Photo

Who has VGA-out on their console?

54 replies to this topic

#1 dphirschler OFFLINE  

dphirschler

Moonsweeper

• 441 posts

Posted Sat Aug 9, 2014 5:57 PM

Who here has done the F18A VGA-out mod?  I want to do the mod, but I'd like to hear from the others around here about it first.  Also, I'd like to know more about the extra parts needed to finish the mod.  Ribbon cables, VGA connector, mounting screws, other chips and stuff?  Does it come with instructions?  Where can I find the socket to put in place of the original chip, and how much is it?

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler, Sat Aug 9, 2014 6:05 PM.

#2 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,499 posts

Posted Sat Aug 9, 2014 6:40 PM

Who here has done the F18A VGA-out mod?  I want to do the mod, but I'd like to hear from the others around here about it first.  Also, I'd like to know more about the extra parts needed to finish the mod.  Ribbon cables, VGA connector, mounting screws, other chips and stuff?  Does it come with instructions?  Where can I find the socket to put in place of the original chip, and how much is it?

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I did the F18A mod and I LOVE IT!  It comes with almost everything needed to install it.  You'll have to have a couple of screwdrivers of your own and a set of tin snips will come in handy.  Also a Dremel tool is nice for making the hole on the back of the TI in a neat manner.

As you can see from this first image, it just slides into the same socket as the old video chip.  I would recommend having at least a SMALL flathead screw driver to gently pry the old chip up.

gallery_35324_1027_479564.jpg

This is what the back looks like (on mine) once I modified the plate that came with the unit and added two small nuts and bolts from the local hardware store. 

gallery_35324_1027_594872.jpg

This is the UNMODIFIED plate that comes with the F18A

gallery_35324_1027_603784.jpg

This is the plate AFTER I got done carving on it.

gallery_35324_1027_476709.jpg

It's actually an EASY project as it requires NO SOLDERING.  If you take your time, it'll take about 45 minutes from start to finish.  As you've already been to the site << HERE  >>, you know how much it costs.  In my opinion, it's one of the top three mods available for the TI.

IF YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE GO TO << THIS POST >>.

#3 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,483 posts

Posted Sat Aug 9, 2014 6:46 PM

;)

It's my Guide: >>Here<<

Edited by ti99userclub, Sat Aug 9, 2014 6:47 PM.

#4 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,499 posts

Posted Sat Aug 9, 2014 6:48 PM

Vectrex Roli made a nice video you might like to watch...

#5 jstimson OFFLINE  

jstimson

Star Raider

• 77 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:25 AM

I've also done the mod and love it as well.

HOWEVER: something to keep in mind is that you will need to still use the regular video cable and a set of amplified speakers if you want sound.  The VGA is video only, of course, so it will only send video out to your VGA monitor.

So, the F18-A with VGA cable to send video to your VGA monitor.

Regular TI cable with amplified speakers to get sound.

#6 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,499 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:46 AM

I've also done the mod and love it as well.

HOWEVER: something to keep in mind is that you will need to still use the regular video cable and a set of amplified speakers if you want sound.  The VGA is video only, of course, so it will only send video out to your VGA monitor.

So, the F18-A with VGA cable to send video to your VGA monitor.

Regular TI cable with amplified speakers to get sound.

True, he will still need get his audio via the old connector, but I'm curious, what kind of monitor are you running?  All the TV's and computer monitors in my house have an AUDIO IN, so no external amplified speakers are necessary, although they might sound better!  :)

#7 jstimson OFFLINE  

jstimson

Star Raider

• 77 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 AM

True, he will still need get his audio via the old connector, but I'm curious, what kind of monitor are you running?  All the TV's and computer monitors in my house have an AUDIO IN, so no external amplified speakers are necessary, although they might sound better!  :)

I'm using a cheap LCD monitor without speakers.  The picture is fantastic, but had to use external speakers.

#8 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,499 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:47 AM

The picture is fantastic, but had to use external speakers.

I bet your's sounds better too!  The speakers in mine leave much to be desired!  :)

#9 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,499 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:50 AM

What they said, the hardest part is making a spot in the back for the vga connector and mounting the bracket.. I didn't do as nice of a job as the pictures above :)   I bought three of these one in my console and plan on refurbing a couple more consoles and adding them.

Greg

#10 dphirschler OFFLINE  

dphirschler

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 441 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:22 AM

I was planning on running audio to a 1/8" mono audio connector.  And I was also planning on removing the original monitor connection.  Possibly put the audio-out connection there.  Maybe there is a way to solder an audio connector in that same spot.

Darryl

#11 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,499 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:40 AM

I was planning on running audio to a 1/8" mono audio connector.  And I was also planning on removing the original monitor connection.  Possibly put the audio-out connection there.  Maybe there is a way to solder an audio connector in that same spot.

Darryl

This is just my opinion, but I believe it might just be easier to leave the original monitor connector, since that is where the audio out is already located.  You could just hack the end off the old audio/video cable you were using and solder on the proper connector for your specific application or plug on an adapter.   Either way you'll still have two cords coming off the back, right?  

#12 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• 722 posts
  • Parsec 2600

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:44 AM

great mod. easy to install too.

#13 dphirschler OFFLINE  

dphirschler

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 441 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:44 PM

The audio out is a line level, so perhaps the 1/8" audio jack might be misleading as that usually indicates amplified audio.  hmm... perhaps a small audio amplifier can be installed too.  Headphones would be fun to use.  Ag, then I need a volume knob or wheel... maybe I should put an RCA there.

Darryl

#14 RXB ONLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,252 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:15 PM

I have two monitors the work fine a old Commodore 1084S and a original TI monitor.

#15 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,171 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:38 PM

I've done the mod a number of times on both the TI and ColecoVision, and I also love it. Well worth it! :)

#16 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,499 posts

Posted Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:23 PM

Who here has done the F18A VGA-out mod? 

If you look at the results of this earlier poll, you'll see the configurations of many A. A. users systems, including who has F18A's.  :)

#17 Imperious OFFLINE  

Imperious

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:38 AM

I have mostly given up attempting to convert one of my Ti's to do component video, maybe later.

Nothing I have tried there actually gives a signal that the component input of my Capture card can work with.

The Ti's implementation of Component video with a TMS9928a or 9929a is obviously a long way from what modern 

equipment can understand, hardly surprising considering the age of these video chips.

I capitulated and Ordered an F18a last Friday and am looking forward to what will be the best picture any of my retro computers has.

Next best is the s-video mod I did on my A500 Amiga.  Should be fantastic on my 24" Dell.

Thanks for the installation tips.

#18 gregallenwarner OFFLINE  

gregallenwarner

Chopper Commander

• 185 posts

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:03 AM

I guess I'm late to the party, but I also have two F18A mods. As it's already been stated, the hardest part of the whole operation is physically cutting your case to fit the connector. If you can operate either a Dremel or a hacksaw, you can install an F18A. Matthew's done a superb job at making the instructions super easy to follow, and the installation process as painless as possible. I absolutely love it.

I'm considering going back and adding a 1/8" audio jack, but that's entirely optional, and not related to the F18A mod iself. It simply so I don't have to rely on having that old DIN connector, so I can hook it up anywhere using standard cables.

#19 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Quadrunner

• 5,363 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 AM

I have mostly given up attempting to convert one of my Ti's to do component video, maybe later.

Nothing I have tried there actually gives a signal that the component input of my Capture card can work with.

The Ti's implementation of Component video with a TMS9928a or 9929a is obviously a long way from what modern 

equipment can understand, hardly surprising considering the age of these video chips.

I capitulated and Ordered an F18a last Friday and am looking forward to what will be the best picture any of my retro computers has.

Next best is the s-video mod I did on my A500 Amiga.  Should be fantastic on my 24" Dell.

Thanks for the installation tips.

Aw, man... S-Video for the A500 is good, but you should look at getting either a flicker-fixer/scan-doubler (there are a few to be found) or an Indivision ECS (out-of-stock at AmigaKit, but it looks like Vesalia has it.)

#20 RXB ONLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,252 posts

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 PM

Only had the TIM card in my TI before that TIM blew itself up.

Loved not only the 80 column mode but the 256 colors per pixel was killer.

It really was the difference between looking like a PC and a monochrome screen as 16 colors just looked so crappy in comparison.

#21 TI-Sissy OFFLINE  

TI-Sissy

Chopper Commander

• 149 posts

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:18 PM

i was going to get one, but the nano has problems with them.  i have a nano,

#22 Swim OFFLINE  

Swim

Chopper Commander

• 139 posts

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:11 AM

I have a 4a system with vga out that I use for going on the web and letter writing, it really helps my poor eyesight.

#23 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,499 posts

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:36 AM

I have a 4a system with vga out that I use for going on the web and letter writing, it really helps my poor eyesight.

When you say you get your TI 'on the web' do you actually mean you're just using Telnet to get to BBS's systems via the Internet, or are you actually surfing the web with some kind of unknown to me TI-based browser :?:

There is a guy working on a TI browser, but I've seen nothing from him about it recently.

#24 Swim OFFLINE  

Swim

Chopper Commander

• 139 posts

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 AM

This is something you can do if you have a "shell account" and use the terminal ZT4 on the 4a or a Geneve with the terminal PORT. The shell account is a Unix server which allows internet browsing without the graphics. Once you learn the navigation it's straight forward except for "java script" sites which can sometimes freeze the TI/Geneve.

#25 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,499 posts

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:09 AM

This is something you can do if you have a "shell account" and use the terminal ZT4 on the 4a or a Geneve with the terminal PORT. The shell account is a Unix server which allows internet browsing without the graphics. Once you learn the navigation it's straight forward except for "java script" sites which can sometimes freeze the TI/Geneve.

That sounds pretty cool, above my level of understanding at present though.  I'll file this for future reference though, after a get a few other things on my list accomplished, I may look into this myself.  THANKS!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users