". There was a lot of action on this auction, so I was sure it would fetch a higher price, but that's ok...it was, according to the seller (who seem like nice people) that it was barely used, and in a closet for over two decades.

So I won the auction...two games, system with all original parts. I'll have to track down a multitap and few more controllers down the line (maybe a CD player?).

The auction finished, I was top gun, by, get this: 46 CENTS :D

I don't know if I'm crazy lucky or somebody knows how to probe for my max bid without going over. I'm not convinced there isn't something fishy going on, lol, although I have no way to prove it :D

So I'll say I'm lucky! And now I gotta track down a multicart, probably the Krikkz route (hopefully with all that's going on in Ukraine, he's still getting orders out).

Yep, it was 46 cents away from my max bid...which makes me wonder, but I don't care as I don't bid more than I think something is worth to me...no regrets at all, just wondering why somebody would creep up towards my total, dollar by dollar, only to then stop within 46 cents? That makes...NO CENTS :D

Really though, I could understand if the bidder was going up in round dollar amounts, but to creep up like that and then somehow just stop? I reeks of a scam...of course, I can't prove it. I'm sure someone could just overbid, then retract the bid...and I'd get that 'second chance' BS, and that's happened 3 times. Never do I go for it, unless they're willing to sell me the item at the price BEFORE the annoying bastards tick up the total, buck by buck, only to find out what the max is.

For these reasons, and others, ebay ain't perfect by a longshot.

But I have a nice TG16 on the way, sooooo...I'm happy. Now to come up with a nice list of must-plays...

• Like 2

They may have just put in the same max bid as you, but since you put it in 1st, theirs would not count. it would just increase it to the last amount possible by the other bidder and then give the highest bid to you (i think thats how it works). Was your max bid an even number like $100 or something?

Edited by mickcris

I bid in odd increments, with the main dollar amount the real bid plus a few cents, so that I don't lose by just a few cents. For example, if your max bid was $100, you might beat me by 46 cents if my max bid was $99.54 (max bid 99 + .54 odd cents). However, I would win if I had bid a max of $100 plus some odd cents.

Then I guess I did get lucky. In these cases, it's better that I live in Canada from a Canadian seller as well, as shipping was quite low but it's always worse for American bidders. I was hoping to snag it for around $100, but didn't happen :D

It should arrive this week, now to get a hold of a multicart!

By multicart I guess you mean a Everdrive flash-cart right? The TG16 Everdrive is amazing as you can play all the TG16 and PCengine HuCard games on either system, you simply select with a switch on the card whether you are using a TG16 OR PCengine then everything just loads and plays fine.

• Like 1

On the internet, TG does not stand for Turbo Grafx, it stands for Turbo Gouging! You'll see just how high auctions will go for TG-16 stuff. Unless you want to spend big time bucks, I wouldn't even bother with a CD. An Everdrive is a necessity though, there's so many Japanese HuCard games we never got and you won't need a region mod.

I was hoping to snag it for around $100, but didn't happen :D

Holy jeez, they're going for that much? Mine might just find itself on there next week... Clearly there are people out there who want one a helluva lot more than I do. Hard to believe a system that still needs expensive upgrades to have a second player, save a game, or display composite out goes for more than $30... (which is IIIRC what I payed 'back in the day')

Neo Geo's starting to look like a real bargain by comparison.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1