IGNORED

Favorite Apple II RPGs?

Tempest

I've always been a bit of an RPG fan, and when it comes to the Apple II there are tons to choose from. So what are everyone's favorite Apple II RPGs? They don't have to necessarily be the best, just ones you've enjoyed. Here's my list:

Bards Tale I-III
Wasteland
Dragon Wars
Dark Heart of Uukrull (very underrated, one of my all time favorites)
Centauri Alliance
AD&D Gold Box Games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds,
Champions of Krynn)
Ultima I-V (V being the best with IV coming in a close second)
Might and Magic I & II
Wizardry I-V (IV is too difficult to be fun though)
Kings Bounty (not sure if this really counts)
Phantasie I-III
Questron I & II
Legend of Blacksilver
Wizards Crown & Eternal Dagger
2400 A.D.

• 2 weeks later...

In somewhat order of preference--

Bard's Tale III

Bard's Tale

Bard's Tale II

Dragon Wars

Wasteland

Might and Magic II

Ultima II

Ultima III

Ultima I

Auto Duel

Pool of Radiance

I never played the last 2 Ultima's (sacrilege, I know), but I was a huge fan of the Bard's Tale series and Dragon Wars. Just tonight I was going through the catalog of RPGs on the apple and was looking for one to start playing. Among the ones that I'm considering:

Centauri Alliance - Looks neat, but I was never into Sci-Fi RPGs, and combat looks a little tedious. However, I found out it supports Mouse input tonight, which I didn't know it had.

Legend of Blacksilver - I played some Legacy of the Ancients, and this is the DHGR sequel, looks pretty nice.

Knights of Legend - Really in-depth RPG, detailed, but kind of drags on

Dark Heart of Uukrull - Missed this one completely back in the day, heard it was really well done

Magic Candle - This one was highly rated back in the day, but never had the opportunity to try it

• 2 weeks later...

The ones that stay with me, that I still think back on today, are -

Wasteland - (Still have my chars from 1988 that I ADT'd so I can still play with them on AppleWin)

Ultima V

2400 AD

Battletech (Could have been better, but I still liked it.)

and the Bards Tale trilogy.

Blackbag - Try out Magic Candle. Of the 5 you mentioned, that one was IMO the better of them. Avoid Centauri Alliance. I wanted that game to be good so badly "back in the day", but it just plays like an unfinished game.

Avoid Centauri Alliance. I wanted that game to be good so badly "back in the day", but it just plays like an unfinished game.

I wouldn't say it's unfinished, but you can tell it was rushed and not 'balanced' properly. The game gets brutally hard later on and there are a more than a few skills that are 'out of whack' (so to speak). It's worth playing through at least once, but it's not something you'll go back to play again and again like Bards Tale.