IGNORED

Having problems with the AV jacks on my CRT TV...

ataridave

It's a Magnavox Smart Series CRT, about 7-8 years old, and it has two AV jacks-just the white and the yellow. When I plug AV cables from one of my consoles (and they all work) and turn it on, I just get a buzzing sound, with some gray lines that flash across the screen. If I hold the two AV jacks up with one hand, which I obviously can't do while gaming, then I get a perfect picture and sound. It takes a while for me to fidget with the jacks in order to get a stable enough picture and sound for me to be able to just sit back and game.

Now, there is a TV repair place, and they do work on CRTs, not far from where I live. Would it be worth getting this TV fixed, or should I ditch it and just get another tube? I have NO idea what's wrong with it.

It sounds like broken solder joints on one or both of the jacks. That particular repair would not be very high difficulty, if re-melting the solder/circuit board connections is all it needs.

I suppose it depends upon how much you like this particular television and how much the repair shop charges. This sort of repair could even fall into the do-it-yourself category if you have any experience with a soldering iron.

It sounds like broken solder joints on one or both of the jacks. That particular repair would not be very high difficulty, if re-melting the solder/circuit board connections is all it needs.

I suppose it depends upon how much you like this particular television and how much the repair shop charges. This sort of repair could even fall into the do-it-yourself category if you have any experience with a soldering iron.

I don't really have any experience with soldering, so DIY is out of the question. I'll have to get a quote from that repair shop.

What I like about this TV is the excellent picture quality, just because it's not an older CRT. I've seen plenty of CRT TVs on Craigslist, but I have no idea how good or bad the picture quality or sound is on any of them. And I do not want a flat screen CRT, because I love light gun games.

Edited by ataridave