IGNORED

Sega's 3D Classics line for the 3DS

Atariboy

I wonder if these got forgotten in the change to Amazing Sega and Sega Forever. 3DS releases have been slowing down but it would be nice to have the whole set.

And with the surprising performance of 3DS sales in recent months (The system is over 6 years old, yet the just completed 2016 fiscal year saw an increase in sales from the year before which is the first increase since the system's second full year on the market, and the 1st increase in software sales since 2013.), you'd think Sega would see an opportunity here.

With the slowdown in releases like you said, they have an opportunity here. The Virtual Console is dead, mainstream retail releases are a rarity, and the eShop is just getting shovelware that few take notice of. These may not have stood out so much at one time, but now they'd have little competition on a platform with a large and still active install base.

I'm not so foolish as to think that they have a gold mine on their hands. But surely they'd be rewarded well enough for localizing and releasing these on the eShop at the very least. It would please the diehard Sega fans and I'm confident would yield at least a small profit after expenses.

Edited by Atariboy

How expensive could it be? They don't even have to translate anything since these games all have English versions. M2 just has to do a little bit of editing.

I imagine the biggest expense is ESRB/PEGI review fees, especially if it's split apart and sold piecemeal rather than as a compilation.

Even if they did take a modest loss, I'd argue it's one worth taking. Quite a few of the fans most interested in these are diehard long-time Sega fans. There should be value there in pleasing us rather than turning us off by not localizing and releasing games that we'd like to see appear in the west.

Edited by Atariboy

I think it's more of their track record of SOA incompetence going back to the 1980s. I was going to buy the one package that did come out in the states, and around that I did grab a few of the downloads like Galaxy Fight 2, Streets of Rage, Sonic, Afterburner. But when I realized we got burned on future physical releases coming I didn't buy anything after that including the physical bundle as it just ticked me off. If they don't care to support the region with titles, why bother paying them for the little they do bother with? It's like buying a Japanese manga series of 10 books that someone stops translating/releasing on book 3 leaving you hanging. A waste of time and money.

Oh, I agree -- believe me, I'm on your side, I want these games too. Sega of America sometimes takes its own sweet time bringing things over from Japan, though. It took them YEARS to localize the Sega Classics Collection for PS2, for example, and I don't think they even published it themselves.

Or, to be more relevant, look at how long it took for the previous Sega 3D Classics titles to come overseas >_<

• Like 1

I think it's more of their track record of SOA incompetence going back to the 1980s. I was going to buy the one package that did come out in the states, and around that I did grab a few of the downloads like Galaxy Fight 2, Streets of Rage, Sonic, Afterburner. But when I realized we got burned on future physical releases coming I didn't buy anything after that including the physical bundle as it just ticked me off. If they don't care to support the region with titles, why bother paying them for the little they do bother with? It's like buying a Japanese manga series of 10 books that someone stops translating/releasing on book 3 leaving you hanging. A waste of time and money.

Sadly, SEGA's own worst enemy has often been, well, SEGA.