IGNORED

Atari 1200XL PAL conversion

pjbramley

Was considering purchasing a 1200xl to add to my collection, but know a pal version was not produced. Is there a way to view a 1200xl in Australia? Would it work through the monitor port or is there some easy to install hardware upgrade available?

Begin with one of these, if you're capable of some light soldering (the main crystal on the motherboard needs replacing, and possibly one jumper):

http://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=gtia-pal-adapter-8001200xl-2

Replace GTIA and Antic with their PAL counterparts and you're done. The video quality can be further improved, but that's another story (search "Clearpic 1200XL").

• Like 1

Hello guys

IIRC you also have to convert your 1200XL to "one ROM". The 1200XL seems to have a two ROM OS, which doesn't understand that it should talk PAL instead of NTSC. (OK, please somebody explain how this works, as I'm only repeating what somebody else said (and I didn't quite understand)).

Sincerely

Mathy

Main issues with a dedicated OS ROM or one that thinks it's on the other system (e.g. swapped Antic but not GTIA) are key repeat rate to slow if swapped NTSC to PAL, and Pokey counter values for cassette reading will be wrong (supposedly though, this isn't a big problem since there is some speed leeway allowed by Pokey serial input)

Changing NTSC to PAL means the key repeat becomes annoyingly slow but at least XL/later OS has the RAM based speed variables so it can be changed by program or the user.

• 2 weeks later...

i did this years a go piked on up in cambrige at boot fair new in box at time other was asking brad from best computers to try to get them one from states

any way i cut a bit out of an well dead 600xl this was the osc that i needed plus then change gtia and any other atari custome chip for ther later version from xl/xe

haked in the nice littel bit of pcb to right places and chged mod was firs pal one tah did not need multistandars tv but most moder set should be mulit standra now