IGNORED

Who has VGA-out on their console?

dphirschler

I had a ATI All in Wonder Video Card in my PC and using the monitor cable with RCA jacks (On TV input) and could put that display on my PC using the input filter on the ATI card.

Mulitple Monitors made it very cool and could work on PC waiting for my TI to finish assembly of programs I was writing.

Now that I use Emulators entirely most of the time assembly is much faster, but miss the huge fan sounds always coming from the TI Pbox and drives.

(also it heated the house well)

• 3 weeks later...

As I didn't like the idea of hacking into a perfectly good case, I thought I might try something a bit different. Figuring that I likely will never use the cassette port, I desoldered the connector and

spent a fair part of today to achieve this. The shield is still on the mobo, and I did have to file down the hex screws as otherwise the VGA plug wouldn't fit.

sov2ie.jpg

do2fxv.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments.

1 Day on and I am in Awe of the F18a, absolutely superb quality on my Dell Monitor. Haven't had any issues with the NanoPEB either.

I definitely do not think I'll use the cassette port, but have 2 other TI's if I ever felt the need.

It wasn't easy drilling those holes as there is only 2.5mm either side of the plastic ends of the cutout to the center of the screw hole.

I started with a 1.5mm, then 2mm, next 2.5mm and that was it. Fortunately TI made these out of far better quality plastic than Commodore used

on their machines.

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to finishing my F18A mod. Here is the final result.

post-39934-0-49286400-1463359576_thumb.jpg

post-39934-0-33921300-1463359601_thumb.jpg

I de-soldered the original AV connector on the TI mobo. Then I soldered in two fairly low profile pins for the audio. I made a little connector that fits on those pins.

post-39934-0-94041800-1463359595_thumb.jpg

post-39934-0-83081700-1463359598_thumb.jpg

Finally, a top-down shot to show how the connectors do not interfere with the monitor's base. I think the VGA and audio come out of the TI console at just the right location.

post-39934-0-17756600-1463359603_thumb.jpg

Darryl

• Like 6

many of us have done the F18A VGA mod and I think I can speak for every that we love it!

The hardest thing is figuring out how you want to pop the VGA connector out. Some have created a whole new hole for the vga connector, others have removed the cassette interface connector and put the vga connector there.

It's one of the best and easiest upgrades out. No soldering required!

Just plug it in and go..

can we say TI PLUG & PLAY ??

yup I agree. maybe i need to borrow Darryl's idea for the audio as well. I like that..

I don't know the audio piece of the motherboard very well. Where is is soldered to? I can see the connection.

Edited by Cschneider

yup I agree. maybe i need to borrow Darryl's idea for the audio as well. I like that..

I don't know the audio piece of the motherboard very well. Where is is soldered to? I can see the connection.

I have been giving his exact solution thought recently, but I was not settled on how I wanted it to look or how it might turn out. I have a 10ft VGA cable with built-in audio which would match this perfectly, so now I can proceed forward with full confidence that I can replicate his efforts on my own console and make it look 100 times more ugly, because that is how duplicating someone else's work always turns out ;)

The DIN socket has sound to it. The leads of the DIN socket are soldered directly to the MOBO. After de-soldering the socket header, it should be possible to solder a very short wire to the now-exposed through-hole for the sound connection. I say “very short wire” presuming you mount the sound socket where Daryl did.

...lee

The audio connections can be seen in the first photo of the TI mobo I posted. Look for two pins soldered in place in the lower right corner where the old A/V connector used to be.

Darryl

I have to say... I put the F18A in today and Oh My... the display looks AMAZING! Makes it a pleasure to stare at the screen for once.

If anyone is on the fence about getting one.. then get one right away.

• Like 2

I have to say... I put the F18A in today and Oh My... the display looks AMAZING! Makes it a pleasure to stare at the screen for once.

If anyone is on the fence about getting one.. then get one right away.

I knew you would notice a huge difference. One of the top upgrades to do for the TI in my book!

• Like 1

I am going to purchase one, after I get some multicarts and other games. Only downside is that I have a dedicated Commodore 1702 for the system. I have heard from many that it is well worth it so I am going to do it. I will need someone to install the VGA mod for me, so if you think you can help me out with that, please PM me. The unit I have is in pristine shape. I just had the ram upgrade so I am ready to do some more gaming mods.

Just moved my TI-99 to a new TV. Unfortunately the TV does not have a VGA connection to connect my f18a to. So I bought this little device off eBay for $16.11 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-VGA-to-HDMI-HD-1080P-HDTV-Video-Converter-Box-w-Audio-Adapter

A VGA to HDMI converter. I works like a charm on my new Samsung TV. Didn't need any configuration just plug in and it works.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 5