IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

Not to change subject. But where is Voltron? He had a part in this at beginning.

We're wondering, too. He has been getting various automatic updates via the project tracking board we've been using, but hasn't replied in a very long time.

So if anyone knows how to get in touch, or if he's lurking here, get in touch!

I take that back. The LTO Flash is a fantastic value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142088699258?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

currently $525 :-o

I feel so bad for that.... poor bas... nice gentlemen. I actually bid.... a lot on that... so the day after I got outbid, THIS great news comes out.... poor guy.

Edited by emubastard
  • Like 1

I actually didn't know about the change...although suspected when an orange shell was shown a few weeks back.

I must admit, at first I thought the orange was going to be a limited edition shell version. Cool that it's for all of them.

• Like 1

So, total noob question from someone who understands nothing about flashcarts except that they make me happy with a rom filled card... What exactly would be the difference(s) between the LTO and the (yet unreleased) Hive..?

I'm not sure if there's a point-by-point comparison worked up anywhere.

The most obvious difference is how you load the ROMs to the device.

For LTO Flash!, you use an application on your Windows or Mac computer to build a menu, plug the device into your computer with a USB cable, and put the ROMs onto your device. ROMs are stored in onboard flash memory. LTO Flash! also offers access to that port as a standard serial port on the PC side, as well as from the console directly.

There are a lot of other features described in the early posts on this thread, too.

For the Hive, it's said that you copy your ROMs onto an SD card and put the SD card into the slot on the Hive - no need for anything other than an SD card reader. Not sure what the file system formatting requirements for the SD card are, or the capacities supported. I believe it'll use the file system arrangement on your SD card as the menu arrangement. That approach is certainly a simplification over the Cuttle Cart 3. Although the CC3 was also SD-card-based, to arrange your menus you used a companion application to manage everything. Some found that app hard to use, so Soulbuster here wrote an alternative.

Maybe one day I'll add CC3 menu editor support to the UI for LTO Flash!, if enough people would want it.

• Like 2

Has price been discussed? I'm wondering how hard this will hit my pocketbook. :)

Someone else beat me to it, but I'll confirm: $119, no change from the original announcement.

It's happened.....it is just waiting to ship.

It's not waiting at this end. More like running around with hair on fire getting all the last bits in place. LOL.

So, total noob question from someone who understands nothing about flashcarts except that they make me happy with a rom filled card... What exactly would be the difference(s) between the LTO and the (yet unreleased) Hive..?

I don't know the Hive's final feature set. Based on what I do know, the main technical differences are:

• LTO Flash! has built in flash (32MB). Hive uses a microSD card.
  • LTO Flash! has a microUSB connection, and offers a USB serial connection to games. AFAIK, the Hive does not.
  • LTO Flash! supports games up to 1MB (512K words), with flash save areas up to 1MB. I don't know the Hive's size limits offhand.
  • LTO Flash! provides a number of hardware acceleration functions based on JLP (docs available soon). We'll know what the Hive supports when they release documentation.
  • LTO Flash! uses a custom GUI (Mac, Windows) to load games on the cart. My understanding is that the Hive browses a microSD card.
  • LTO Flash! has a built-in manual reader. I don't know what the Hive offers here.
  • LTO Flash! transparently fixes compatibility issues with Inty 2 and ECS. I don't know what the Hive offers here.
  • LTO Flash! comes in a shrink-wrapped gatefold box, with custom shell, full color manual, hologram serial number label. I don't know the Hive's delivery options. We'll know when it ships.
  • Both units are field upgradeable.

Ultimately, they're both flash carts. Until a 3rd party reviewer can sit down with both and give a true head-to-head comparison, I can really only talk with certainty about what *I* have built. We each made different tradeoffs, and there's little point in debating those now. :) Each will have its fans.

I built LTO Flash! to satisfy me. intvsteve and my various beta-testers can attest I've spent a lot of time tweaking things to get every last little detail right on the unit. Hopefully, folks enjoy the result as much as I do.

• Like 8

BTW, a shout out to intvsteve for all the hard work he's put in on polishing the GUI for LTO Flash! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: He's done a truly remarkable job, both on the GUI, and on beating up LTO Flash! itself. We'll post download links to his excellent GUI in the next few days.

I wanted to put the shout-out in a separate comment so it didn't get lost in a word soup. :)

• Like 7