IGNORED

Sega's 3D Classics line for the 3DS

Atariboy

Thought it was about time that we had a dedicated thread on this subject. :) First, here's a bit of background for those that haven't been following these excellent Sega releases from the emulation experts at M2.

Sega, starting in late 2012, started to release classic Genesis and arcade games on the 3DS which have been released digitally via the Nintendo eShop. To date, Sega has released an even dozen games in Japan with a 13th announced for release. All feature 3D graphics that take advantage of the 3DS hardware's autostereoscopic upper screen, enhancements, lots of features and options, and the arcade games are converted to full 16:9 and I believe all have run at 60 FPS.

The first round of releases, composed of Space Harrier (Arcade), Super Hang-On (Arcade), Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis), Altered Beast (Genesis), Shinobi III (Genesis), Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis), Galaxy Force II (Arcade), and Streets of Rage (Genesis) made their way West late last year.

The next wave started releasing late last year in Japan and remains unconfirmed for the West (One reason why I'm creating this thread to help in a small way to demonstrate interest to Sega). Released so far have been After Burner II, Fantasy Zone, Fantasy Zone II, and Outrun. Newly announced is Thunder Blade (Which I've linked to a gameplay video of the arcade original on YouTube below).

All of round 2 are based on arcade releases instead of the partial slate of Genesis games that the first group had (Including Fantasy Zone II which is a port of M2's "what could've been" arcade conversion for the System 16 arcade board of the 8 bit Master System game that they created for the Sega Ages Fantasy Zone collection on the PS2 a few years back in Japan.).

That's the story so far. Here's hoping many more surprises await us like Turbo Outrun and that Sega deems these worthy enough to continue releasing them in the West.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I'm an avid 3d's player and I was actually unaware of this. I like to own real carts and never spend much time on the E Shop, which is probably why I haven't seen these titles. I will be sure to check them out now. I've actually been sitting on an E Shop card my mom got me for Christmas.

It would be great to see both. But where as these appear to at least partially rely on emulation, I imagine both of those would have to be full ports in order to be possible.

I suspect even Outrunners, the pinnacle of Sega's 2D "Super Scaler" technology, might just be out of reach. They weren't even sure Galaxy Force II was going to be possible in the early stages of the project, but this team still managed to make it work.

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/12/sega-3d-classics-–-galaxy-force-ii-interview-with-developer-m2/

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they'll release Thunder Blade in Japan soon. I really hope this stuff comes to us in the west

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-gpRtlnPak

Okay for some reason that video is all squished. Here's the original link I found it on where they do the old red and blue trick to emulate the 3D and it's easier to watch

GoNintendo

Edited by ComputerSpaceFan

• 1 month later...

Sega is releasing a compilation with a selection of these for the Japanese market. Hopefully North America follows suit since the geniuses at Nintendo decided to region lock the 3DS.

Bya8lE5IAAAwHpA.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900554

It will include...

3D Space Harrier

3D Fantasy Zone

3D Outrun

3D Streets of Rage

3D Shinobi 2

3D Ecco the Dolphin

Space Harrier 3D (Master System)

Out Run 3D (Master System)

A second volume seems a natural since there are seven more releases currently in Japan, including Afterburner II and Thunder Blade for two highlights. No nice 3D SMS tie-ins left, though (Afterburner, Galaxy Force, and Thunder Blade were 2D releases on the SMS).

Since their Western arm is so gun shy with these, I wish they'd throw in the whole kit and kaboodle here and give us all 13 3D Classics releases in a single volume. Price it at $20 and I bet it would sell well.

• Like 1

The first round of releases, composed of Space Harrier (Arcade), Super Hang-On (Arcade), Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis), Altered Beast (Genesis), Shinobi III (Genesis), Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis), Galaxy Force II (Arcade), and Streets of Rage (Genesis) made their way West late last year.

I posted about this in another thread, but can someone more knowledgeable than I please tell me where I can find the arcade titles (e.g. Galaxy Force, Super Hang-on, Space Harrier) in the 3DS Shop?

Right now the only way I can find them is by doing a search for the title.. but what if I didn't even know they were available? Where in this thing can I just BROWSE and see that something like Galaxy Force is there. It's nuts For all I know there is a game I would really like and I it's hidden in obscurity in the this unwieldy interface. :P

I'm not big on 3D games, and the one time I tried a 3DS at a Best Buy, I had a headache for an hour afterward. Even so, something like this with a physical release just might convince me to buy a 3DS.

I mostly play with the 3D turned off. The picture is clearer that way anyway. If there were a folding 2DS I'd probably get that.

I posted about this in another thread, but can someone more knowledgeable than I please tell me where I can find the arcade titles (e.g. Galaxy Force, Super Hang-on, Space Harrier) in the 3DS Shop?

Right now the only way I can find them is by doing a search for the title.. but what if I didn't even know they were available? Where in this thing can I just BROWSE and see that something like Galaxy Force is there. It's nuts For all I know there is a game I would really like and I it's hidden in obscurity in the this unwieldy interface. :P

You're supposed to obsessively check it every week for new releases, silly. Or read NintendoLife.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fantasy Zone comes out tomorrow, with Outrun, Fantasy Zone II, and Thunder Blade following in that order each subsequent month.

But perhaps best of all, it appears as if a 3rd wave of releases is now underway.

"3D Streets of Rage 2 Rated by Australian Classification Board

It seems like the Australian Classification Board has outed a major addition to the SEGA 3D Classics lineup on the Nintendo 3DS (eShop). While it hasn’t been officially announced yet (not even in Japan), it looks like brawler classic Streets of Rage 2 will be getting a 3D Classics treatment, joining its prequel in what has been an impressive lineup of stereoscopic 3D remasters."

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/02/11/3d-streets-of-rage-2-rated-by-australian-classification-board/134308/

And I don't think I've posted links to any of these in the past, but here's the latest in a series of interesting developer interviews covering the conversion of each of these titles. This two part interview is centered around Fantasy Zone, with past interviews for earlier releases available at the same site.

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/02/09/sega-3d-classics-%E2%80%93-3d-fantasy-zone-opa-opa-brothers-%E2%80%93-developer-interview-part-1/

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/02/10/sega-3d-classics-3d-fantasy-zone-opa-opa-brothers-part-2/

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...