IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

Every time someone asks, I push it out an extra month. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Have you considered alternatives, such as attacking anyone who dares ask about a release date? Or taking money in advance?

On the other hand, longer delays lead to having more support. Delay it til 2018 and you'll be the most popular guy in the Intellivision forum.

• Like 2

Every time someone asks, I push it out an extra month. ;) ;) ;) ;)

All kidding aside, I plan to spend my Christmas holiday working on finishing up the firmware. I'm not planning to travel, so that helps too.

HAHA! Man you decided to make this awesome cart, you only have yourself to blame for the attention you are recieveing right now! lol. I would hate to think you would use all of your christmas time up working on this cart for us lot. But then i think about playing the dreadnaught factor here in the UK and i go back to wondering the halls repeating - L... T.... O..... Soon We'll Know... L ....T...... O...... whilst doctors get my meds ready. lol

Thanks again for being so patient. Vippers.

• Like 1

[EDIT] And between starting and posting, intvnut posted. So there. :P

I won't speak for intvnut, only for my part.

The worst thing about predicting these things is when (not if) you're wrong, it creates trouble. I've got a big holiday trip coming in a few days, and doubt I'll get much done on the road. I'll take the requisite equipment with me, but the end of the year brings some nasty work deadlines in addition to the Big Family Trip.

If everything with real hardware works the way it does with the simulator, I'd hope to have the completed UI for Windows out a couple weeks after hardware's in hand. That's a monstrous thing to say, as it assumes firmware and my stuff all work well enough right out of the gate. Depending on how much I compromise on the Mac UI, it'd be at least a couple more weeks after that for that one. Sorry, Mac fans. At one point they were nearly on par...

Edited by intvsteve

Somewhere between 1 and 12 months is my guess.

And yeah, I'm in the anxiously awaiting camp myself. I'm starting to realize that I'm doing things in my games that work well with emulators, but might be horrendous on the real hardware. Specifically, how I handle controller input, but other things as well. So I'm dying to get my hands on a flash cart of any sort. I'm kinda stalled with a few ideas because I don't feel like having to re-write entire games based on faulty assumptions.

You could ask GroovyBee or 5-11under to mount a bare PCB with your game programmed in ROM and send it to you.

I know, not very elegant, but faster to test :)

• 2 weeks later...

Jean Luc Picard (no joke) ask Intvnut

maybe it's Jean Luc Project :)

The original pun-tastic thinking that lead to the name:

• It's a cart...
  • It's a PIC-based cart...
  • ...a PIC cart...
  • A Jean Luc PIC-cart!

And from that I stripped the pun and called it the Jean Luc Project.

The codename for LTO Flash! derives from the original pun. Its codename is Locutus.

• Like 2

I finally get it (I had to re-listen to some of the Intellivisionaries special segment also).

A release of this along with some IntyBASIC support is potentially huge for making new Independent and Homebrew titles!

Thanks for your work, can't wait to send you some money to buy.

The original pun-tastic thinking that lead to the name:

• It's a cart...
  • It's a PIC-based cart...
  • ...a PIC cart...
  • A Jean Luc PIC-cart!

And from that I stripped the pun and called it the Jean Luc Project.

The codename for LTO Flash! derives from the original pun. Its codename is Locutus.

Just a quick update from my side: I've spent the last week and a half practically non-stop on the firmware. It's been a little slower going than I had hoped, but I've made very solid progress. On the hardware side, we have the full filesystem and firmware upgrade APIs all up and running solid. I created some truly devious stress tests and found (and fixed) some very obscure corner conditions. I doubt anyone except a true fanatic would ever have hit it, but now no-one will. :-) (You literally would need to create and delete thousands of files in a specific pattern to have hit this.)

The firmware upgrade API works really cleanly. And, it will be well tested by the time I ship, as I'm actually using that API to test further builds of the firmware, rather than re-flashing the entire device.

I'm turning my attention now to finishing off the menu, followed by finishing off "Game Mode". Each of those has been tested separately, but they're incomplete. And, it's time to integrate all three.

On the GUI front, intvsteve's made some progress. I'll let him post an update on his side. It's good news. :D

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 7

Just a quick update from my side: I've spent the last week and a half practically non-stop on the firmware. It's been a little slower going than I had hoped, but I've made very solid progress. On the hardware side, we have the full filesystem and firmware upgrade APIs all up and running solid. I created some truly devious stress tests and found (and fixed) some very obscure corner conditions. I doubt anyone except a true fanatic would ever have hit it, but now no-one will. :-) (You literally would need to create and delete thousands of files in a specific pattern to have hit this.)

The firmware upgrade API works really cleanly. And, it will be well tested by the time I ship, as I'm actually using that API to test further builds of the firmware, rather than re-flashing the entire device.

I'm turning my attention now to finishing off the menu, followed by finishing off "Game Mode". Each of those has been tested separately, but they're incomplete. And, it's time to integrate all three.

On the GUI front, intvsteve's made some progress. I'll let him post an update on his side. It's good news. :D

Well... 20 minutes after returning home from a trip, I had to sign for a box.

post-35516-0-29625100-1420056356_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A more interesting screen shot. I'll be busy the next few hours not working on this :/ but there are still some rough edges to clean up. But it's moving along nicely! The device's unique ID may be fully populated by now -- I'm slowly digesting firmware updates in turn as it helps me uncover problems in LUI just in case things go awry in the field.

post-35516-0-47776800-1420072638_thumb.png

• Like 4

Meanwhile, at my end, I'm rocking a much more recent firmware. From my textual UI:

>>   Primary Revision: 1129   (primary)
>> Secondary Revision: 1133+  (secondary)
>>   Current Revision: 1133+  (secondary)

The "+" at the end indicates a version that has changes that aren't checked in yet. So, about 40 check-ins after what intvsteve's running above. I've been cranking away...

Primary vs. Secondary refers to the fact that LTO Flash! actually can store two copies of the firmware on the die. The primary is whatever shipped in the box. This won't change for a given LTO Flash! unit, unless you ship it back to me for re-flashing. The secondary is the field-upgrade image. You can erase the secondary at any time and it'll fall back to the primary. Also, if the secondary crashes (heaven forbid), it should fall back to the primary. None of us wants a bricked unit in the field. :-)

Oh, and the observant will notice the baud rate is a "paltry" 230400. This will increase before we ship. Target is 1Mbit/sec, over 4x that speed. For reference, the Intellicart serial topped out at 57600, and the CC3 topped out at 115200.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 6

If you're looking for beta testers I'm game. I do software QA for a living. What's one other platform? :)