IGNORED

Lotharek HxC Floppy Emulator --- (Support & Information)

Omega-TI

I'm starting this thread in hopes that it will generate some interest in the device, serve as a gathering place for those with questions and possibly even serve to promote TI-specific applications in the future.

:) Now, to start it all off.....

A question came to mind as soon as I saw this in a pdf file...

gallery_35324_1027_13777.jpg

... would a new routine need to be developed for the TI to accomplish this (like in extended BASIC) or is there a way already that I'm just ignorant of?

Can you IMAGINE the possibilities of a software switched drive from within a program? GAWD!

I have one of these and use it with the Amiga. Can't say I use it much at all though because of the clunky way you have to get images over to the SD card.

Open this program on your PeeCee or Mac (at least there is a Mac program for a change!) add the image, convert it to this other format, export it to the SD card, then you open this other program on the Amiga, load the converted disc image into an available "slot", save that configuration, press the button on the HxC device, listen for and count the number of beeps that signify which virtual drive the image you want to play with and hope you got it all right - else back to the drawing board.

Anybody want to buy/trade a Lotharek HxC installed in an Amiga 1010 drive case by any chance? :lol:

Hi !

i don't beleive you will need lot instructions for use it, maybe just for the cenversions of the dsk images...

there is program where you will be set the folder with all dsk you want confert in .hfe (the format of the disk image that HxC use) and after you can copy them in the SD Card...

i have inserted also 50 floppy disk SSSD and 50 DSSD for use as empty diskette images ;), so i can copy original floppy from real Floppy to Virtual one ;)

any way all you need will be found on the docs on the website:

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#download

and on the Forum for support :

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=82f6cda1661150b5732068e2abca25c0

• Like 1

Hmmmmm..... the first really negative thing I've ever heard about it ... and I just placed my order 1/2 hour ago!

Oh well, I'll have to live with any quirks now! :skull:

Actually though, it does not seem like that big of a deal, once they are converted.

The user aftyde has a couple of them on his TI and he loves them. While I have no clue yet how to do any of this stuff yet, (wish there was a TI-Specific 'Quick Start Guide'), he say's you can still use TI99Dir and DS2PC.

One paragraph from him sold me on the unit....

The Lotharek and HDX is a killer combination. Using DSK2PC by Fred Kaal it's super simple to download a diskette image directly onto the Lotharek drive. I keep a number of scratch disks on the lotharek (various densities and such) and when I have a TI diskette - I simply select a scratch diskette image on the Lotharek and download that image direct onto the "diskette" using DSK2PC. I also back up like that... When I want to back up my primary boot / tools disk I just run HDX1.DSK2PC.DSK2PC and send DSK1. up to the PC via. HDX from the Lotharek mounted virtual diskette file.

Now I really, really, dislike diskettes and with one 32GB SD card I should NEVER run out of room on the TI, so a little hassle at first I thing is a great trade off. Once everything is setup It'll act just like a normal drive. So this might be a rare instance (TI/HDX) where we actually beat out the Amiga in ease of use? ;)

Hi !

i have inserted also 50 floppy disk SSSD and 50 DSSD for use as empty diskette images ;), so i can copy original floppy from real Floppy to Virtual one ;)

Good idea, Arthur does the same thing, he calls them 'scratch disks'. I figure that way, when I get a new program, like when Rasmus releases a new 'Uber Game', I can just copy the files straight over to an existing virtual disk. Sounds easy enough!

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine for use with the TI. Just spoiled by other devices available for the Amiga such as the ACA500, that allow true drag and drop and virtual hard drives with no fussing about with conversions. Because of the clunkiness mentioned above, particularly regarding switching between multiple disk images, basically just use mine as a single disk image/drive to check out the ocassional demo or whatever.

I have one of these and use it with the Amiga. Can't say I use it much at all though because of the clunky way you have to get images over to the SD card.

Open this program on your PeeCee or Mac (at least there is a Mac program for a change!) add the image, convert it to this other format, export it to the SD card, then you open this other program on the Amiga, load the converted disc image into an available "slot", save that configuration, press the button on the HxC device, listen for and count the number of beeps that signify which virtual drive the image you want to play with and hope you got it all right - else back to the drawing board.

Anybody want to buy/trade a Lotharek HxC installed in an Amiga 1010 drive case by any chance? :lol:

Have you see the batch converter window into the software ?

Have you see the Linux & Amiga version of the software ?

Have you see the various shortcut available into the Amiga file selector ?

Have you see that there is HxC emulators with LCD screen ?

It seems that you just take the longest way possible here ;)

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001

THAT is one of the best things about the HxC IMHO. I simply could not remember where anything was on the Nano-PEB, with this little gadget all I'll have to do is press one little button until I see the name of the disk I want an 'viola', read to roll.

gallery_35324_1027_1077.jpg

I'd like to be ready to rock & roll when this thing comes, with a minimum of screwing around, so I'd like to ask a favor of a helpful owner of an HxC.

Could you post a picture of what settings you use to make a DSSD 80 track disk.

(I don't think this is it):

gallery_35324_1027_23417.jpg

I know I could probably just convert a disk formatted with DM2K, but I'd like to know the actual specs.

THANKS!

I've been playing around with the software that you use with this thing... F'ing cool!

gallery_35324_1027_95622.gif

It looks like this is going to be a lot easier than I thought.

gallery_35324_1027_106141.jpg

I already converted some disks, seemed real easy.

gallery_35324_1027_45506.jpgIt has some flashy stuff too.

Waiting is going to be a _itch! I wanna play NOW!

A "normal" TI DSDD disk (40 tracks) has 1440 sectors (=360k), so your example is missing half it's capacity. Try 18 sectors/track and your 80-track disk gets up to 2880 sectors.

I'd like to be ready to rock & roll when this thing comes, with a minimum of screwing around, so I'd like to ask a favor of a helpful owner of an HxC.

Could you post a picture of what settings you use to make a DSSD 80 track disk.

(I don't think this is it):

gallery_35324_1027_23417.jpg

I know I could probably just convert a disk formatted with DM2K, but I'd like to know the actual specs.

THANKS!

Edited by jens-eike

A "normal" TI DSDD disk (40 tracks) has 1440 sectors (=360k), so your example is missing half it's capacity. Try 18 sectors/track and your 80-track disk gets up to 2880 sectors.

That won't work with a TI disk controller, though. A Myarc controller with 80 track eprom or a HFDC would be necessary. Omega's example appears to be correct for a TI controller with 80 track eprom. The only setting which might be incorrect is Sector ID Start, which could be 0 instead of 1.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

The only setting which might be incorrect is Sector ID Start, which could be 0 instead of 1.

Thanks, I already made a copy/conversion for a master blank of an 80 track disk, but I'll play around with the setting after the thing arrives.

My original question was for a specific reason, somewhere down the line, I'd like to run a BBS using my backup system, entirely off of one SD card. The HxC apparently can be setup to function as drive 1 and drive 2 simultaneously, at least on the PC, I don't know yet if that's even possible on the TI. It also has the ability to switch images via a software command, as of yet I've found nothing about that ability with the TI either. However, if both of those abilities were accessible with the TI, a guy could probably make a fairly decent Retro-BBS.

Thanks, I already made a copy/conversion for a master blank of an 80 track disk, but I'll play around with the setting after the thing arrives.

My original question was for a specific reason, somewhere down the line, I'd like to run a BBS using my backup system, entirely off of one SD card. The HxC apparently can be setup to function as drive 1 and drive 2 simultaneously, at least on the PC, I don't know yet if that's even possible on the TI. It also has the ability to switch images via a software command, as of yet I've found nothing about that ability with the TI either. However, if both of those abilities were accessible with the TI, a guy could probably make a fairly decent Retro-BBS.

The 2 drives emulation is working for any machines supporting 2 drives or more.

Here is the technical details about the host control :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/SDCard_HxC_Floppy_Emulator_Direct_Access_mode.pdf

• Like 1

Have you see the batch converter window into the software ?

Have you see the Linux & Amiga version of the software ?

Have you see the various shortcut available into the Amiga file selector ?

It seems that you just take the longest way possible here ;)

1. Batch converter in the Mac software? Yes, I've seen it - but haven't buggered to use it yet. Reason why below.

2. Don't care about Linux as I do not keep a PC clone around to run it on (and am not interested in doing the dual-boot thing on my Macs), but you're saying there's an Amiga version of the software that allows me to convert the images if I want? And runs on an Amiga equipped with OS 3.1 and only a 68000 processor? Not using my A2000 right now with a SupraTurbo 28, just a Phoenix equipped A1000 and an ACA500.

3. "Shortcuts" in Amiga File Selector? Not sure what you mean here… unless you're talking about the software (Amiga side) that allows you to place disk images into the various virtual slots - up to 15 of them IIRC. Oh and I just remembered something… I cannot use the HxC to emulate 2 disk drives, regardless of dipswitch settings, twisted floppy cables, or anything. One of the reasons I purchased one of these is because I thought that was a great feature and one that makes natural sense since many/most games require more than 1 disk. Turns out you need to physically wire up some of Drive B's lines to the HxC device? Last I looked, this info (which caused me to waste an entire evening putzing around) was nowhere to be found - or scant as hell. Haha, I just now see that you replied to my A.org post from a bit ago. Thanks, so it sounds like the only way Disk A & B can be used simultaneously is if the HxC is configured internally as DF0:. Through jumpers on the Phoenix board, I can configure DF0: to be external. This should then allow me to use Disk A & B through the external port? I'll have to give that a try. Figured since I was using OS3.1 (any drive can be a boot drive), the Disk A & B feature would be enabled in the HxC, but guess the hardware limitation with the computer prohibits that?

4. Yes, I am aware of nicer HxC hardware with the LCD screens. The model I have though, is just the barebones HxC and you need to listen to the number of beeps to know which virtual disk you are selecting. Which is why I haven't bothered with the batch feature to convert a bunch of files over. In my case, much, much easier to just use the device as a single disk. OR wait for the Amiga to boot, use the Amiga File Selector software to select what I want to run, and then do a reboot.

One thing that caught my eye..

"The Direct Access mode can be used by host computer to access directly to the SD
Card sectors. All sectors of the SD Card can be read/write by the host computer. By this way
up to 32GB of data can be accessed through the floppy disk interface. This feature allows the
development of file images selector software or hard disk driver. "
Do any of you Uber TI Programmers think some sort of TSR routine is even possible on the TI? Would it take too much space or could the >6000 location be used to stick something like this? This is way above my knowledge level. But I have to admit, turning one of these into a functional SSHD would be cool.

I wonder if it would work as DSK3 in an external cabinet?

I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't. Any place a disk drive will work, this will.

Jump to 8:30 of the video below... you'll see Ciro's (ti99userclubs) famous P-Box. You can ask his how his setup is arranged.. it looks he's running two drives AND a Rev C device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALwr-WdYnx8

• Like 1

I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't. Any place a disk drive will work, this will.

Jump to 8:30 of the video below... you'll see Ciro's (ti99userclubs) famous P-Box. You can ask his how his setup is arranged.. it looks he's running two drives AND a Rev C device.

I wonder if it would work as DSK3 in an external cabinet?

Omega thank you for shared the video, i never seen before my PEB in the Video ;) ...

anyway yes, you are right, my HxC is working as DSK3 :D

• Like 1

... but because in our PEB will be in vertical position maybe you could have a style/text for the PEB ?

I could, but then again mine is setup as a tower-like system and that is why I'm making it this way. Now, after I get everything tweaked and adjusted for myself, I might consider it, IF someone would actually use it, but I'm not going to invest the time for if it's not going to be used. You see, I'm also getting just a tad bit of an attitude lately, I've had a couple of recent projects where I invested time, supplies, money, then upon receipt of the items, the requester changes their own terms or backs out entirely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...