IGNORED

Should I get a PS Vita?

I was at my local department store looking at the handheld consoles when I noticed they did not have a PS Vita system for sale. So I couldn't buy one. And it got me wondering. Should I buy a PS Vita? If so, are there any must-have games? What is the status on the system? I've heard talk on here that it's about dead. Is that true?

The Vita is region-free and still has plenty of support in Japan. If you're interested in importing games the Vita is a great system.

EDIT: Here's a recommended game list shamelessly stolen from somewhere else. If it seems to have a lot of weeb games, well, that's the nature of the beast when it comes to the PS Vita.

post-23072-0-46745100-1408394256_thumb.jpg

Edited by BDW

Yes, if you like indie games and RPG's. No, if your looking for EA, Activision and AAA titles. (or tons of physical releases)....and the memory cards are still a rip-off.

Guacamelee first came out on this system and its still one of the best games I've played in years.

It's a great system with lack of support (think Nintendo) with a nice screen (early models are better for this). It also plays a bunch of mobile games too because its part tablet (touch screen).

CPUWIZ, on 18 Aug 2014 - 3:30 PM, said:

Easy:

(youtube video of Tempest 3K snipped)

When that came up on PSN, I bought it immediately. I would have sworn on anything that it said "PS3" and not "Vita".

So, I purchased a DLC title for the Vita, but I have no Vita nor any current firm intention of purchasing one.

It depends, but if you like niche Japanese games like RPGs and brawlers, the Vita is a must have system. I'm not talking about import titles either. Companies like XSEED, Atlus, and others are localizing into English some of the most amazingly off the wall concept games that we probably never would've gotten in the past, like Akiba's Trip, Deception IV, and the upcoming Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus.

If you don't like that stuff, then I'm not sure you'll enjoy the Vita all that much. But if you do, there's lots of fun to be had.

Edited by Zenimus
  • Like 1

There's fun to be had for sure. Then again, there's not many consoles I can think of from the modern age where fun couldn't be had.

I think that's besides the point. If you wait (most likely) just a few months, these things will be on clearance. All that GameStop has is a side rack, identical to the original DS, with a handful of games.... no systems. Department stores... even worse. The only games that seem to ever be announced are PS3/4 ports, but most of the time the system is on dialysis.

Again, if you want to buy one in the future. Great. There are certainly a decent chunk of games to enjoy for it. But there's simply not enough to justify a purchase now while the unit (and needed memory cards) are still very expensive, with a game library that's all but halted.

It's a shame. Unlike the Wii U, the Vita hasn't caught it's "break". It hasn't had that one game that starts to turn things around. And it should have it, because it's a fantastic piece of kit.

But recommending the system to someone at the current price based on it's position and current library.. look guys, I know you might like some of the games, but you can't honestly stand behind a dying system and say it's a good value right now.

Wait.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

If you can get one for $75 like I did, sure. Even at that price, though, I'm a little disappointed with Sony's support for the system. It's been relegated to an accessory for the PS4, and that's hard to justify when the Wii U offers something similar for much less.

Oh yeah, it also bears mentioning that the Vita has sold fewer units in the same amount of time as the Dreamcast. I like the system, but I really hope Sony doesn't go through with this foolishness again.

• Like 1

I don't think you have to worry about a 3rd handheld from Sony. Clearly, they've conceded this area to the smartphone and are just eking out what they can from this investment.

I can't imagine a replacement being green lit. Any Sony mobile gaming after this will surely be as a component of their Xperia smartphones.

Edited by Atariboy

Yes, if you like indie games and RPG's. No, if your looking for EA, Activision and AAA titles. (or tons of physical releases)....and the memory cards are still a rip-off.

This.

Although I've put more hours into Need for Speed: Most Wanted than any other game on my Vita so far. That is one of the best driving games I've played on any platform, not just the Vita.

The Vita hardware is dynamite and there are quite a few good games available for it. My problem is I'm just not a mobile gamer so the Vita just isn't very useful to me. It never leaves my house, and when I'm at home I naturally choose the PS3 over the Vita when I want to play games.

I've tried to sell mine before but got no takers. I'll give you a good deal if you want one. :)

• Like 1

The Vita is region-free and still has plenty of support in Japan. If you're interested in importing games the Vita is a great system.

EDIT: Here's a recommended game list shamelessly stolen from somewhere else. If it seems to have a lot of weeb games, well, that's the nature of the beast when it comes to the PS Vita.

attachicon.gifVita.jpg

I see a couple more games in the future release section that I'll certainly be buying (Those definitely coming out in NA) as well as a few that don't currently have a promised NA release. I doubt I'd go through the effort of importing unless the price was right, so hopefully those will end up with a NA release.

Oh yeah, it also bears mentioning that the Vita has sold fewer units in the same amount of time as the Dreamcast. I like the system, but I really hope Sony doesn't go through with this foolishness again.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Then again, I know at least in the beginning the DC sold rather well.

I don't think you have to worry about a 3rd handheld from Sony. Clearly, they've conceded this area to the smartphone and are just eking out what they can from this investment.

I can't imagine a replacement being green lit. Any Sony mobile gaming after this will surely be as a component of their Xperia smartphones.

I agree. Especially in the state Sony is in right now, with them shedding off unprofitable divisions, I can't see them going a third time into a profitless market. It's sad, as I've actually quite enjoyed the hardware they produced. But they don't seem to understand that making devices that try to be a console experience, but worse, is wrong. They should have eventually learned to take N's approach to instead create unique games you can't get anywhere else, and for a lower price at that.

Even still, I think the Vita could have been ok. It got FANTASTIC media coverage and praise at first.

And then they announced memory cards were priority and ridiculously priced. After that, they really haven't had the same media hype since. In fact it all but killed the hype for it's launch in the states. I remember them not pushing out nearly as many systems as they thought they would...

I see a couple more games in the future release section that I'll certainly be buying (Those definitely coming out in NA) as well as a few that don't currently have a promised NA release. I doubt I'd go through the effort of importing unless the price was right, so hopefully those will end up with a NA release.

You should try Demon Gaze if your into Wizardry type 1st person RPG's. Very well done.

Also, OlliOlli and Zero Escape are worth checking out. Good stuff.

I love the entire Uncharted PS3 series, but for whatever reason I never got around to playing the Vita version. I had my Vita with me last week and had to kill time waiting for my wife's plane to land and decided to play Uncharted. The game is incredible and I can't believe I hadn't played it since buying my Vita. Some of the motion that is required has gotten a little old as I play.... such as doing charcoal rubbings.... but the storyline is great, the controls are responsive, the graphics well done, and music is fantastic.

Walking Dead is excellent on the Vita. Plants vs Zombies and Pixel Junk Monsters are also incredible versions. Sonic Racing Transformed is excellent also. Between these games and the offerings from Atlus and Xseed, I'm very happy with my Vita.

• Like 2

I love the entire Uncharted PS3 series, but for whatever reason I never got around to playing the Vita version. I had my Vita with me last week and had to kill time waiting for my wife's plane to land and decided to play Uncharted. The game is incredible and I can't believe I hadn't played it since buying my Vita. Some of the motion that is required has gotten a little old as I play.... such as doing charcoal rubbings.... but the storyline is great, the controls are responsive, the graphics well done, and music is fantastic.

Damn, I skipped it too, now I have to play it. :) I loved the original three on console. I have a downloaded copy through PS plus and just never thought to try it.

Does it take place in between the three games or after them? Are familiar people in it? I don't want any spoilers etc.

Basically wondering if Sully and Ellen is in it or Chloe? I get attached to some of those characters almost like a TV show. :P

Sorry, I'm on Chapter 14 and so far no Sully, Ellen, or Chloe. It seems to be a totally independent game of the others and I believe I've heard only one or two references to Sully. But the game has the same quality writing, dialog, jokes, and voices, though. And most importantly, the fun.

There are a LOT of things to find, discover, and solve within the game, much more than in any of the 3 PS3 games (IMO). As an example (without giving away too much), there is a part in the game where you have to escape by sliding downhill within a waterflow. There are a LOT of objects to collect on your way down and I missed about 80% of them as I was surprised to see them and too busy trying to guide myself around logs & rocks (which can kill you if you hit too many).

My only complaint is that some of the stuff becomes old after a few times doing it, such as taking pictures or doing charcoal rubbings. They really went out of their way to incorporate all the features of the Vita within the game and you have many control options open to you.

Edited by Mendon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...