IGNORED

Games You've NEVER Beat

Over the past 30+ years I've played a lot of video games on many different systems, both console and computer. I was thinking about all of them and it occurred to me that I've not beaten near as many as I've played. Some due to the type where there is no beating but just endless levels, others losing interest, and others being just too hard which sucks all the fun out. I'm curious now what games have beaten the players and if theres any in common.

Please list the system, not that it matters, just out of interest, and the game, and any comments about it. And lets omit new gaming platforms, so say pre 1997 (Release Timeline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_video_game_console_releases_in_North_America).

My top 3 in no particular order:

1) Atari 8 bit: Insert title of any INFOCOM text adventure, except CUTTHROAT - I did beat that one.

2) Nintendo 64: Super Mario World. It gives me motion sickness 15 minutes in, so I've never given it the time needed.

3) Atari 2600: Pitfall. I've never been able to collect all the treasures before running out of time.

Edited by Ripdubski

• Starflight
  • Starflight 2
  • Sentinel Worlds
  • AD&D Curse of the Azure Bonds
  • AD&D Secret of the Silver Blades
  • AD&D Pools of Darkness
  • AD&D Death Knights of Krynn
  • AD&D Dark Queen of Krynn
  • AD&D Gateway to the Savage Frontier
  • Police Quest 1-4 ?
  • Space Quest 2, 6
  • Kings Quest 1-7
  • Ultima Underworld 1
  • Ultima Underworld 2
  • actually... I've never won a single Ultima game.

Bunch of others...

Oh yeah, for NES... Final Fantasy, and Dragon Warrior 2. I did beat Dragon Warrior 1 though. heh...

Edited by 82-T/A
  • Like 1

I've always wanted to go back to Starflight. It's on the list. Probably first on my list of never finished are SNES Zelda games and anything Megaman. Their time will come.

When you do get around to Starflight, play the Genesis version. It's much enhanced over the original PC one.

• Like 2

Some notable games I haven't finished.

I've never beaten a Ninja Gaiden game and I've been playing them off and on for years.

I don't think I've ever beaten a Mega Man game. I kind of remember beating the first one on the NES years ago, but I probably didn't. The final boss in Mega Man X is near impossible.

Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie and Golden Eye - I got tired of N64 games long before finishing them.

I also got bored of most Playstation games before completing them... Metal Gear Solid, Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, etc. And I do like the Playstation.

Zelda II: The Adventures of Link - I got stuck at the Thunderbird boss as a kid. I couldn't figure out how to damage it. Too bad Gamefaqs didn't exist then.

I don't remember ever beating Super Mario Bros. 3. Only recently did I finally manage to beat Yoshi's Island.

Contra III - The game just gets too hard starting at the third stage. I only ever beat the original Contra with the cheat code.

Double Dragon (NES) - The last level with the blocks that push out, etc. always killed me.

Some other posters mentioned "Starflight". The Genesis version was a childhood favorite. My best friend and I stayed up all night playing it, and we did beat it. We also played a lot of "Star Control".

• Like 1

There are too many to list for me but here are some games that I have played but never beaten and will try again someday (mostly RPG's):

1980's and computers:

Ultima VI

Ultima VIII

Bards Tale III

AD&D Dark Queen of Krynn

AD&D Gateway to the Savage Frontier

AD&D Treasures of the Savage Frontier

AD&D Eye of the Beholder series

Might & Magic VI

Descent II & III

NES\SNES:

Dragon Warrior III

Earthbound

Final Fantasy II

Flashback

Mega Man X

Genesis

Shining in the Darkness

Shining Force II

Playstation

Alundra

Breath of Fire IV

Chocobo's Dungeon 2

Chrono Cross

Discworld

Dragon Warrior VII

Wild Arms 2

Some of these games I sill have save files but I know as soon as I start it up I'll have no idea or memory of where I was at and what I was doing. lol

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing that comes to mind was The Detective Game on C64. So often I would boot that up to try and solve the mystery, but I would always get stuck. I had a couple of cousins who also loved it, and were stuck at the same point as me.

One day this guy down the street told us that you had to wait two hours and then you could find Bentley (the butler) chopped up in the fridge. Of course, that never happened.

It wasn't until years later that I found out that there's a clue in the manual that was for piracy protection. I've never gone back to it, but one day I will.

According to Electronic Gaming Monthly's 1991 issues, I am the greatest player in the world in Monster Lair for the Turbo Grafx CD-ROM, with the number 1 score. Guess what? I can't beat it.

Edited by White Knight

I always kind of felt bad never having finished an Infocom text adventure. Then I watched Get Lamp and realized how freaking big they really were... I don't feel bad anymore. Myabe when I retire.

I've got a save on the last level of CastleVania on CastleVania Chronicles on the PS1, but I've never beaten Drac. Tried a dozen or more times, just can't seem to get it.

I always kind of felt bad never having finished an Infocom text adventure. Then I watched Get Lamp and realized how freaking big they really were... I don't feel bad anymore. Myabe when I retire.

I've got a save on the last level of CastleVania on CastleVania Chronicles on the PS1, but I've never beaten Drac. Tried a dozen or more times, just can't seem to get it.

I loved text adventures back in the day on my C64, but I cannot think of one that I ever beat. I've got the Infocom collection on my iPhone that I play every now and again. I refuse to use any walkthroughs, and you know what, I still haven't beaten one of those damn things.

I loved text adventures back in the day on my C64, but I cannot think of one that I ever beat. I've got the Infocom collection on my iPhone that I play every now and again. I refuse to use any walkthroughs, and you know what, I still haven't beaten one of those damn things.

Them maybe it's time for a walkthrough. :)

I'm surprised some of you have never beaten nes Contra.. I mean come on there's a 30 lives per continue code, what more do you need?. :lol:

While I can say I've beaten some of the tougher games i.e. G&G series, Ninja Gaiden 1/2/3, Zelda 2, etcs2600 some of the ones that have eluded me are: Pitfall.. I could never get all the treasures, but seeing how the game simply stops when you do, I don't really have the motivation. I also never finished any text adventures..ok I take that back, I did use a walkthrough (which for text adventures is just a list of what to type in order :P ) to complete Planetfall and Zork 1.

Also, Actraiser 2.. way too hard. :(

I'm surprised some of you have never beaten nes Contra.. I mean come on there's a 30 lives per continue code, what more do you need?. :lol:

While I can say I've beaten some of the tougher games i.e. G&G series, Ninja Gaiden 1/2/3, Zelda 2, etcs2600 some of the ones that have eluded me are: Pitfall.. I could never get all the treasures, but seeing how the game simply stops when you do, I don't really have the motivation. I also never finished any text adventures..ok I take that back, I did use a walkthrough (which for text adventures is just a list of what to type in order :P ) to complete Planetfall and Zork 1.

Also, Actraiser 2.. way too hard. :(

With the code, "Contra" is easy. Without the code, I can make it to level 5 if I'm lucky.

"Actraiser 2" is ridiculous. I can't even beat a single stage. It could have been fun if the developers had spent as much time refining the controls and level design as they did the graphics and music. Was it even play tested? Disappointing sequel to a classic.

"Actraiser 2" is ridiculous. I can't even beat a single stage. It could have been fun if the developers had spent as much time refining the controls and level design as they did the graphics and music. Was it even play tested? Disappointing sequel to a classic.

That was a huge letdown...I remember playing it thinking this is way too hard and the controls are awful, and where's the town building??

With the code, "Contra" is easy. Without the code, I can make it to level 5 if I'm lucky.

Contra IS easy even without the 30 live code. Hell, I beat the game without dying in the 2nd Grade, haha. People that have trouble with it simply need to play it a few times back to back (not a few times over the course of 25 years).

Oh yeah good one! Final Fantasy VII... I was so hyped up for this title and then so disappointed with it. I really disliked the polygon graphics and wished they had stayed with overhead 2D sprites. And the loading on the PSX was annoying. Hence, gave up. Never played Final Fantasy again after being a fanboy of the series.