IGNORED

Super Smash Bros. Bundle w. GC adapter

cimerians

Otherwise, this adapter is just a wasted gadget and potentially orphaned hardware if it only ever works with one game, Smash Bros.

I suspect that will grow at least a little bit. Would seem to be a mistake to at least not roll out support for Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U, and Super Mario 3D World eventually (Their big, multiplayer oriented, gamepad based, 1st party releases).

Sadly, with Nintendo quickly backtracking on their store description, I doubt we should hold out hope for much more than that. But I'd likely end up buying it if they at least did that.

Edited by Atariboy

I suspect that will grow at least a little bit. Would seem to be a mistake to at least not roll out support for Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U, and Super Mario 3D World eventually (Their big, multiplayer oriented, gamepad based, 1st party releases).

Sadly, with Nintendo quickly backtracking on their store description, I doubt we should hold out hope for much more than that. But I'd likely end up buying it if they at least did that.

I would buy one for sure if they patch support into MarioKart 8.

• 1 month later...

Game's out today but I think I am going to pass for a few weeks. Maybe wait until next payday. I had pre-ordered it so late the store I did it at told me I was so far down on the list I probably wouldn't get a copy on day one. I just took the full payment off and put it towards some other Wii U stuff I've been wanting. Definitely post about how good it is though. I'm sure it's going to be great.

Well, I didn't get any Amiibos or the GCN stuff (although I have a GCN and controllers) but I did get the game after work today. Happened to get off early, even! So far I did a quick run with Link on normal and 1 online "for fun" 4 player match. Really enjoyed both but a few key points:

(I didn't really read any hype stuff so it was all a surprise)

Level design is great (of course).

I liked how you sort of picked battles on your way through normal mode.

HOLY CHARACTERS. It's really impressive when you load it up.

Not a huge fan of the controls on the Gamepad. It works but felt loose to me. Maybe in my head. Still gotta try the gamepad pro.

8 player on the gamepad screen was an experience I don't know if I want again.

The masterpieces is a pretty neat inclusion. I bet that sells some back-catalog. If you didn't know, they included timed demos of the games each character came from. They start during gameplay so it's a worthwhile thing. Pretty cool.

Excited to play more later.

Someone who bought one of these game cube adapters please plug it into a Windows PC and tell me if the Game cube controllers are recognized as HID gamepads.

On other thoughts, no sign of the official Game Cube controllers at Game Stop, but they were pimping their clone controllers with Game Stop branding on them. The d-pads on the clone controllers look like rubbish though.

I may be in the minority here, but back in the day I bought a bunch of Madcatz Game Cube controllers and I liked them even better than the official ones, mostly for the molded rubber grips.

I also got two Amiibos today, Mario and Peach. My fiance will put them under the tree for Christmas, so unfortunately I can't use the Mii suits in Mario Kart 8 yet. Also i may pass on Smash Bros since I don't have friends to play with.

Edited by stardust4ever

Someone who bought one of these game cube adapters please plug it into a Windows PC and tell me if the Game cube controllers are recognized as HID gamepads.

Well the first thing it says upon opening the manual "...cannot be used on computers", so I didn't even bother trying after reading that.

I'm sure someone will get it to work at some point.

I haven't played the game yet, maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

Well the first thing it says upon opening the manual "...cannot be used on computers", so I didn't even bother trying after reading that.

I'm sure someone will get it to work at some point.

I haven't played the game yet, maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

I hope the guys at Dolphin can get it running at some point. Creating drivers for it is impossible though due to Microsoft's driver signing program.

OK, I gave in.. Went and bought a copy anyway. Waiting is for chumps anyway. :P

Best Buy had an original GC controller. I was tempted to pick it up until I realized it requires the adapter that is sold separately (and was out of stock).

I would buy one just to use on my Game Cube. Although $30 is a bit steep and I already have a pile of controllers for it. Edited by stardust4ever

So if the pro controller works with ssb. Tell me wth would I wanna dangle my freaking gcn controler cords all over for this. Must be a nostalgia gimmick for idiots or to drive up wavebird prices for even dumber people??

Why exactly do you feel the need to insult people who have a different opinion than your own?

Bottom line is that some people believe the Gamecube controller is the best controller for the game. There's nothing more to it than that. I think it's pretty awesome that Nintendo chooses to offer something like this to the hardcore fans.

• Like 1

I hope Ninitendo Patches it even for a few Games

Mario Kart 8

Super Mario 3D World

I'd add New Super Mario Brothers U and New Super Luigi U (Two other big 1st party, local multiplayer, gamepad oriented releases) along with the Wii U Virtual Console to that list.

That this level of basic support wasn't implemented at release just puzzles me.

Super Mario 3D World - How would that work with some levels need the GamePad

Super Mario 3D World already has multiple controller options besides the gamepad. It supports sideways Wii remotes, Wii remotes/nunchucks, Classic Controllers, and Pro Controllers. You only need the gamepad for the Captain Toad levels.

So I'm sure that GameCube controller support would be a trivial matter.

Edited by Atariboy

I almost exclusively played through both NSMBU and NSLU with the gamepad, but I believe that the motion controls were mapped so that the triggers were used for tilting platforms and the shoulder buttons are for spin jump and picking up objects.

Sadly, no Classic Controller support here unlike what we've been seeing since then.

Edited by Atariboy

I've decided I'll just pick up one of those Wii-compatible Mario-themed Classic Controller Game Cube Clones for virtual Console use. Quality should be good because it has the Nintendo Seal on it. Sadly the Game Cube button arrangement sucks for SNES play but I've got two Classic controllers already: the original white one with inverted cable and a black CC-Pro.

Report back if ya do. They're made by Hori so they should be decent.

PDP also has similar GCN style controllers with the same themes, also officially licensed.

I ordered a Hori since not only do they have a good reputation and it has features that PDP's doesn't (Turbo functionality should come in handy in classic compilations and the VC), it simply looks to be of higher quality.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

PDP also has similar GCN style controllers with the same themes, also officially licensed.

I ordered a Hori since not only do they have a good reputation and it has features that PDP's doesn't (Turbo functionality should come in handy in classic compilations and the VC), it simply looks to be of higher quality.

I bought the Mario CC pad at Walmart the other day. It is officially licensed but is made by PDP, not Hori. I played with it last night and I have some interesting things to report. As some of you may or may not know, the original Classic Controller had analog triggers for the L and R switches. I'm not sure if any actual software ever made usage of it though because the analogs were removed in the Classic Controller Pro (Wii version).

Well, the Mario themed controller feels like a solidly built Game Cube pad with a few minor differences. Obviously they added the home and minus buttons. The plus functions as Start. There are also left and right "Z" triggers unlike on the Game Cube controller which only had one. The C-Stick is a full sized thumstick with exactly the same build as the left one. The button arrangement, like original Game Cube controllers, is a poor arrangement for SNES Virtual Console but great for N64 titles. The Dpad is also mushy but functional much like the original Game Cube controllers.

One of the weirder aspects of the Game Cube styled classic controller is that for my large hands, the L and R triggers are much more comfortable to use than the top triggers. But the L and R triggers are actually zL and zR, and the skinny buttons above them are the standard L and R. I can understand this to a point because the Pro controller uses the z triggers on the bottom, but it feels wierd using it for Virtual Console because in Wii-U mode, the z triggers access the menu. Stranger still, the analogs on the original Wii CC are on the L and R buttons. On the PDP pad, the analog "action" is on the Z triggers. My curiousity piqued, I took a phillips screwdriver and opened up my PDP Mario controller. The large contoured zL and zR triggers are spring actuated and have a similar feel much like the original Game Cube controller. When you depress it all the way in, it clicks upon depressing the digital button. The digital portion is a rubber grommet much like any other button. But in order to actuate the z triggers, you must press the button down about 5/16 of an inch or so. There is a spring unerneath each trigger with light tension, but no potentiometer or any type of sliding or rotating actuator to respond to the trigger movement. In short, the "analog" action on the PDP Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach themed controllers is nothing but dummy movement.

So there is no real analog input on the triggers at all; you jus have to deeply press the triggers all the way in to register. This means if Wii-U ever gets Game Cube VC (which I find doubtful at this point but who knows), the PDP CC pads won't be able to run GC games as certain games which require partial actuation of the analog triggers (for instance Super Mario Sunshine for spraying while moving around, or Sonic Adventure DX for running at variable speed) won't work properly.

Overall, it's still a great controller for nostalgia or playing Smash Bros or Mario Kart or any other game that uses the analog sticks.