IGNORED

Intellivisionaries Episode 11 is now live!

http://intellivisionaries.com/episode-11-qbert/

A “deep dive” game review of Q*Bert, the arcade conversion. We also have another “Questions For Keith” session, with Keith Robinson of Intellivision Productions, discussing the upcoming Intellivision Flashback console from AT Games. Rick interviews listener & game reveiwer ‘TrekMD’ from Retro Video Gamer (UK forums). And we have several guest podcasters offering their opinions of Q*Bert, including Chris Bidwell from Now You’re Playing With Podcast, Ferg from The Atari 2600 Game By Game Podcast, William Culver from The ColecoVisions Podcast, and Dubstep Dad, Sweet and Aaron from Retro Obscura. We also reveal the winner of the “Mr_INTV” AtariAge Intellivision giveaway contest. And we introduce a new segment “Homebrew Highlight”, basically a mini-review of a modern day Intellivision game. Of course we have our usual news, listener feeback, mentions and strange drop-ins that Paul likes to do for some reason or another. Enjoy!

• Like 6

OUCH!

As I was listening to my interview with TrekMD, I realized that I repeatedly mentioned William Moeller when I meant Carl Mueller! Carl is the author of D2K which we were going on about. William runs Elektronite which distributed the game on cart.

My sincere apologies to both William and Carl for the screw-up! I'm not very good with keeping names in my head in general, but this was a bit embarrassing to listen to. :(

Doh!

Since I was running out of time to get the episode out, I didn't do much editing on your segment, Rick.. just a few things here and there while fast-playing through it. As a result, I wasn't really listening to the content. If I had been, I would have added some corrections. Looks like we'll be doing that in episode 12 now...

OUCH!

As I was listening to my interview with TrekMD, I realized that I repeatedly mentioned William Moeller when I meant Carl Mueller! Carl is the author of D2K which we were going on about. William runs Elektronite which distributed the game on cart.

My sincere apologies to both William and Carl for the screw-up! I'm not very good with keeping names in my head in general, but this was a bit embarrassing to listen to. :(

I'm not very good at keeping names straight either. I would have made the same mistake until someone corrected me.

Don't think I've seen both of their names posted at the same time before, so just hearing people say their names, I've assumed they were related. But nope, different last names by one letter. It's like David Bowe and David Bowie. ;)

Doh!

Since I was running out of time to get the episode out, I didn't do much editing on your segment, Rick.. just a few things here and there while fast-playing through it. As a result, I wasn't really listening to the content. If I had been, I would have added some corrections. Looks like we'll be doing that in episode 12 now...

Really good episode as always! Been enjoying the podcast and keep up the good word.

Thanks for having Keith on again. He's always fun to listen to. Thank God that man loves to talk. :lol:

No real surprises with the Intelivision Flashback game list -- Bill had already strongly hinted which games would be on there. The only real surprise was Reversi -- I wonder what the technical issue actually was? But I'm happy about the unreleased games.

Also great news that you found a easy fix for the controllers working on original systems! I'm part of the 99 percent market that Keith talked about in his interview (been playing Intelivision on Lives and Rocks only so buying a Flashback will be my first time using a 'real' controller) but it sounds like a perfect win-win for everyone now.

Also very good analysis of QBert. I had my doubts about you guys doing that, but it came out well, so I stand corrected, Sir. :)

Nice touch with the podcast clips from other people also talking about the game and other versions.

One small nitpick. You three didn't mention it, someone else did in one of the podcast clips, but IMHO the BEST home version of QBert (up until MAME) was the NES version. Yes, it came out in the late 80's, but the NES came out in Japan in 1983, so technicaly it's a pre crash system. ;) Konami (under their Ultra label) did a great job porting the game over, and the choice of two control preferences means you can pick how to move the guy around. Blows any of the pre-crash versions out of the water.

Looking forward to the Thin Ice coverage next month! It's a very fun game and the history on this one is fascinating.

Really good episode as always! Been enjoying the podcast and keep up the good word.

Thanks for having Keith on again. He's always fun to listen to. Thank God that man loves to talk. :lol:

No real surprises with the Intelivision Flashback game list -- Bill had already strongly hinted which games would be on there. The only real surprise was Reversi -- I wonder what the technical issue actually was? But I'm happy about the unreleased games.

Also great news that you found a easy fix for the controllers working on original systems! I'm part of the 99 percent market that Keith talked about in his interview (been playing Intelivision on Lives and Rocks only so buying a Flashback will be my first time using a 'real' controller) but it sounds like a perfect win-win for everyone now.

Also very good analysis of QBert. I had my doubts about you guys doing that, but it came out well, so I stand corrected, Sir. :)

Nice touch with the podcast clips from other people also talking about the game and other versions.

One small nitpick. You three didn't mention it, someone else did in one of the podcast clips, but IMHO the BEST home version of QBert (up until MAME) was the NES version. Yes, it came out in the late 80's, but the NES came out in Japan in 1983, so technicaly it's a pre crash system. ;) Konami (under their Ultra label) did a great job porting the game over, and the choice of two control preferences means you can pick how to move the guy around. Blows any of the pre-crash versions out of the water.

Looking forward to the Thin Ice coverage next month! It's a very fun game and the history on this one is fascinating.

Thanks, SoulBlazer.

I thought Will mentioned the NES version at some point. Hmm, maybe not. It's difficult to remember everything after so many late night editing and production sessions. In any case, I have never played the NES version, but have heard good things.

Glad you liked the additional guest segments. We wanted to do something a little different, since (A) we had no programmer interview, and (B) it was a review of an arcade game that was ported to SO MANY systems, reviewing it is a bit of a different challenge compared to reviewing an original Intellivision title.

And yeah, I was pretty stoked to get my hands on the Flashback controller and figure out how to get it working on the original Intellivision. I wish I could say more now, but...... soon enough I will be able to.

• Like 1

Are you going to review both the standard and 16k versions of Thin Ice?

You mean all 3 versions? Or is it 4? Duncan, Voochko, 8K, 16K... We'll get all the details, and review them all.

My understanding is the 16K version has the intro screen, and both the Voochko and Duncan versions, and the 8K version doesn't. But I'm sure Keith will be back to discuss the full story.

Keith Robinson has more personality than most podcasters do. Sarcasm, goofy voices, etc. Never a dull moment listening to him.

Agreed. He's a great guest. Did you hear the extended outtakes at the end of the episode yet? It's a lot of fun to play off his personality.

That said, was the implication of your post that I need to 'up' my personal sarcasm level?

[emoji6]

That said, was the implication of your post that I need to 'up' my personal sarcasm level?

[emoji6]

Not at all. I was just thinking of NPR & every podcast I listened to. As well as Peter Griffin who lists every hat he has with his podcast. Keith raises the bar.

Not at all. I was just thinking of NPR & every podcast I listened to. As well as Peter Griffin who lists every hat he has with his podcast. Keith raises the bar.

Haha, yeah.. my question was only half serious. That's not to say I won't add more sarcasm next episode. In fact, that would be a great label on the podcast graphic.. "Now with 7% more sarcasm, and 4% more random non sequiturs!"

Agreed. That Peter Griffin podcast segment is priceless!

You mean all 3 versions? Or is it 4? Duncan, Voochko, 8K, 16K... We'll get all the details, and review them all.

My understanding is the 16K version has the intro screen, and both the Voochko and Duncan versions, and the 8K version doesn't. But I'm sure Keith will be back to discuss the full story.

Over time, there were apparently 4 versions, in rough chronological order:

• The 12K Duncan's Thin Ice, with the Duncan introductory screen. It sounds like this version never left the lab, if it even existed as a complete, discrete version at all.
  • The 16K Voochko on Ice, also known as Voodun, as it hides the Duncan version behind an Easter egg keypress. This was scheduled to go into production. I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere. I've only seen it mentioned at the BSR's website.
  • The 16K Duncan's Thin Ice, also known as Dunvoo, as it hides the Voochko on Ice version behind an Easter egg keypress. This version I believe was on Intellivision Lives! The BSR website says that this version is the one "the programmers took home for themselves."
  • The 8K Thin Ice released by INTV that lacks both Duncan and Voochko.

In both Voodun and Dunvoo, you switch the title screen with an Easter egg keypress: Press ENTER on the left controller, CLEAR on the right controller, and then press reset. I imagine that the Voodun and Dunvoo versions only differ by a few bits that indicate which is the default mode vs. the Easter egg.