IGNORED

Trak-Ball name plate?

ledzep

Not sure how silly this question (hope) is, but is there a way to get a replacement name plate for the Trak-Ball? The aluminum (I'm assuming) strip below the ball with the embossed "Atari 5200" on it. The old parts list number is C020193, if that helps.

I'm also looking for retaining clips similar to the two clips that hold in the lower PCB (underneath the ball) to the bottom housing assembly (page 152 of the service manual PDF, Figure 7-7). Is there something like that available for project boxes?

• 1 month later...

That's nice! The whole controller is nice, actually. I wonder how hard it would be to emboss the left side of that trim piece...

Thanks. I should have put the brush grain along the length of the piece, but I didn't have to be so consistent doing it this way.

Not sure how hard it would be to emboss. There are a lot thinner metals available that wouldn't be too hard to emboss (if you're artistically inclined which I am not).

I wonder if you could get away with embossing a piece of heavy gauge foil or stainless foil tape, laying it in place then casting over it with epoxy? Not sure how you'd do the ends that wrap over...

You could go with a monochromatic theme and do that piece in black. I made a Vectrex controller out of an NES controller and did some raised lettering on it with cut-out letters then sprayed over it with a rubberized Plasti-Dip spray to make it look sorta embossed. (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/117809-homebrew-controllers-modernish-5200-and-vectrex-digital/?p=1545010). It's cosmetically a bit crude as I hacked the letters out with a dull-ish Exacto. It could be a lot cleaner. This was expected to be a prototype and it worked out well enough to just leave alone.

Edited by BigO

I know nothing of the 5200 controllers but I know metal. If someone knows the thickness I could see whats lying around the shop. Couldnt fabricate a reproduction or anything but if its at least .040 could do some cool custom engraved thing or somethimg? Just let me know ;)

Funny thing...I almost suggested that the OP contact you to see what you could come up with.

I think a fairly thick plate with some deep engraving would be a nice replacement. If I recall correctly, there was something a little bit funny about the bends where it wraps on the ends. Might be that I had to trim away a little bit of the metal.

If you want to try your hand at making a high quality upgrade, I have an inoperative unit around here somewhere that I could lose sight of for a while without losing sleep (or caring what happens to the aluminum strip.)

Edited by BigO