IGNORED

AtariVox+ (AtariAge Edition)

mos6507

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed the price went up 5 bucks. Still worth it, but I wish more games supported the voice synth.

Now that I've built a few of these, they are very time consuming to build, test, and troubleshoot if they don't work initially. Plus, I've had some bad SpeakJet chips, and those are the most expensive component. It's really a bargain given the cost of components and time to build. More games are coming out that support the AtariVox+. For instance, there are two upcoming 7800 games that take advantage of AtariVox speech: Dungeon Stalker and T:ME Salvo. I will encourage homebrew authors to add AtariVox support (including speech) when appropriate.

..Al

• Like 2

I noticed the price went up 5 bucks. Still worth it, but I wish more games supported the voice synth.

Some games not mentioned or not on cart are:

A. Man Goes Down

B. 21Blue

C. Berzerk 2p

D. Palomino

E. Pitch n Catch

F. Spell N Speak

G. Swoops!

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

I am definitely looking to get one of these, but have a question for those that do use the Atarivox. I understand you have to plug in speakers into the Atarivox. Although I am sure there are dozens and dozens of speakers out there, what speakers do people use that they find are great in using with the Atarivox? Silly question I know, but am curious :)

Is it possible to internalise the AtariVox? As in, solder it inside the 2600 and do the mixing directly on the board.

Or would there be a conflict when both the AtariVox and a second controller are plugged in?

I'm sure you could, following the resistors used in the "box you can build to attach 2 sound inputs in, and one sound out."

I just got a cheap editor people used for 2 VHS feeds.

It can mix an AV modded Svideo or Composite, and the Atari Audio with the audo from the AtariVox+, you can also add or remove brightness and saturation.

I then send that to the TV or the Framemeister (the Framemeister sometimes doesn't like the strange signal of some 2600 games).

I believe this is up-to-date and complete including Brecher which is scheduled for release in December and NOX/Deathchase which is scheduled to be released September.

VecVox

• Brecher [2015]
  • Color Clash
  • Debris Revisited
  • Shifted
  • Spike's Circus
  • VecFahren
  • Vectoblox
  • V:Hockey
  • VecVox X-Mas

VecVoice

• B.E.T.H. (Boulder Escape Terror Hazard)
  • Deathchase [2015]
  • NOX [2015]
  • Pythagorean Theorem
  • Space Frenzy
  • Verzerk
  • Y.A.S.I. (Yet Another Space Invaders)

I'm sure you could, following the resistors used in the "box you can build to attach 2 sound inputs in, and one sound out."

I just got a cheap editor people used for 2 VHS feeds.

It can mix an AV modded Svideo or Composite, and the Atari Audio with the audo from the AtariVox+, you can also add or remove brightness and saturation.

I then send that to the TV or the Framemeister (the Framemeister sometimes doesn't like the strange signal of some 2600 games).

Oh yeah, the mixing itself is the easy part. I'm more concerned with the potential conflict with the second controller.

I am definitely looking to get one of these, but have a question for those that do use the Atarivox. I understand you have to plug in speakers into the Atarivox. Although I am sure there are dozens and dozens of speakers out there, what speakers do people use that they find are great in using with the Atarivox? Silly question I know, but am curious :)

I have a 2.5" full range satalite cube speaker (4 ohm) from an old defunct Cambridge soundworks sourround system I bought circa 2001. I took a 1/8 male to male headphone patch cord, chopped the end, and separated the wires. Twist the red/white wires together. Black or bare wire goes to the ground (-) terminal; white/red to the red (+) terminal on the back of the speaker.

Pretty sure the AtarVox is dual mono anyway so it doesn't hurt to combine the left/right channels. The amp inside is strong enough to drive a 4-ohm speaker distortion free with the volume cranked all the way up. I find this is a good listening level when mixed with the sound output from the CRT at nominal volume.

Edited by stardust4ever

I believe this is up-to-date and complete including Brecher which is scheduled for release in December and NOX/Deathchase which is scheduled to be released September.

Thanks for putting together this list, I just updated the AtariVox+ entry in the store. Would be great to have links to all of these games, at least for the ones that have relevant links. :)

..Al

• Like 1

Most games do not have their own page and are not available for download. Some like VecVox X-Mas and Pythagorean Theorem are no longer available from their developer even for download.

NOX and Deathchase will be available from http://www.binarystarsoftware.com/.

Spike's Circus is available from http://www.madtronix.com/en/order.htmlor http://www.vectrexworld.com/#!blog-new/c1ub1.

Space Frenzy, Verzerk (custom cart) and YASI are available from http://www.packratvg.com/vechbrews.html.

Color Clash, Debris Revisited, Shifted, V:Hockey and Vectoblox are all available from http://www.revival-studios.com/vectrex.php.

Brecher will be available from http://www.luchs-soft.de/releases.htmlas well as VecFahren only through email.

BETH is available only for download from http://pelikonepeijoonit.net/files/vec/coders.html.

I received my AtariVox+ in the mail today, and it's fantastic! I've had a lot of fun so far finding the different voice messages in Juno First and Man Goes Down, and typing silly things into Spell and Speak. Omicron makes great use of the module, too.

Question, though: what happened to vectrex.biz? Every page throws up a 403 Forbidden error, and the AtariVox documentation would be good to have on the (admittedly slim) chance that I ever try to program for it.

Okay, I managed to find driver code and docs from July 2005, which I guess corresponds to AtariVox_docs.zip in the manual. I also found a static allocation table from 2011 (last entry is Indenture). I did not find (or just not recognize) anything corresponding to AtariVox_utils.zip.

Has anything major been added to the driver in the past 10 years? What's been added to the static allocation area in the past 4?