IGNORED

What's the latest games you've played on your Wii U?

Ransom

Just thought I would say that the latest game I've played on my Wii-U lately was to play wipe the dust off the Wii-U gamepad and Wii-U pro controller....LOL. My PS4 is sadly starting to suffer the same fate...hell all of my modern consoles are as I've been more into playing older games on my older consoles last few months.

Mine just played the same game, and eventually was placed on the get ready for eBay shelf . My kids have been playing the original Wii more than the Wii U lately. I really have only wanted to keep it around for Earthbound. I think I might pick up a SNES classic and call it good. It’s sad, but it really doesn’t have more than a handful of original games that make it worth keeping.

• 1 month later...

I haven't noticed any difference, but I haven't done an A/B comparison. Might depend on the TV, though.

It's definitely a bit blurrier on my tv, it looks closer to one of those Wii to HDMI adaptors than the straight component. Still great though even if it does underscan a little at least i can correct that with the tv.

I just got a Wii U, so I haven't yet played a full game on it yet. I tried the Star Fox Zero demo and while it looked great, the motion controls to me seemed tacked on. It was quite the ordeal trying to fly while attempting to shoot things. I swore my control pad needed calibrating or something. The walker tutorial made give up.

I just picked up NintendoLand, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, but the latter are going to be for Christmas for the kids.

It's definitely a bit blurrier on my tv, it looks closer to one of those Wii to HDMI adaptors than the straight component. Still great though even if it does underscan a little at least i can correct that with the tv.

I believe there is some scaling that takes place with the Wii emulator on the Wii-U. I've noticed this as well and it is one of the reasons that I still have my Wii more or less connected up in the game center in addition to the Wii-U. Well, that and for playing Cube games through component output.

• 11 months later...

I finished The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD for the Wii U a couple of evenings ago. I played through this on the GameCube back when it was new and enjoyed it, but I think I liked it even more the second time around. It's a very good game and my favorite HD remaster yet.

My biggest complaint the first time around was that the threat of dying was basically non-existent since enemies do so little damage. That was fixed up very nicely with the optional Hero Mode that ups the damage done and removes heart drops. I also love that the Wind Waker instrument, which is often needed, is now conveniently mapped to the d-pad instead of being a regular inventory item. And while I didn't mind the Triforce shard quest or sailing back in 2003, the former has been heavily streamlined here and the optional Swiftsail really speeds up sailing.

That said, I do have some minor quibbles. The game locked up once, I wasn't a big fan of the new bloom lighting (I like the bright saturated look of the original), and sometimes I couldn't navigate my inventory with my Pro Controller until I switched to the map screen and back again with my shoulder buttons (User error probably, but not sure what I was doing wrong).

My one real complaint was that the chest opening animation wasn't able to be skipped. You open more chests in a full playthrough of Wind Waker than perhaps every Zelda game added together other than Breath of the Wild. It was really starting to get on my nerves by the end after recovering hundreds of chests from the ocean during the game.

Edited by Atariboy

9 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

Since you played after the end of the MiiVerse, you didn't get the messages in bottles from other online players.

I was kind of regretting that towards the end. Sounded like a neat little gimmick to be able to find bottles washed up on the beaches, which I obviously missed out on. 

I've owned this since I got it for free digitally when Mario Kart 8 came out (Later buying a disc copy when I saw it cheap), but I didn't sit down until this year and seriously give it a try. I played up to the Forsaken Fortress early in the game back in 2013/2014 or so, but I believe I had Miiverse services disabled.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've been having battery issues with my gamepad lately. I bought an after market one that crapped out after a half hour of play. I got a replacement for that and in my testing I got to play "Splatoon" for the first time. To borrow a phrase from it, the game was pretty fresh. I wanted to play more but my kids started lining up like the living room was an arcade.

Then the battery died.

I've got an official Nintendo charger coming in the mail, so hopefully that fixes the problem.

I've gotten the Wii U out in recent days and kept the gamepad charged between sessions.  I track my playtime in the tracking thread, so I know exactly what I've been playing:

Wii 

Boom Box Bash Party 60 

Cooking Mama World Kitchen 29 

Rhythm Heaven Fever 90 

Wii U 

Game & Wario 57 

Nintendo land 79 

Super Mario 3d World 365 

Wii Party U 179

We have a house guest (my niece) who is waiting out her quarantine period with us, so have been playing lots of coop style games.

The last game i TRIED to play was Yoshi’s Wooly World.  I hadn’t played my Wii U in a while & it was acting up.  Didn’t want to read discs at first.  Froze up before the title screen on NSMB.  Bayonetta 2 was the last game i had played & it was still showing up on the home screen as being in the Wii U even after ejecting it & powering off the Wii U.  I ended up doing a factory reset & it seems fine now though it still won’t play YWW even though the disc looks like new. 

I'm on Twilight Princess HD right now...I think I like the original GC version better, though it's still one of my least favorite Zelda games. Almost done, though!!!

Then I'll probably try out Crossbow Training before re-visiting Skyward Sword. I am hyped. I just need to figure out where my battery charger is...

On 10/10/2019 at 3:55 PM, Atariboy said:

My biggest complaint the first time around was that the threat of dying was basically non-existent since enemies do so little damage. That was fixed up very nicely with the optional Hero Mode that ups the damage done and removes heart drops.

Yeah, I thought WWHD was great, too. Loved the original, but the remake is even better.

Hero Mode does make the game a tiny bit more challenging, but I thought it was more frustrating than anything, since you have a limited amount of bottles, and have to keep traveling around to refill them. Just taking double damage, I think would've been enough.

I might try Skyward Sword in Hero Mode, since the game was (presumably) originally designed around the feature (rather than being tacked onto an old game), but I can't promise I'll finish the entire game that way.

Didn't bother with TP in Hero Mode, since it mirrors everything like the Wii game. I don't think my brain could handle it.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:24 AM, Gentlegamer said:

Since you played after the end of the MiiVerse, you didn't get the messages in bottles from other online players.

Yeah :( The MiiVerse was great, and in that game, it really helped a lot with the figure collecting.

Started Skyward Sword Hero Quest...it's just as good as I remember.

So smart that they finally added a "run" button...it was so silly having to roll everywhere in those other games.

Crossbow Training is pretty good too, but I'm definitely going to get frustrated trying to get some of those medals.

Started to play Shovel Knight this week. I bought this when it was new in 2016, and then life threw me a curveball and this game got shelved and forgotten. When I popped it in there was a huge update, and all of a sudden it was called Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove!

Ok, a free expansion, that's great! So far I've beaten 3 of the bosses, and a couple of side bosses like the guy in the hat store. This game is just fun, period. It's got classic level design and features, but not nearly as maddening in difficulty like an original NES game. 

I'm really happy about the free upgrade, did I mention that?