It is a known fact that many of the ColecoVision ROM files and ROM file collections available in the public domain are a mess and include major inconsistencies, multiple incorrect versions, missing versions, bad dumps, overdumps, underdumps, etc. This project seeks to rectify this situation by compiling the definitive ColecoVision ROM package for all titles that were commercially released throughout the 1980s.
The objective of this project is to compile a complete and clean set of ROM files for all of the titles commercially released for the ColecoVision from inception through to, and including, the 1980s Telegames releases. This project specifically excludes all non-commercial and unofficial releases such as demos, prototypes, hacks, bootlegs and test cartridges, but does include reproductions where they were commercially released as well as fixes to ROMS with known issues. The intent being to provide the definitive go-to commercial releases ROM set.
Following the release of the first public version of this ROM package (v1.1), I am now pleased to announce that a small, but critical, update is being released (v1.2). This update includes the following changes:
- Sector Alpha - new ROM based on actual dumps of the individual mask ROMs on the cartridge PCB. This update includes code that has never been seen before by the public. Major rewrite of the documentation plus a video covering the new code and how to fix your own Sector Alpha cart.
- Tank Wars - it has been confirmed by NIAD that Tank Wars was released in Europe CIB by Bit Corp. The ROM file has been renamed accordingly.
- Added a change log to the documentation (page 2 of the pdf).
ROM Package Contents
The attached zip file includes the following:
- ColecoVision ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases (1982-198x) - v1.2pdf - this provides details of the project (now including a change log on page 2), the methodology used for rom dumping and naming as well as details of the major findings.
- CV ROM Update Project Needs List v1.2.txt - although this ROM package is deemed to be complete there are a number of rare carts that the project contributors were unable to provide. As such it has not been possible to verify if the ROMs in these carts match those of their corresponding main release or if they may in fact be a variant. If you have any of the carts in the needs list I would be extremely grateful if you could send me a PM. My normal approach is to ask if you can send me the cart for dumping and I will return the cart to you within 24 hours of receipt. Return shipping is at my expense but I do ask that you contribute a little to the project by paying for shipping to me.
- Coleco ColecoVision - Commercial Games - folder containing ALL of the new ROM files for the commercially released games. The folder also contains a DAT file that can be used to verify the ROM set using a tool such as Clrmamepro or ROMVault.
- Coleco ColecoVision - Commercial Educational - folder containing ALL of the new ROM files for the commercially released educational titles. The folder also contains a DAT file that can be used to verify the ROM set using a tool such as Clrmamepro or ROMVault.
Disclaimer & Request for Help
Due to the size and complexity of this project I cannot guarantee that I have not made any errors in its compilation. That said, I have done my level best to be careful and diligent throughout and honestly believe that if there are any errors they are likely to be minor in nature (e.g. incorrect name). Nevertheless, if you do spot any errors or problems then please let me know. As mentioned above, I would like for this ROM collection to become the definitive package and as such your help in correcting any problems is essential.
I would like to thank both Pixelboy and NIAD for their extensive help with this project.