IGNORED

Atari 2600 VS Dreamcast

mehguy

2600 games are totally different from DC games. DC is a good pick-up-and-play type of system compared to others (it has loads of arcade and racing games), but the 2600 is pretty much the sheer definition of "pick up and play". Very short/repetitive experiences (I don't mean that in a bad way). It's a classic and should be in any gamer's collection, likewise with the Dreamcast.

• Like 3

Scratch around and you can get a VCS and a good load of games for next to nothing. I myself got a Sears Video Arcade light sixer with about 20 classic games (early classic games, as if whoever owned this VCS bought the system and the 20 games from 1978 to 1980 and stopped) for 30 bucks, and it was on eBay!

As for the Dreamcast, you can still find some for cheap if you search deep enough. And games... it's like early CD games, if you really seek for cheap games... But most DC games are not too expensive.

Edited by CatPix

Personally, I can't stand VCS for more than a few minutes a year, but DC has a ton of great games.

Hydro Thunder, San Francisco Rush 2049, Soul Calibur, Air Force Delta, Ferrari 355 Challenge, Test Drive Le Mans, Ikaruga, Capcom Vs. SNK 2, Crazy Taxi, Grandia II, Looney Tunes Space Race--those are some of my favorites.

2600? Well, I like Enduro just fine. Love it actually. Medieval Mayhem, Star Gate, Gravitar and Battlezone are really solid too.

Generally I stick to the Atari 800 line instead, which was a far less primitive system from around the same period. Better versions of lots of the same games, and able to handle more complex titles.

Edited by Reaperman

It's tough... for some games, the VCS is better, and others, the graphics on the Dreamcast are just a little bit better, but not always.

If you look at Mario Bros on the VCS... the graphics are definitely better than they are on the Dreamcast...

Sorry... I was trying to be sarcastic... hah.

This is really apples and starfruit. It's like asking, which should I get, a 1957 Chevy Bel Air, or a 1997 Gulfstream Jet?

• Like 3

Mmm... I love me some DC. But whilst the two machines are know for their arcade ports, the 2 are wildly different. To answer you're question on which is better, the DC is technically the better machine. It's the arcade experience, at home. But that's not to say that someone who likes the 2600 more is wrong. It's personal preference judging two completely different gaming experiences. If you can only afford one, try playing the games and see which you'd prefer to actually own, if any at all.

I'm not sure the Flashback II hold the best games on the system.

Tho, to be honest, "the best VCS games" is a rather complex topic :D

It all depends on yours tastes, really; as mentionned before, comparing the VCS and the Dreamcast is like comparing a bicycle and a tractor, or a Ferrari and a Concorde. They aren't playing in the same category.

I already own a flashback 2 and I'm kinda bored with that already. So I guess I will look out for a dreamcast.

Do you even enjoy classic early '80s games? If not, maybe you have your answer right there. I say this because the Flashback 2 has a pretty strong 2600 lineup, and if you aren't really enjoying it, there's little reason you are going to enjoy an actual 2600 in its place.

I think the Dreamcast, considering the vintage it comes from, has aged the most gracefully of all the polygon-based consoles. I think it held its own against the PS2 and unfortunately Sega was already bleeding from mortal wounds at that time and couldn't hold on. Nice controller design also.

• Like 2

I think the Dreamcast, considering the vintage it comes from, has aged the most gracefully of all the polygon-based consoles. I think it held its own against the PS2 and unfortunately Sega was already bleeding from mortal wounds at that time and couldn't hold on. Nice controller design also.

Very true.. except that cord. WHY did they put it on the bottom with that stupid clip on top that doesn't hold it? WHYYYYYYY!!! >:(

Try Raider of the Lost Ark sometime. Without the manual, you'll get lost for hours in.

And more seriously (well.. why do I say that? ROTLA is an impressive game for the VCS) you can also look at Pitfall II, Secret Quest, Dark Chamber, H.E.R.O... And surely other that will hook you for more than half an hour at least ;)

But I admit most games get repetitive fast, if you aern't the kind of gamer that look for the score.