IGNORED

SIO2BT

TheMontezuma

Mr-Atari has published the newest MyIDE ][ Firmware (BETA#18) with dynamic baudrate recognition:

http://www.mr-atari.com/MyBIOS

You will find there also a "MyBIOS-R2.ROM" file, which is a custom OS ROM (from Mr-Atari).

You can use it with a standalone OS Switch. It supports Bluetooth communication with 57600 Baud.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Updated MyBIOS, build #3 (30-7-2016)

-Increased more reliable IO over BT.

-Changed HSIO approach on serial devices in general.

-Now supports devices working on 19k2, 38k4 and 57k6 baud.

-Fixed the 850 boot-up failure.

Also modified the 2 tools.

BTCONFIG.XEX (Bluetooth config tool)

SIO-TERM.XEX (Simple SIO terminal program)

-exit to MyIDE-][ menu when loaded with the fat-loader.

Please read the .txt files for more info.

http://www.mr-atari.com/MyBIOS/

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a short status update for you.
The recent SDX Relase (4.48) and the latest Ultimate 1MB Firmware update support now Hi-Speed Bluetooth communication (57600) :)

SDX 4.48 supports Bluetooth independent of the used hardware (U1MB, SIDE2, KMK IDE 2, SDX cart, etc.) and the OS (works with standard XL/XE OS).
Just type in the following command to activate longer timeout:

SIOSET WAITACK 16

The following (optional) command sets the baudrate to 57600 (hsindex=8 for drive X, just replace X with 1 for D1, etc.):

SIOSET X US 8

The Ultimate 1MB got with September update a Hi-Speed support for SIO2BT with dynamic baudrate detection (57600,38400,19200).
This is independent of the OS (the OS has to support PBI) and if we use Sparta Dos X or other DOS (Atari Dos 2.0, 2.5, MyDos).

The SIO2BT module can be easily configured for higher baudrates with the BTCONFIG.XEX tool from mr-atari.

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 4

I have been developing BT communication software here again lately and thought about SIO2BT. I didn't know it existed yet. I did a Google search, and here it is. :) I wondered if the route you chose could work. I figured that it might, but be unstable. Very impressive and I like how people jumped on-board! I love seeing this stuff still being created. The Mr. Atari config utility is a great idea too. I have a couple HC05s lying around, and am in the middle of getting an app out to Beta, but I am going to take a break and try this out! I thought about this a couple of years ago when I wrote my first Android app that dealt with BT, but never got around to it. Fun stuff!

• Like 2

The SIO2BT app update to 2.71 is available at Google Play now.

It provides a solution for a problem mentioned here

Basically special SDX executable files (like btcfg.com from FJC) can be mounted in the app and loaded fom SDX.

By the way, I uploaded the update from the Classic Computing Vintage Computer Festival in Nordhorn, Germany (or "Nerdhome" if you wish).

post-29824-0-37710300-1474275789_thumb.jpgpost-29824-0-94082700-1474275469_thumb.jpgpost-29824-0-75505100-1474276011_thumb.jpg

The ABBUC was present there with a multijoy and many visitors enjoyed playing the "Mashed Turtles" game :)

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 3

I just uploaded the updated SIO2BT.zip file.

It contains now btcfg.com SDX command line utility (BT configuration) from FJC.

Also the documentation was updated. I added a short description for MyIDE II users.

You will learn how easy it is to use MyIDE II (MyBIOS) to load data over Bluetooth using a stock ATARI machine.

I just uploaded the updated SIO2BT.zip file.

It contains now btcfg.com SDX command line utility (BT configuration) from FJC.

Also the documentation was updated. I added a short description for MyIDE II users.

You will learn how easy it is to use MyIDE II (MyBIOS) to load data over Bluetooth using a stock ATARI machine.

Everything's working great but RespeQt seem stuck at 19.2k. The RWTEST.COM results look OK compared to others, but I'm wondering if I should see RespeQt report 57.6k?

Tried RespeQt with both no handshaking at 56k and SIO2BT software setting, same result. Both work fine but report 19.2k.

Thanks!

Everything's working great but RespeQt seem stuck at 19.2k. The RWTEST.COM results look OK compared to others, but I'm wondering if I should see RespeQt report 57.6k?

Tried RespeQt with both no handshaking at 56k and SIO2BT software setting, same result. Both work fine but report 19.2k.

Thanks!

Hi Tuf,

There are two important differences between Bluetooth and cable connection in regard to higher baud rates (like 57.6k):

1) With SIO2BT, it is not possible to dynamically change baudrate, i.e. to switch between 19.2k and 57.6k while Bluetooth connection is active.

The only way to go 57.6k is to change the configuration of the SIO2BT hardware.

You can use BTCONFIG.XEX (Atari executable) or btcfg.com (SDX executable) from SIO2BT.ZIP to change the Baudrate.

You will have to disconnect Bluetooth (for example: stop emulation in RespeQt) in order to make any change.

The changes will be stored persistently. If you want to go back to 19.2k, you need to follow this procedure again.

The PBI SIO driver in Ultimate1MB and MyIDE II SIO code were adapted to support baudrate auto-detection for SIO2BT configured for 57.6k.

With SDX 4.48, you can manually set the baudrate using SIOSET command.

Other Hi-Speed procedures will not work, since they start with 19.2k and try to negotiate higher baudrates.

2) Bluetooth speed is much higher than 19.2k or 57.6k and the communication is throttled in the Bluetooth transceiver (SIO2BT hardware).

This means that a notion of a baud rate for a Bluetooth virtual serial port makes little sense.

The emulation software (RespeQt) always reads and writes as fast as possible and the SIO SPEED setting in RespeQt does not matter.

Please remember to use "Software handshake" for SIO2BT.

Regards

Montezuma

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some days ago I listened to an interesting ANTIC Podcast interview episode with Tom Hudson:

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-48-tom-hudson-analog

He talked about his game Planetary Defense and its new incarnation (2012) embedded in the Atari800 emulator for Android (Colleen).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/202323-planetary-defense-2012/?do=findComment&comment=2591564

http://analog.klanky.com/8bit.htm

The game uses two special features of the emulator, touch events and high score upload using a “new” B: (browser) device.

Due to the fact that the game calls a high level CIO system, it was easily possible to write a B: handler, which sends the URL over SIO to a Smart Device (emulated in the SIO2BT app).
The pd2012.atr disk images includes a B: device handler and the game itself (thanks to a kind permission from Tom Hudson).
If you enable "Smart Device" in the SIO2BT Android app settings, you can enjoy hi-score submission feature with a real ATARI hardware :)

Ultimate 1MB users: Please apply SIO driver in "HSIO+SIO2BT" mode for "All" devices.

Here you will find the game and updated documentation.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Is it also possible to use the Sio2BT to connect to a computer/laptop or so, that has wifi ? So, that the Atari computer can use wifi internet - indirect ? That would be fun. To surf the net wireless with my Atari computers. I've read some topics and heard about programs for the Atari 8bit that make it possible to surf the net.

Is it also possible to use the Sio2BT to connect to a computer/laptop or so, that has wifi ? So, that the Atari computer can use wifi internet - indirect ? That would be fun. To surf the net wireless with my Atari computers. I've read some topics and heard about programs for the Atari 8bit that make it possible to surf the net.

The question is: what are your expectations? What would you like to do?

SIO2BT Android app already provides support for TCP/IP socket like communication over SIO.

This is mainly useful for Atari game/app programmers. The "end users" can just run the example test code, which is attached.

There are many possibilities behind it. Think about Client - Server architecture, where the ATARIs are clients and can connect to TCP/IP servers.

One could implement for example a web browser or networking games, etc.

At the moment, the only web browser for Atari I know is a browser from a CONTIKI project, which is working with a DRAGON CART.

Unfortunately it is tightly coupled to the TCP/IP stack implementation running on the ATARI itself, so it wouldn't be easy to adapt it to solutions based on the external TCP/IP stack (this was at least a statement from Oliver, who maintains CONTIKI).

I do not know if there is any Atari Telnet Client implementations and if yes, if they could be adapted to the external TCP/IP stack.

The APE and Lantronix solutions have a built-in telnet client, so one only need a terminal emulation software on the ATARI side like ICE-T (I have plans to provide similar functionality - a telnet client - to the Android SIO2BT app).

If you have a Raspberry Pi, you can use an existing R: handler and a serial connection (level shifter or a Bluetooth connection required) and use the ATARI as a terminal to work remotely on RPI and run Linux command line tools with a great feeling of seating at the front of the ATARI keyboard :)

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

One question, what's happens with Atari Ethernet projecto, Dragon Cart? website appears as "

This site is temporarily unavailable"...

And I need download the software for a Dragon Cart I bought last year...

I don't know what happend to http://www.atari8ethernet.com, but you can play with your Dragon Cart using CONTIKI software.

• 1 month later...

Inspired by tf_hh I updated the SIO2BT_OS_Patcher tool.

Now you can reset the Atarimax carts (select the bank 0), while executing a Cold Start with Shift+Reset keys.

At least there was enough space for the code (5 extra bytes) in the unused area of the XL OS (XE/XEGS OSs had not enough free space for that).

This feature has nothing to do with Bluetooth, but it may be interesting for AtariMax cart users.

how work kkclient?

First of all you need to enable networking device in the SIO2BT app (since it is an experimental feature, it is disabled by default).

Then you need a PC with a Java Virtual Machine (Windows, Linux or a Mac) where you start the TCP/IP server:

java -jar KnockKnockServer.jar 4444

where 4444 is a TCP/IP port number and you can change it if you wish.

The file KnockKnockServer.jar is in the SIO2BT.zip archive.

Now you can load the kkclient.xex on the Atari from a SIO2BT app.

Atari (kkclient.xex) will ask you to provide the IP address of the computer running KnockKnockServer.jar and the port number (for example 4444) the server is listening on.

Now the server will tell the client so called "knock knock" jokes.

Edited by TheMontezuma

• 1 month later...